Why should I buy a M9-A1 ove the Glock 19?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Guest, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Okay, start shooting.

I have been concidering a styer or the PX4 or ...
    Reliability seems to be in question even here at Styer Club.
    My wife does like the sooooft recoil on my G19. And if she gets peppered in the head with spent shells I'll never hear the end of it.

What can I expect with the Styer?

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

You can expect
    Softer felt recoil
    better trigger with faster re set
    better ergonomics

The new A1's aren't really plagued with problems, occasionally one has a few minor issues. It really is a better gun overall.

3. mikey

mikey Guest

There's a lot to like about Glocks, but (for me at least) I could never get my hands comfortable on one. The Steyr "M" series, without a doubt, have much improved ergonomics. That sold it for me.

Whether it's important to you, though depends on one's particular hands. :D But, I'd certainly give the Steyr a fair shot. Compare the two side-by-side and see if the Steyr's ergos convince you.

If they don't, then buy the Glock and be happy!

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *mo :)

Shoot 'em both. Then, you tell me. <shrug> Both are good prospects.

Wulf

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I own both. I bought the Glock 19 first and then my Steyr m9-a1 about 10 months later. I have had the Steyr for about 2 months now. I rarely shot the Glock because I like my Steyr so much more. Keep in mind that my Glock is modified (3.5lb trigger, match grade barrel, adjustible night sights, 22lr conversion kit etc.), yet my Steyr shoots better right out of the box. It took me about three visits to the gun range to get comfortable with the trapizoid sights, but now I would not use any other type of sight configuration. The Steyr has less of a recoil, feels better, extracts consistently, quicker target reacquisition, quicker trigger reset, better quality. I do like the tennifer finish on my Glock more though, and the fact that there are more aftermarket items available for the Glock. Oh yeah, the trigger pull/feel on my Steyr seems to only get better with use. By the way, I will be selling my Glock 19 and will replace it with an S9-A1. I recommend you get your hands on each and see which one feels better. I hope this helps.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Why is it that no one talks about reliability and if the new Styer have had any FTF or FTE. Just hear about the triger and the grip.
    Is there not more to the M9-A1 then this?

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *mo :)

I can't speak for the M9's because I'm really not into 9MM's, but my M357-A1 is exceptionally reliable. I can only remember a couple of FTE's and that was with some hot 125 gr JHP 357 magnum bullet reloads that I was workin' with at the time...flattened primers, over-expanded brass...that kind of thing. It was obvious what the problem was. <shrug> Once I backed off, no problemo. <shrug> In my personal experience with handguns, I haven't had a more reliable pistol, from Kimbers to Colts or Sigs to Glocks, though I will make note that my Walther P99 (40 SW) is pretty darn reliable, as well. I don't have some great need to defend any manufacturer. I like what performs best in my hands and that knowledge can only come from my personal experiences shooting each firearm. <shrug> Punchin' holes in paper or dancin' cans, so far...this M Series Steyr works for me. 8) If you're really scared, get an 870. :wink:

Wulf

8. steyrile

steyrile Member

I've been shooting an M-9 about a year now since buying it new. Have had absolutely no problems even after 1000+ rounds.
    This Steyr cost about half of what the Glock would have set me back so to someone on a budget it was a no-brainer at the time and has proven to be an xlnt choice.
    Combat Handguns called the A1 "absolutely user friendly - perfect for the everyday Joe!" which although not necessarily what I wished to read does imply a mechanical simplicity and reliability one could stake one's life on.
    The grip and the futuristic styling are certainly plusses.
    So many great guns out there and so little money... :(
    Health and Peace,
    Lance

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I have shot well over 3000 rounds in my Steyr and have only had approximately 3 FTE and they were all with the same ammo, Federated FMJ rounds. During the 1 year I have onwned my Glock 19 I had roughly the same ratio of FTE. I haven't had any FTF issues with the Steyr yet and only about 2 with the Glock (keep in mind that I have shot more rounds through my Glock though)

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Everyone has already covered the main selling points, so I'll only address your concerns about feeding and extraction...

There are cases of a few lemons that just couldn't be made right, but you will find that with any manufacturer. People don't talk much when all is working fine and dandy, but when someone gets a lemon they hit up 10 different gun forums and ask for help - that creates an unfair perception of how reliable the pistols genuinely are.

That said, when I first bought mine I had some serious problems. My slide was not locking back on the last shot of the magazine and I was experiencing FTF's about once every other mag. I sent them back to Steyr and got 2 new ones (EXCELLENT customer service - they practically spin products back to you) and have been reliable ever since.

It seems that members who do have troubles with FTF's and FTE's are most often experiencing these problems with almost brand new guns. Folks I have talked to who were having troubles said they pretty much disappeared after the pistol was good and broken in roughly 500 rounds later.

If you absolutely cannot except breaking a pistol in before carrying it, or if that is just plain unacceptable to you, then you might not want to gamble with the M-A1's. Remember - not ALL owners report problems - it's just that those who do are by far and away the most verble. You will hear about it when it happens to someone else. You probably won't hear much from the guy with 7,000 problem-free rounds.

I personally think the M-A1's are about problem-prone as any other top quality pistol on the market. There are lemons and there are some that are finicky in the beginning, but you always risk that when you buy a NIB pistol. The choice is yours, of course, but as others have suggested, shoot the Steyr next to the Glock and you'll understand.

11. madecov

madecov Active Member

As far as the finish.
    Tennifer is a metal treatment NOT a finish.
    The phosphate black is a finish and has no bearing on corrosion resistance.

12. What Makes the Steyr M9-A1 so Special?

The Steyr has a supported chamber while the Glock has an unsupported chamber.

