Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wichita PD decides to move away from .40S&W and back to 9mm, citing advances in bullet technologies that levels the playing field with regard to terminal ballistics. They are also issuing AR-15 rifles to all officers, citing emerging trends in active-shooter response tactics as well as some interesting bits about modern architectural design increasing engagement distances between officers and aggressors.

http://www.kansas.com/2011/09/07/2004932/police-score-new-guns.html

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hmm. Downgrading the handgun, upgrading the long gun. Doesn't it kinda seem like they're sending mixed messages about the effectiveness of the 9mm?

·
Registered
142 Posts
they are not downgrading the gun, they are becoming aware of the improvements made in the 9mm ballistics

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly. They have studied their officers shooting performance and concluded that the officers shoot better with the 9mm than they do with the .40S&W, and the terminal ballistics for both cartridges is almost identical with modern bullet design - hardly a "downgrade".

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
A good decision, especially when LEOs are shooting less then 600 rounds a year, much less then many of us shoot in a month. Now we will see in the next year or so the stats of shootings with 9's. Shooting my Steyr 9 mm, was easy and accurate. I hate the 40. Never liked it. I'd rather shoot a 45acp

·
Registered
121 Posts
they are not downgrading the gun, they are becoming aware of the improvements made in the 9mm ballistics
I certainly agree that the 9MM ammo has come a long way in the last decade but the same bullet improvements have also been made to the .40. I own all 9MM pistols at the moment but I have to think that maybe their decision was influenced by female officers that did not like nor could shoot the .40 effectively. If I am wrong it won't be the first time but I have not met a lady yet that really liked the .40.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I certainly agree that the 9MM ammo has come a long way in the last decade but the same bullet improvements have also been made to the .40. I own all 9MM pistols at the moment but I have to think that maybe their decision was influenced by female officers that did not like nor could shoot the .40 effectively. If I am wrong it won't be the first time but I have not met a lady yet that really liked the .40.
they may not like the 40, but a few here do carry the 45cal and they are LEOs

·
Registered
128 Posts
My first choice when I upgraded from my Intratec CAT-9 was to Steyr C9. My second choice would have been the XD class from Springfield Arms. My dad (One for "keeping up with the Jonses") rushed right out and purchased the .40 in the XD. I held out and waited for my Steyr. And to this day he still gives my Steyr that wistful look...while his XD sits in his safe, growing dust. The only think I can say for him is that he is lucky, here in Cheddarland .40 ammo is still on the shelves. 9mm here is about a buck a bullet. I still think that these companies that are filling the 1.6 billion Homeland order needs to cancel it and stock the shelves instead. The public will buy it all up. Those companies that stopped selling to the police when those areas tried to pass restrictions on citizens from owning AR-type weapons got a boost in sales, think what would happen if the makers of the ammunition followed suit and announced they would be shipping to stores instead.

If only...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts