You know you're having a bad day when....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Guest, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm glad I'm not that guy!

2. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

could have been worse

Admittedly, this guy is going to have a hell of a time due to the incident, but he could have done a lot worse....thankfully there was only a minor injury involved....

guy should been carrying an M or S with safety on....probably had himself a glock.....

Must say i do love a real manual engage safety on guns....

3. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

That is a funny story indeed. I'm glad nobody was seriously injured. That brings up a question: If you are carying IWB and you need to use a public restroom what do you do with your weapon? Can't really leave it hanging out there for everyone to see while you take care of business... 8O

-D

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a fist #20 and it offers enough retention I don't worry about it .

I also lower carefully and make sure the muzzle remains pointed down.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I guess the moral of the story is to let the gun hit the deck and rely on the drop safety to do its job. Sounds like he got his finger on the trigger, which caused the negligent discharges.

A lot of IWB holsters are designed to only have retention when they're in place. That's one of the criticisms I've seen of the Tucker series (The Answer, Texas Heritage) -- they rely on the added pressure from the belt to hold the gun in place. Once it's no longer mounted, the holster will slip right off. So far my C-T.A.C. seems to hold no matter what -- and it's still easy to draw.

Guess I'd better "go" before I leave the house!

6. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

I agree 110% with Ranger M9, if that had been a Steyr with a manual safety engaged there wouldn't have been a problem.

I also think that if Atlanta deputies had been issued Steyr M-Series pistols with the manual safety that individual who shot a judge and court reporter before going on a killing spree throughout Atlanta may have been taken done before he could figure out how to fire the weapon.

Just one of a million different reasons I always feel safe with my Steyr M-40.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

While a manual safety might have helped, I'm not sure the Steyr safety would have been particularly effective. Since the cop obviously got his finger inside the guard (causing the discharges), there's a pretty good chance that his fumbling around would have pushed the safety off. It's much harder to engage than it is to disengage.

In this case, a 1911- or Beretta-style safety would probably have helped the most. Of course, the best safety is not to drop your gun!!

Jim

8. Ripped

Ripped New Member

ahh, alas one of the many reasons i refuse to carry "HOT"

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ah...but I'd rather have this than the alternative, which happened to me at the range last night. I used up all my loaded magazines, so I reholstered my Walther P99 empty. I loaded up a mag and inserted it, then finished loading the rest. With my new target posted, I drew for a Mozambique shot and heard the dreaded "Click". I hadn't racked the slide and chambered a round. So I had useless gun in my hand.

I know that everyone makes the argument for training..if you train to cock, if you train to release the safety. I just don't trust myself, in the heat of the moment, to not miss a step. It also makes it a lot easier in the event (God forbid!) that I take the first hit and am now forced to operate with my weak hand only. Trying to draw from concealment AND chamber a round with my weak hand sounds like a recipe for disaster. I prefer to deal with the gravity of carrying a chambered round than having a problem using the gun when I need it.

Everyone has to find their own comfort zone and live there. This just happens to be mine. If I have a negligent discharge, you may hear me singing a different tune!

Jim

10. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

true enough

Jim, very true if your finger got in there, then you could have bumped the safety off, but it is better than none, and in the lightweight polymer...(i.e... glock lock) handgun game....the steyr is just one notch safer in my book.

Yes...1911 style would be the safest bet in that situation...

other than Ripped's comment....don't carry hot....

now...as i live in a state where i can't CCW...it is not an issue for me....but i'm still with Ripped.....i don't put one in until i am ready to fire...at the range or at home....if i've got time to get my gun if i need it, that extra .5 sec to work the action is not going to matter much....and frankly....just the sound of an action being worked would make me back off if i were the agressor in such a situtaiton.....but hey...them criminal types are not so bright in the first place.....

11. ministerofdeath

You're assuming that the individual not only applied rear pressure on the trigger, but also upwards pressure in the area where a Steyr M-series manual safety would have been. In addition, he would have had to first disengage the manual trigger with appropriate force and then apply force to the trigger in that order to fire a round.

Now, while the above is certainly in the realm of possibility I believe that the actual chances of an accidental fire start to decrease significantly in a manual safety scenario.

In closing, no firearm is 100% idiot proof and I'm sure even with a manual safety, 1911 style grip safety, etc., etc., some moron will still find a way to achieve an accidental discharge.

12. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

nothing is idiot proof; there's always a bigger idiot.

as a trained cop he should've known better than to try to catch it.

however as someone who plays w/ knives all day i know better than to try to catch one if it gets dropped. hundreds of times I've just jumped back and let it fall (into my toe once).

One time i did catch my favorite filet knife (same one that went thru my shoe into my toe years later) just after I'd sharpened it. 8O that one hurt a bit.

Like navy said; bad day.

may we all never ND 8)

13. Guest

Guest Guest

14. ministerofdeath

Well, I think its easy for someone who carries a firearm everyday, day-in and day-out, for years to become almost too comfortable with it. My Grandfather was an extreme gun-safety person, and never trusted that any weapon was ever on safe or not loaded. My Grandfather was always aware of where his old 1911 was and were it was pointing.

Maybe its just me, but it seems that improvements in safety devices on pistols or any firearm for that matter mixed with marketing from manufacturers like Glock that stress those improvements have caused people to become far too comfortable around firearms. I heard a U.S. Marshall actually say on Fox News during a search for a felon that Glocks "fire better when dirty..." now talk about insane.