Working the range - IPSC/USPSA

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ETH77, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

I'm still climbing the ladder - long way to Ben's Master level.

I shot at an indoor range on Sat. At 15 yds held my 15 rnd group in the 6 ring while pushing my speed. It's still not double tap, but a 15 rnd burst takes a little more effort to keep it in a 8" circle, at least for me.

I've put the IPSC targets up in the back yard for dry fire a la Steve Anderson. Thunderstorm came through and tossed everything on the ground, then turned it into damp, mushy cardboard. I wonder if there's a market for moisture resistant IPSC targets?

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

we shoot in the rain occasionally as long as it's not TOO windy.

the target stands are staked into the ground and we put a clear trash bag over the target pulling it tight against the front. works well enough. you can paste the target through the bullet hole in the bag and just change bags between squads while the next squad is doing a walk through.

my next skill is target transition. i can hammer down on 1, 2 or 3 targets from one position but when i run to the next target i spend too much time finding my sights.

my plan of attack is just having 1/3 scale ipsc targets around the house. then i can practice running to various rooms and finding the new target/sight picture. i live by myself though so turning my house into a dry fire shooting range doesn't annoy anyone.

3. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

LOL, I did just that with a full size target. I placed it right behind where the front door opens, so guests didn't see it. From there to the center of the living room was 40', so it was great for practicing drawing and sighting. I still don't have a timer, gotta get one.

Dummunition (empty cases with bullets and no primers) make great weights in the mags. The difference from empty to full changes your draw. My cases have yellow paint, but that's leaving on Sat. too much paint makes it into the receiver. I'm coloring them with Dykem blue. I've also put a "P" on all four sides of the practice mag for safety. It's always loaded and stored in a different room from live mags. I unload the weapon in the other room, leave the slide back, and move to the practice mag. When I slap it in I know that it's got practice ammo inside, and a slide check shows it.

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

that sounds like a very well thought out safety plan. i just use empty mags and the weight is definitely noticeable. i should ask my reloading buddy to crimp me some dummy rounds.

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Sounds like a good dryfire safety plan. The only thing missing is a safe backstop in case of a screw-up. Local GM tells story of how he was dry fire practicing, finished, decided to do one last shot and shot his chimney. Oops, he had reloaded with live ammo.

BTW, I made Master in IDPA, not USPA. Master in in USPSA is harder to make, and I'm currently B-class in USPSA.