Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I braved the cold today with my grandpa to go do some shooting. We were both using 9mm - I had my Steyr C9A1, and he had a Sig P250 compact. We stuck my Viridian C5L on the bottom of his gun, though even the green laser was a bit difficult to see on the snow in the bright daylight. Regardless, the difference in the two pistols struck me - I'd shoot his Sig with the double-action trigger and high bore axis, and I was accurate, but slow, and it took me a while both to get the sights back on target and to execute a proper trigger squeeze. Then, I went back to my Steyr, and it was like coming home! It just fit my hand better, had much less pronounced muzzle flip, and the sights were easier to align for me. I was MUCH faster with follow-up shots, and accuracy didn't suffer at all. In fact, I was more accurate with my Steyr with irons than with the Sig with the laser! That might have more to do with familiarity though. My Steyr is still new, but we've got a pretty cool bond going on now - It's definitely my favorite. I had been feeling kinda iffy on my Steyr after the light-strike problems, but after seeing the Sig choke on the same ammo a bit, and feeling the difference in ergonomics between the two, I felt much better about my choice. I gave it a good cleaning as an apology for my doubt, and I'm putting it back in my holster with confidence. Now all I have to do is wait for my custom holster to arrive, so I can CCW with my Viridian!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ah yes, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. That is a lesson I have learned several times overs when it comes to handguns. I am glad you are back in love with your Steyr.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The p250 is a nice pistol.

Lasers take more effort to aim if you ask me.

Pistols should and mostly are designed to be aimed naturally.

When your looking for a laser to aim instead of letting your muscles do all the work, then it takes more effort.

I've noticed with a laser site people tend to focus on trigger pull, like you were mentioning, because they are looking at how much the laser is shaking around or moving while pulling the trigger.

I see a laser site as a good trigger pull practice method if you can watch the laser and look down your sites to see if your pulling clean or jerking.

But for actual aiming purposes it doesn't do much for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm going to be keeping it for low-light shooting when I can't see my sights well.

As for the Sig, it's a fine pistol, and I really like the interchangeability of calibers, grip sizes, etc. but it just isn't as ergonomic as the Steyr. The double action is nice for my crappy range ammo and dry fire practice, too, but I much prefer the Steyr trigger for actual shooting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts