will a rail adapter work on the S40???? someones gotta try.

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by polik6887, Feb 23, 2007.

1. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

alright I have heard some conflicting reports. some poeple say that the muzzle blast will knock the rail adapter off of an S series. I think it could be avoided by shortening the adpater and using a super short light like the 2.3" long XML, and may not even be a problem at all. So can we finaly get a definitive answer, will the rail adapter work on the S40??? somebody try it out. You are the steyr god if you can answer this for me definitively.

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya polik* :)

1 question, Bro...

Why ya needa rail adapter for an S40? Ya gonna add a grenade launcher? :shock:

J/K. PM Madecov and I think he'll have an answer for ya...or maybe even bigtaco. Good luck and hava great weekend. :p

Wulf

3. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

I don't have the rail adapter, but I do have the optics mount for my M40.

I'll try putting it on my S40 later tonite and post the results.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

best to have one built custom. the rail adapter available is not suitable for defense use on a S series imo.

can get a picatinny rail extrusion from egw inc
    http://egw-guns.com/catalog/product_inf ... eb435a8b7e

find some aluminum stock and a place with mill. get a set of calipers and measure everything on the front.
    research and develop a design then refine it so its easy to machine,functional and durable.

take a machine shop basic and advance class and should be good to go.

5. loneeagle308

loneeagle308 Guest

I mount a light on my S40 when hunting at night for whitetails. They never see whats coming. 155 gr point blank then I pistol whip em cos I hate to waste bullets on good venison.

6. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

I can only afford one pistol, I figure a compact .40 is a good compromise. A light would be nice on a bedside gun. would love to know if it would fit. those new lights are pretty damn small.

7. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

It won't work, and I'll tell you why.

The tabs are too far forward.

On my M40 when I put the optics mount on and crank it down good and tight its fine, but when I put the mount on my S and crank it down half as tight it starts to push the ends of the frame together thus preventing the slide from moving. Thats a bad thing.

8. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

theres got to be a way to make one work.

what if you ran two or three small screws through the bottom of the frame, and put recessed lock nuts in the rail. do you think the screws would interfere with the recoil spring. maybe you could get really flat headed screws, or grind down the heads to clear it. do you think it would hold strong enough?