Working my way up the ladder

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ETH77, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

I shot with the Brazosland Pistoleros yesterday. I managed to be 12th in Limited, and 18th out of 26 shooters. I'm just too damned slow! Shooting no-shoots didn't help either. I've been trying a technique that I read about on Brian Eno's forum, where you start the trigger pull for the second shot while the recoil is still in motion, so when the sight picture is correct the shot breaks quickly. That got me a couple of mikes. The good news was that on the farthest target group from the box, I got a double alpha.

Summary: more practice is necessary!

2. blueorison

blueorison Member

Great job, Steve.

Btw, that method works mostly for their race guns that have 1911 light slack then crisp break triggers; essentially a 2 part feel. For our Steyrs it's a short, 1 stage break, so it would most likely cause you to preemptively stage and break the trigger too soon.

For such a short trigger I don't think that method is beneficial. Now when I'm shooting with a glock or CZ75SA with takeup, I definitely do think it makes a difference.

I put in an order with Rich for a Big Taco modified holster, and USPSA rules have changed in 2010 slightly for holsters.

Hope to get to play soon, let you know how I do. I myself never get the chance to practice, school is just too darn busy all the time tryin to graduate. But once I get my pistol I'm going to practice reloading, especially since I'm shooting production :(

3. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Reloading is a real key for speed. I'm not bad, but then I've practiced with my dummuniton. A weighted mag really makes a difference in feel. You don't need an empty mag in the gun, the weight just isn't enough to matter, but bringing that weighted mag up to the well really makes you watch the mag. People have told me bullets to the front, it seems to work, but I'm not sure it's a major difference from bullets to the rear. It depends on how you rotate your arm. Get someone in Austin to load you up some 9mm bullets in cases with no primer or powder (duh), get some Dykem and color the cases so you know the dummies. Put P's on your practice mag, and don't ever take the practice rounds out.

4. blueorison

blueorison Member

I'll do you one better, Steve,

I strip the gun down and only use the bottom half of the empty frame to practice with live ammo :)

No way that it can go bang.

From my limited practice with the Steyr, it seems that I probably won't be able to improve my speed than where I already am at; the mag well is quite production and at that it doesn't leave much clearance. I think I really just have to bring it to a match and see what I have to work on from there.

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

my last match i finished 5th of 12 with some mechanical issues as noted in the post.

what i noticed looking at my scores was that speed wasn't my problem.

there was a stage where i was the 2nd fastest BUT i had the lowest point total. no penalties, just a lot of charlies. and i got 48%.

there was a stage where i had the slowest time BUT the highest points. and i got 74%.

the 100% is a master class shooter who i think is shooting at GM level but we'll see how his latest classifiers stack up.

because of the way they're scored, shooting limited major is much different than shooting production. in production every point counts. in limited/major, there's a potential that you can shoot fast enough to make up for a few charlies.

the other bit of knowledge i recently digested is that it's points/time.

on a short stage like an el prez, the difference between slow and fast is only a couple of seconds. take the time and get the points. you have a bigger numerator and your denominator is pretty close.

on a LONG field course, the time plays a much bigger role in the score. the sensible advice is "shoot as fast as you can accurately." well... if you want to go from 50% to 65-70% without getting too nutty, this is the time for imperfect sight pictures, "see one/squeeze two", throw two at the swinger and GO. rather than spend 5 seconds getting your 2 A's on the swinger, throw 2 at it and move on. maybe you hit it!

the only way to get into the 90-100% range is to shoot A's with that same speed.

i've tried a million different variations and i really haven't been able to miss fast enough to win. i know the GM's shoot A's blindingly fast. with me it's one or the other. having a plan on when to aim and when to hose will bump you a bracket for sure.

as far as reloads... practicing "static" reloads where you stand still is one thing. but i try not to ever stand still and reload. i always want to reload when i'm moving. practicing "dynamic" reloads... reloading while moving is a very valuable skill.

i also notice that i tend to move, set my feet, find my target, align my sights and squeeze. if i moved with my sights visible i'd be able to align the sights while i was setting my feet and the squeezing would commence sooner. it's common that my shot to shot time in a moving transition is 1-2 seconds slower than the 100%. if you give me 5 movements, i'm down 5-10 seconds, during which time no shots were fired.

also been doing some dry-fire between targets. i tend to shoot:

pop,pop........................... pop,pop............................. pop,pop with the occasional charlie

pop...pop.............pop...pop...............pop...pop is what i'm working on. faster and second shot more reliable A's

pop,pop....pop,pop.....pop,pop people that do this with all A's are the GM's. i'd be happy to transition this fast
    even with the occasional charlie.

6. blueorison

blueorison Member

You also forget to mention GM's use light-arse triggers and their guns are optimized for fast reset. I've shot some guns that have horrible resets and are not good for IPSC, cuz they don't go fast enough.

But yeah, I get that. The main point is acquisition and coordination between sights and moving and trigger. I'm the guy who blazes fast and get's low accuracy. I do slow down for some stages, but usually it's more fun to blast. I do do it for competition, but mainly for fun and for practice.

This summer I think I'll have a week or two to train myself, finally. I'm going to take it. Now that I have my own production pistol to shoot.

The GMs usually are smooth on their feet, and they keep moving and squeeze off as they see it. This works, but sometimes with production, having to reload 3-4 times, this breaks up the cadence as sometimes you cannot plan a reload on a transition and have to do a standing.

Just gotta do the best with what you have!