Will Steyr start serializing our trigger group like Sig P320?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ihatecars, Apr 26, 2020.

1. ihatecars

ihatecars Member

I was searching for a 357SIG carbine / a way to turn a pistol into PDW to go with my M357 A1 for the benefit of having a pistol and a rifle in the same caliber. It would be nice if the magazines were interchangeable but that's less important for me when the presence alone of any guns in 357SIG is appreciated.

Searching in general for any semi-auto chambered in 357SIG with barrel longer than typical pistol length, I realized Glocks and Sigs had strong aftermarket support although they don't make it from the factory. Some 6" barrels were in stock but I believe I could order them longer and threaded. Then I start looking for PDW platform. Ruling out the Roni kit since I didn't like how the gun is braced to the body, I came across a product called X01 by Fire Control Unit for P320. It uses everything from the "donor" pistol down to the magazine release except for the polymer grip frame.
    X01 link : https://firecontrolunit.com/?product=exo-one-320-grip-module

If you have field-stripped your Steyr and went one step further to remove the trigger group from the steel frame(don't lose the slide lock spring lol), this will make a lot of sense to you. Since P320's trigger group is what is considered "the gun", we can swap out the polymer grip frame with something that is easier to hold and aim with. Just like you can put different grips and stocks on your AR15, which is the receiver.

I didn't care too much for IGB Austria's Steyr shoulder brace, nor the Roni kit but this PDW platform taking advantage of modular construction of a pistol really makes me drool. Not really sure on the legalities of fitting the X01 to work with Steyr since we have serial numbers on more than just the trigger group, but I would like to take on the project if I was able. Any chance Steyr starts marketing "Hey we have modular lego pistols too! I mean rifles! I mean both! This is both!" with more barrel options..?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    HVerg likes this.
  2. Housertl

Housertl Active Member

The A2MF has a serialized sub-frame. Only available in 9mm, although the A1 slides should interchange. All someone needs to do is design the PDW housing.

3. ihatecars

ihatecars Member

I did not know that about the A2s. That's good to hear.

4. Case

Case Well-Known Member

The A2MF Have the serial numbers inside the fire control group that is now technically the firearm , Unlike your M9 m40 & A1 guns where it is the polymer lower frame and not the fire control group .
    Granted it is not Steyr but that Kris vector comes in 357sig as a pistol of rifle.
    The biggest problem with sticking an oversize barrel inside and L model for example is that at some point the Browning action will not function as designed normally this is around 1.5 to 2 inches .
    So far the closest thing that has even gotten into the world of Steyr for a PDW was the Aug 9mm kit.
    Trust me when it comes to 357sig I am one of the biggest fans of the round . And have been thinking about this Sense getting Rpp to make barrels 2years ago. Just haven't came up with a 100% idea yet.

silentheart likes this.
  5. ihatecars

ihatecars Member

I am also a 357 sig fanboy but I tried to keep it civil but I guess i can't hide it very well hahah.
    I had a feeling Kriss would make them in 357 and I'm sure they have at one point, but right now I can't find them on the website. And just looking at the barrel length, I wouldn't want to pay ~$500 more to get shorter (5.5") barrel length despite the superior overall design vs PDW chassis for pistol. Lone Wolf makes 5.85" threaded and Bar Sto also makes "extended, threaded" but doesn't specify length. P320F(ullsize) comes with 4.7" barrel so I'd safely bet it'd be over 5.5" including the threads.

Now it comes back to the barrel you mentioned. I didn't know there was a limit for using an extended barrel in a shorter slide. I just saw some silly 8" barrel glocks and assumed there was no restriction. There is a youtube review I saw that is running 6" barrel out of P320F so I'm guessing it's good to go. Which I hopefully believe would mean that ~6" extended barrel would work with Steyr's L size slide.

Funny enough, Steyr's official website sometimes stocks factory new 357 magazines for M pistols and they're in stock as of right now. But for pistols, there is only L9 A2 on the website available and nothing else. I hope they keep bringing "parts" over and by parts I mean M, C, S frames and shorter barrels/slides as well as extended ones:D
    I realize I don't see a 40SW for A2 pistols but I wonder what's costing Steyr so much that they're not interested in supplying just the barrel. Maybe Sig could teach them the trick... lol

------------------
    update : Bar-Sto will do 6.5" P320 barrel for ~380... dang..for 380 they could be making a small batch for Steyrs lol

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Case likes this.
  6. silentheart

silentheart Active Member

I wish Steyr would make or release m40a2 mf. I could not wait longer and just jump on a chance for a m40a1 gen2 used. Got a rcm 357 sig barrel. Now I have a m9a1 and m40a1 w 357 sig combo. But I so wish to play m40a2 mf LEGO with M9a1. I guess the older Steyr pistols have the fun all to themselves.

Case likes this.
  7. Case

Case Well-Known Member

That's what I did with this one .
    The gen4 slide is the same as the gen 5 ( A2MF) it just doesn't say MF and the Ejection port is a little different.

Michael Dobesch and silentheart like this.
  8. HVerg

HVerg New Member

9. HVerg

HVerg New Member

resize_22.jpg resize_30.jpg I've had a FCU XO1 ever since they first came out and have it configured for 9mm, .40 and .357sig my preferred caliber for this platform. In the age of 3D printers one would think that what you propose for the Steyr MF lower would not be that difficult, but I will tell you that FCU's initial momentum on this design has pretty much slowed to a trickle. In any case, I will eventually permanently swap out my P320Compact EDC in .357 into this PDW format once my replacement has been vetted. With the donor 320Compact slide, I ended up using a full-size barrel as the percussive wave from the muzzle blast transferred directly to support hand (thumb) painfully so. OEM barrels have ruled the day as what Case touched upon above regarding stacking tolerances is certainly applicable here. Maybe FCU would be interested in doing something for the Steyr trigger group, but they have promised much and delivered little as far as bringing any of them to market. Hope this answers some questions.

ihatecars likes this.
  10. ihatecars

ihatecars Member

Showoff ;) Thanks for the info. I just hope they stay long enough in production so people don't forget thier modular pistols can shift shapes.