Steyr Club Forums banner

Why wasn't the A3 produced in 556 vs. 223?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rawheadjim 
#1 ·
I love my Sabre Defense Aug A3, but my AUG's are my only military type rifles that is chambered in 223 instead of 556. I also have a pre-ban AUG that it's nearly mint so I avoid shooting it. I have a fair amount of surplus 556 I picked up before things got crazy with ammo prices. Any idea why Steyr chose to only produce AUG's in 223 for the U.S. instead of 556, and will they change that in the future?

#2 ·
The US made Aug is in 556. As I understand its just marked as 223 as that is a civilian cartridge v the 556 which is considered a military cartridge.
Many years ago FN did the same thing with there US import FN FAL rifles. The receivers where stamped 308 instead of 7.62x51. The rifles where all 7.62x51 but where marked 308 as that is considered a civilian cartridge and not military.

You are fine to shoot all the 556 ammo that you have.

And should you have any concerns, I'll be more than happy to take all your 556 ammo at .10 cents each... ;)

#3 ·
Thanks Michael, that's a relief!. It seems like I remember hearing that about the FAL's but didn't know the same was true for the AUG. I'll let you know if I need to dump some 556 cheap. Since I have quite a few others rifles in 556, it may be a while! My A3 is superb with PMC bronze. If I hadn't had one round that was a flyer, my best group would have been under .7 inches at 100 yards. Even with the flyer it was 1.3", with some nice match ammo and a better shooter than me it could easily be under 1moa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.