The Steyr trigger is much more crisp than the Glock. In other words it feels like it has a much cleaner and shorter stroke than the famous mushy Glock trigger. The Steyr is in fact one of the best double action triggers on the market in my opinion.

The lower bore axis and angle of the grip gives the shooter an advantage in that you come down on your target in a natural point. A lot of gun companies claim to have "natural point" Steyr is probably the only one that in fact does have natural point in my opinion.

The Steyr is a very solid pistol wrapped in a metal frame with a polymer body.

Thanks to the low bore axis and the ergonomics of the grip there is both less felt recoil and less muzzle flip. I own both an M40 and M40-A1 and have had many friends comment how it felt like a 9mm. This makes follow-up shots very easy and improves overall accuracy.

Steyr has tortured tested the MA1 series with more than 10,000 rounds placed down range without failure. Recent improvements in the MA1 have made FTEs a rare event these days. Also as stated should you end up with a lemon Steyr Service is probably one of the best in the industry.

It is a nice pistol, but it is not for everyone and it is not perfect (although pretty close). The Steyr does not like cheap ammunition and if you're shooting range reloads you may have to toy around to find what it likes best. Most people stick to WWB and have limited to no problems and of course it is nicely priced and readily available. The Steyr does have to be cleaned and does require some lubrication to function well so if you're one of those guys who hates cleaning his pistol you probably should go with the Glock. The trapezoid sights aren't for everyone, but they can be easily swapped out for night sights or tradition three-post sights.

13. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

steyr's trigger doesnt have side to side play like most glocks I have shot.

steyr when shooter does his part is a tack driver. glock is accurate.

glocks grip doesnt work well with my hand steyr is much more compfortable and feels like an extension of myself.

Steyr is easier to clean nooks and crannies while glock and other guns are why they created the dunk it bucket cleaning method.

14. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, swmo,

I've never fired the PX4, but I would definitely get the Steyr over the G19. My M9A1 has less felt recoil than the G19 or even the G17. I'm also one of those who finds the Glock grips really uncomfortable. The reliability of the Steyr is pretty awesome. I've had three FTEs with my M9A1 in more than 3,000 rounds that I've fired. I think reliability issues are probably as much related to the shooter as they are to the gun. Last night, I was at the range with a buddy. He'd never fired the M9A1 before. He had a handful of FTEs in 100 rounds of WWB 115-gr FMJ. I was kind of shocked. Then I fired 100 rounds of the same ammo with no malfunctions. I decided he was probably limp wristing. Read sasops' range report to get an idea of the reliability https://www.steyrclub.com/modules.php?na ... highlight= The accuracy is even sicker. I think out to 30', nothing beats the trapezoid sights for quick target acquisition. It may take you some time to get used to them. I was at the range with another buddy who'd never fired the M9A1. Actually, he hadn't fired a handgun in about ten years. He was struggling to keep his shots anywhere on the paper at about 25'. He called me over to take a look at the gun. I showed him my grip and told him about not anticipating the trigger break and everything. I aimed at a quarter-sized orange target spot, and nailed it. My buddy was kind of apoplectic. Then I took another shot at the same target. The previous hole got just a little bigger to one side. My buddy was kind of catatonic. Try to fire any gun you're considering to buy, but you won't go wrong with the M9A1. Good luck,

15. charmincarmens

charmincarmens New Member

I have been CC for a couple of years now with my G19.I go to the range 2 to 3 times a month,it is flawless.I just bought a M9 A1 and it is the sweetest shooting piece there is.Everything about it is smooth.I only wish I had more confidence in it for CC,but I don't.It is new with only 60 rounds threw it and it has FTE 4 times.I clean and maintain all my hand guns after every range time.I will not give up yet,I am off to the range next weds. with a 100 rounds of WWB. STEYR,ONE SWEET PIECE. RA ALL THE WAY.

16. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, everyone,

I just got back from the range. I fired 100 rounds of CCI Blazer aluminum case 115-gr FMJ through my M9A1. I had zero malfunctions. I'm over 3,000 rounds through my M9A1. I've had three FTEs with Remington UMC 115-gr FMJ at about the 2,000 round mark. Unlike what I've read a few times on this board, I use very little lubricant on my M9A1. I clean the piece after every range session. When I reassemble it, I apply one drop of oil to the front and rear of each frame rail, four drops total. They're pretty small drops. It works for me. Later,

17. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Carried a Glock 17L and 19 for about 7 years until I got my $300 M9. After 500 trouble-free rounds I swapped and the M9 is now my CCW. Have about 900 rounds thru it with no problems. Everything on the Steyr is an improvement over the Glock design, except I don't think you can get any more reliable than a Glock.

18. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

m-9 v.s. g-19

this has always been a debate!

i own an m-9 and a g-17.

i rarely shoot the g-17.....why?

they are both great guns , BUT the M-9 just edges out ......
    better ergonomics, recoil control , point of aim, AND
    the M-9 has CLASS! 8)
    i have never seen anyone at my ranges with a STEYR and when either checking in at the in-door range or shooting at the county range people
    always seem to notice "that odd named gun" that IS so confortable and accurate! i can't say enough about my M-9.....so glad i bought it! :D

19. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

Re: m-9 v.s. g-19

this has always been a debate!

i own an m-9 and a g-17.

i rarely shoot the g-17.....why?

they are both great guns , BUT the M-9 just edges out ......
    better ergonomics, recoil control , point of aim, AND
    the M-9 has CLASS! 8)
    i have never seen anyone at my ranges with a STEYR and when either checking in at the in-door range or shooting at the county range people
    always seem to notice "that odd named gun" that IS so confortable and accurate! i can't say enough about my M-9.....so glad i bought it! :D[