Would YOU buy it? FN PS90 5.7 X 28

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by DocChronos, Apr 14, 2007.

1. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

Okay, so I know many of your opinions for/against the 5.7X28 ammo. BUT, and this is a big BUT, I have an opportunity (and opportunity rarely knocks twice--and besides, it's like I tell my wife: "This could be an investment").

I have an opportunity to buy a PS90 at cost. I know cost varies around the country, but let's say around $1400, with one 50 round mag. Would YOU buy it?

Here are a couple links for those of you who don't know what I am talking about.

http://www.ps90forum.com/
    http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firearms ... gid=FNG006

What do you think? Would you spend my money for this?

Second question: Would you spend YOUR money for it?

I have 24 hours to make up my mind.

Thanks,

Doc

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I am one of the most fervent detractors of the 5.7x28mm you will come across. I think comparing the cartridge to 9mm NATO is a joke and the weapon system/platform is one of extremely limited application. Having said that, if I had the coin and at $1400, I would buy it. You will not beat that price and the weapon would make a different/great plinker and show piece. I would personally resell it after the fact, but I definitely wouldn't fault a guy for keeping it.

3. smores

smores Guest

I'd love to have one, but in non-standard ammo that's expensive and hard to find (notwithstanding the ballistics portion...) just that alone wouldn't convince me to buy it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the P90, and if I had a bunch of money I'd get a PS90. However, at the time I have to save up for a couple months just to get a handgun (and wait for a tax return for a good rifle), so I won't be getting one any time soon :(

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I think I would pass. :(

5. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I will pass on it.

Doc

6. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

The ammo isn't hard to find...it's just very expensive. You cannot even purchase virgin brass for it, so that means you must buy factory ammo in order to get brass. I like how compact the PS90 is, but the optics that comes with the carbine sucks. You will have to drop more money into a good red dot to get it to run properly. I also disilke how expensive the accessaries are for the PS90. I personally wouldn't pay $50+ for a brass catcher.

IMO, even though you can purchase the carbine for cost, I'd buy a complete AR, mags, ammo, and an Ultradot Strike Dot for the same amount of money as the PS90.

7. smores

smores Guest

Agreed. For the same chunk of cash a more complete weapon system can be had, and one that's much less costly to feed.

If I had 8 H&K P7's in my safe like someone else :wink: I'd probably have the cash to pick one up.... but right now I'm scraping and saving to buy $500 pistols. A PS90 is not in my immediate future :p

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Like I said - he could have picked up the PS90 and resold it - would have had that much more for a better weapon system (read almost anything else :twisted:). Still, it would have been kind of a PITA to unload it (at least in a timely manner), so it was probably better that you passed it up.