Why Steyr?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Azamator, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Azamator

Azamator Guest

I wonder why Steyr`s still an enigma in the market? Glock seems to be ruling, even Russian Makarov is more famous! In my area you can find not so many pistols for sale but Steyr is hard to get...

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Free capital to invest in advertising and distribution; and probably management problems/priorities.

3. Azamator

Azamator Guest

Asking because going to buy my first non-Makarov firearm and thinking on buying Glock or Steyr... Joined the Steyr Club to decide...

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I think the (much) better trigger sells the Steyr to most of us. Also, the M series seem to be the pistol of choice for a lot of us who just plain don't like glock.

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

steyr hasnt been around very long in pistol market or marketed as much as other pistols. steyr has been around a long time though with rifles.

most of us probably bit into the liquidated models I know I sure did.
    $350 or less is a steal.

6. Azamator

Azamator Guest

Thanks a lot for comments! Is there any info if Steyr is at least as reliable as Glock? No other choice here, really.

7. smores

smores Guest

I tried to get a bite but couldn't get one... (living in MD sucks). Just go hold an M-A1 pistol. If you're like me, after that point holding a Glock will feel like you're holding a 2x4. The grip of the Steyr M-A1 series is phenomenal.

I know as soon as I find one in my area, I'm going to purchase one :)

8. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

I shoot my M40 A-1 with great success. Other Glock owner's with my shooting club said they preferred my Steyr to their Glock for the way it fits in the hand and the low recoil. I don't own a Glock, but fired one on several occassions. I still feel the Steyr is a better choice for CCW and for the range.

For anyone qualifying with the Steyr for their CCW, you get a lot of people shaking their heads. I was even asked if I would let one other classmate if they could use my pistol for their shooting.

Not Bad Huh?

Take Care and Good Luck !

MidTNShooter

9. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

On Saturday, I was at the range just pluckin' away. When one of Our local Police Officers stopped in to say hi! He noticed my SOCOM II on the counter and said "looks like You've got some hardware". He then noticed my ammo box and pistol cases and said "Steyr, what's this?". John, the Store manager said "That's a Steyr M357-A1, it's a nice piece". So, I opened the box and let Him check it out. He said "This is a fine weapon, I bet it's expensive". I told Him "It was only $500.00" and asked if He'd like to try it out(He carries a Glock and swears by Them!). Needless to say, He loved it and pitted the ace w/ 10 rounds!!!
    ________
    mugdava

10. As others have said when you say Steyr folks think rifles (mostly the AUG), and they are very new to the mass production of pistols for sale in the United States.

While Steyr Arms in the US has great service and sells a superior product the head office in Austria kind of feels that marketing their pistols is not needed. Steyr Mannlicher feels that a great product will sell itself, which isn't always true. Fortunately though Steyr was just bought out by a famous German Hunter and his hunting millionair buddies who is a top notch business man so we may see some changes soon in how Steyr pistols are marketed.

11. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Hope carl Walther can give some cooperation in U.S. sales and distribution

12. Azamator

Azamator Guest

Damned! Seems to be I have no chance to get Steyr in Estonia! We have just few stores here and they finished with Steyr:((

13. Keep bugging them to go back to taking shipments from Steyr.

Steyr pistols are top notch and very affordable.

14. Azamator

Azamator Guest

How can I? They say "we sell 30 times more Glocks than Steyrs"... I know Steyr marketing problems but now hope situation will improve.

15. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Azamator!

I've got one Steyr and one Glock in my collection. The only reason I own a Glock is because Steyr doesn't make a 10mm pistol! 8-O Don't get me wrong the Glock is a fine weapon(OK, maybe not G21), but the Steyr M-A1 is something special.
    ________
    mugdava

16. Azamator

Azamator Guest

Hi Mugdava,
    You`re right. But the only reason I`m going to have a Glock is I cannot have Steyr in Estonia...