Wow, What is Going On With Steyr?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by ministerofdeath, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Ok,

I'm a little concerned.

First, they are a no show at SHOT for some reason.

Second, neither Onpointfirearms or Davidsons currently sells MA1 pistols. Onpoint doesn't even list them and Davidsons shows them as not in stock.

I'm hearing all kinds of rumors like:

1. Steyr is having serious financial problems.

2. They've pulled their pistols from the shelves to fix the extraction problems.

3. The BATFE are giving them a real hard time and paper work isn't being filled out correctly for shipments.

What is going on? Has anyone from Steyr said anything to us loyal Steyr customers?

2. steyrile

steyrile Member

I'm more than a bit concerned. I wrote asking for common field-replaceable parts such as springs, etc to keep on hand in the event something fails to keep the gun running.
    No luck getting anything out of them. I should ship my slide and get the new style extractor installed (since they refuse to send the parts only) for my beloved M9 despite the fact the original extractor is fine but the real concern is if these guys go belly up AGAIN I could lose my gun in the shuffle.
    It's always struck me as odd that Steyr USA has never participated on this forum and their no show at the SHOT show bodes ill for what the future may hold for all of us here.
    Perhaps there isn't the inventory of 10,000 Steyr firearms CDNN can liquidate this time around and distributors such as Davidsons showing none in stock is a fluke while waiting for the shipment of guns and parts to arrive here in the states.
    Health & Peace,
    Steyrile

3. littey

littey New Member

we'll just have to wait with our fingers crossed

4. bianchi59

bianchi59 Guest

5. breechplug

breechplug Guest

That does it for me, I'm going to Glock!

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *plug :p

How much for your M-A1? Keep in mind that I can get a brand new one with 2 hicappers for $349 from CDNN. Get back to me ASAP. G'luck with the Glock. They're pretty nice pistols and who would wanna keep an ol' Steyr anyway. 8-O Come to think about it, I'll give ya $150 cash! :p Whataya say? :D

Wulf

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

go for S&W M&P similar ergonomics and a trigger that can be rather nice.

8. breechplug

breechplug Guest

I do like the M&P for a 9mm, and the glock will be a G29 10mm. I might get rid of my M-40, I've been serching all the shows ETC. looking for a rail adaptor with no luck.
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Steyr but don't like the company that makes it!
    :(

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

The picture gets clearer now.

10. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

I own a M&P 9mm, for the money it's awesome. My brother has a M&P in 40S&W and it's nice to shoot also. I'm not big on Glock, but I've got my eye on this used G20C at the local toy store.

My Steyr(M357-A1) has been gone for a week now and in it's absence I purchased a Sig P226R. According to UPS tracking info my M357-A1 should be back in my hands on Friday, but when it gets back it's gonna be a little lower on the totem pole. Even w/ a new Extractor & PT-sights my Steyr may have fallen from grace.

Got Sig?
    ________
    mugdava

11. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

So if your Steyr needs servicing do you risk sending it back now? No way!
    We can only hope that this all gets sorted out quickly.

Buzz

12. WPM

WPM Guest

For now, I'm going to keep my M9-A1 as long as it's reliable, or I can't get it repaired anymore. If I do decide to replace my Steyr, the M&P 9mm is going to be the gun I buy.

Later,

WPM

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I will also keep mine as long as it runs, but I have my previous CCW guns (Glock 17L and 19), and Colt 1991-A1 and CZ 40B as other alternatives.

14. steyrile

steyrile Member

Re: Steyr close to bankrupt

WTF?
    The plot sickens...

15. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya mug* :)

I'll send ya $350 for your M357-A1 soon as I get the OK from ya. Money order OK? Let me know ASAP. Thanx. :p

Wulf

16. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Wulf!

I just said it fell a notch on the totem pole while it was away gettin' repaired. I'm not lookin' to sell it. As soon as I get it back(Thursday-Friday) I plan to take it to the range along w/ my new Sig. :D
    ________
    mugdava

p.s. I gotta shoot my SOCOM II & my bros Bushmaster 223 tonite at the range. No pistols, but huge fun! :D :D :D

17. Ripped

Ripped Guest

Re: Steyr close to bankrupt

i would not call it a solution.. maybe a temp fix at best. Steyr has a bead rep of running dry on funds quickly. this is twice now in the US they have showed thier ass. thank goodness i can at least rely on my G23c till the cows come home. :)

18. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam, Ripped 8-O

You hunt cows with your G23? 8-O What kind a ammo ya usin' for that? :twisted:

Wulf <-- Wants a G23 Like Ripped

19. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

gee, starting to feel like ive wandered into the chicken little hen house. why all the hysteria, folks seem awful eager to jump ship. yeah, steyr is apparently having some problems but i go to my local dealer a couple of weeks ago about gettin a 357 and he calls steyr and gets them in. no big deal. So, maybe i'm missing the big picture but my pistols numbered 53thousand and something and as far as I know they are still making quality firearms.

20. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hehehehe..."squirrelpotpie"... <-- ya gotta love that handle :p

...anyway, -Bloody Hell- 8-O

For me, the excitement isn't about the Euro-manufacturer fu*kin' up again, its about the f**kin' parts and service available in the States for what's already off the shelves and in my narcisitic little hands :!: Steyr-Mannlicher can go tits up again for all I care as long as I can still get parts and service for my M357-A1, to keep it reliable and tack-drivin'. Aftermarket items? Like what? Holsters? There's plenty of makes and models already available and I still prefer my own designs. <shrug> SC members are workin' on a holster kit even now. <shrug> Flashlights...lasers...silencers...grenade launchers... :roll: I can do without 'em all over my concealable. <shrug> A better trigger kit, well, I'm thinkin' bigtaco has that base covered and it'll be available soon enough. Stainless steel guide rods? <shrug> Again, check with BT...all in the works. Hicap mags, mag springs, followers? Wolff makes better springs anyway and S&W makes 15-round stainless steel hicappers for my M357-A1, kinda ;). 17-rounders if I really wanna push the envelope. 8) So, cheer up guys. We'll know soon enough what's in the wind if for no other reason than it smells like it. In the end, Steyr-Mannlicher slippin' off the American grid again, well, there's a long history of their ineptitude in dealing with the American market. I'd still rather have onna these sweet shootin' puppies than a multitude of other firearms that I feel like I had to "settle for". Just because you can load up your aftermarket options to include a laser sighted, flashlight mounted, silenced, grenade lauchin', 30-round, select fired compact brick with a stealth-mode switch doesn't mean you're better. :roll: Give it a few more days and we'll know our next step to this Euro-dance. Till then, I'd still like to think that the parts and service issues are being considered and all is not lost. For now, Jack Riddle and Jeff at SAI have our 6. :)

Wulf <-- Digs Fat Ladies :p