Will the M40A1 12 round mags work in the M40

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by diaset, Nov 28, 2007.

1. diaset

diaset New Member

Hi all,

New to this so please bare with me. I'm thinking of getting the M40 and was wondering if the M40A1 12 round mags work in the M40.
    Also I have not purchased the gun yet so I would like some feed back on The M40 versus the M40-A1. I like the trigger safety for ccw. Any opinions would be great.

Love the sight

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Steyr "M" and "M-A1" Series Magazines are identical, and fully interchangeable....

Only Difference between the two series is basically the change of grip, addition of standard accessory rail, and deletion of Manual Safety [US market Only].....

Let us know what you get and how you like it after!!!!!

:wink: :wink:

3. diaset

diaset New Member

Thanks babj615,

I'm leaning to the M40 but that may change. I will make up my mind in a day or two. I will post what I get and post again once I get it and go to the range.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Perhaps we can help you decide which model to go with? Why are you learning towards the older model now?

5. diaset

diaset New Member

Well I am leaning toward the older M40 cause of the trigger safety and because I read some where on this site that it has a better feel to it.
    I was hoping to get the next ones coming out in Jan. If they ever come out. But I open to all your feed back and expert opinions.
    Please tell me what you guys think of each one. Which one feels better if one shoots better. Any info would help this newbie to Steyr.

:shock: :lol:

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Which one feels better is purely subjective, and you will only know after you have held/shot them both....

I prefer the feel of the newer grip, but wish they had the manual safety from the older style...

The newer frame also has a usable rail on it...

I 'personally' would prefer the newer frame myself...

But, heck.... I own 8 between the two types.... so I can have either anytime....

:wink: :wink:

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I with babj on most points...

I'll only add that I really wanted a manual safety when I ordered my M9A1. It's just one of those things that you think you need before you have it, and after the fact you realize you are better off... If the gun will potentially be used for carry, I highly recommend the new A1 style without a safety. If its intended function is nightstand duty, again - you would be better served by the A1 series because of the picatinny rail for attaching a weapon light. If it's just going to be a range toy, then it really doesn't matter. YMMV...

8. diaset

diaset New Member

Thanks for your feed back guys It a is real help.

As for carry, yes it will be a carry. I am in the jewelry bus. and I sometimes carry a lot of jewelry on deliveries. Plus I will be carrying in the store.
    Just last week two guys went in to a store two towns over, they burst in and took two shots at the workers. Well when every guy behind the counter went for their guns the two perps fled. They were caught 15 miles away fleeing the cops. I would like to get it in a sub compact if they ever come out again next year. But to have in the store a full size is better.

:? :?