Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Now I have a pleasure to own a new Steyr M9-A2. When I was reading the manual, I saw this under part 10, Technical Data. As you can see L40-A2 is listed next to L9-A2, then M40 -A2 next to M9-A2 and on the next page, which I didn't photograph there is C40-A2 as well. Do you know anything about those new 40 caliber A2 guns? Any expected release date/availability? Please, share.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My understanding is no they won’t bring them in. 40 isn’t a popular around outside of some LE circles and it was slowly going away in the states. After the panic is done it will most likely start to trail off again so I doubt it’s a good investment for the civi market which is a afterthought to Steyr. While 40 is popular in some LE areas that ic changing but Steyr has always chased gov contracts so I believe the inclusion of the 40 A2 is for those contracts and not us. Now I would like to get one and go 357sig but with ranger gone that’s out the window. So in short I doubt it. That said Steyr is suppose to release two new rifles this year later in and hopefully those don’t get pushed back due to filling panic orders as the inventory preorder for them is pretty low already and Steyr has allocated 5k rifles they haven’t built yet. Fingers crossed civi market gets more love in the coming years especially as they see their profits grow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This now getting even more interesting. First, do we know if .40 cal A2s are in production already or still just prospective models? Second, I don't know any semiautomatic pistol that is available for the US Law Enforcement, but not for the civilian market. Do you? Sometimes we see LE special prices, but we can always buy the same Glocks, Sigs, Berettas, S&W etc police uses. Again, I am talking about semi-autos. Do you think Steyr .40 A2 are going to be the first pistols of this special restricted category? But why? The US civilian market is larger than any government contract Steyr or anyone else can get. Why avoid it? There are plenty of firearm enthusiasts buying .40 cal police trade ins. and .40 cal in general.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No I have no clue if they are in production. I mean is that Steyr Austria is focused on LEO and mil contracts and the civi market is a after thought. State will often make items to the contracts requirement and if they are tooled up and a contract came in they may do it. Hey if there is overflow from it we may get that. There are a lot of possibilities such as it’s only made for contracts since it won’t sell much to make it worth it in the civi market or while the A2 was being designed 40 was still popular but its fall and agencies switching to 9mm mean it won’t go production. I guess what I am trying to say is regardless of its inclusion I doubt we will see it in the states. Steyr USA I believe also stated only 9mm. You have to remember in response to the civilian market while HK hates you, Steyr doesn’t know you exist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I remember Europe does not use .40 cal. I heard Australian police has. 40 cal pistols. Canada?! I am not sure. Therefore, the US remains the largest place for the .40 cal. That means when Steyr releases the .40 A2s, they will definitely be targeting the American market. Some people swear that Steyr m40 A1 is the softest shooting. 40 cal they have tried, perhaps due to the very lower bore axis design. Would you concur?

·
Registered
135 Posts
As far as I remember Europe does not use .40 cal. I heard Australian police has. 40 cal pistols. Canada?! I am not sure. Therefore, the US remains the largest place for the .40 cal. That means when Steyr releases the .40 A2s, they will definitely be targeting the American market. Some people swear that Steyr m40 A1 is the softest shooting. 40 cal they have tried, perhaps due to the very lower bore axis design. Would you concur?
I agree with you on it’s a good 40 and 40 is typically a us gun. If an agency asked for it and they were tooled up I believe they would do it for them but the only guns we would get are overflow but I don’t think they will. My understanding is agency contracts have far less bs to deal with then civi sales but I don’t have knowledge on any agencies ordering from them. Really two I have had experience with was glock 22, DD ar15 and mossberg 590. The other was sig 220, mossberg 590(I’m sure they use ar15 now too). Also every communication has been 9mm only from them. If 40 was still big they may but with 40 largely going away and agencies moving away from 40 to 9mm I don’t think we will see it. I recently spoke to a old friend that his agency made him turn in his Glock 22 for a 17, which he swore he would never do. I was a 9mm guy he was a 40 with plenty of jabbing. Steyr never did well in us leo circles either. The 40 Steyr was a good pistol but I sold it with my 40 glocks/sigs awhile back when I started to standardize and buy barrels of ammo. while it was a good pistol I don’t think they sold much and after the crazy I think 40 will continue to dwindle and be under valued. Given that I think they would be better suited to pump out as many 9mm guns as they can right now. Steyr like most companies when given the opportunity to support their guns with a wide product line and accessories, fails to do it. Regardless of their product line we never really get the conversions or even small accessories like grip modules that are promised or done by competitors. Don’t get me wrong I like Steyr and use a aug/L9 in competition while carrying a C9 as a edc but Steyr really fails to support their guns and while I would think they have become more popular the aftermarket for them continues to dwindle with ranger point leaving and now LM retiring as the only optics cut. That said Steyr USA stated in the next gen optics cut will be a priority when I spoke to them but who knows when that will occur.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of getting m40 A1 at some point, but now I hope that eventually we will see m40 A2, so I might as well wait.
Under the circumstances it makes more sense to look for S9 or S40, because those aren't in production anymore and there is no updated versions planned. What's your experience with S9? Have you ever handled S40? I have seen several S9s on gunbrocker. Haven't seen S40 for sale anywhere yet. It seems a rarity.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was thinking of getting m40 A1 at some point, but now I hope that eventually we will see m40 A2, so I might as well wait.
Under the circumstances it makes more sense to look for S9 or S40, because those aren't in production anymore and there is no updated versions planned. What's your experience with S9? Have you ever handled S40? I have seen several S9s on gunbrocker. Haven't seen S40 for sale anywhere yet. It seems a rarity.
I haven’t had a S40 but I like the S9 well enough and have carried it some as a edc. I like the smaller size but the capacity makes it not worth it for me. My understanding is it was designed to take 10 round mags due to the bans and they never made new mags for it but it could easily take 12 or more if redesigned. Because of the low capacity and its general size including how fat it is i switched to the C9. While I had the S9 I found it to be less comfortable to hold or conceal then competitors. Heck I felt the sig 938 with rubber grip had a better grip for shooting then the S9, but that also is down to7 rounds. While my view is if they remade it then I would consider it more as a edc since it needs a better grip and magazine in its current state I will take a C9 over it and probably a Glock or sig is a better option. That said your right with them not in production it only becomes harder to get them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just an FYI guys, you can take the upper slide assembly from a A1 series 40cal and drop it into an A2 frame as long as its the same length. I do it all the time with my L9A2 and L40-A1, works just fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just an FYI guys, you can take the upper slide assembly from a A1 series 40cal and drop it into an A2 frame as long as its the same length. I do it all the time with my L9A2 and L40-A1, works just fine.
I do the same with my optics cut since L&M isn’t able to another cut for my A2 with winding down for retirement. The problem is you lose the upgrades to the slide like the new extractor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts