Why is My new M40-A1 rattling?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Guest, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just got my new M40-A1 and I think i am in love. I haven't had time to go shoot yet but maybe this weekend will be nice to me and allow me to go. Anyhoo, I took my new toy out of the safe today and decided that I would load it up and chamber a round. I noticed when I did that something in the handle began to rattle. When I took the magazine out with the round still chambered, it stopped. What gives? Anyone have any idea? The mags don't rattle when I take them out of the weapon. Any info will be grealty appreciated!!

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the only possible cause would be the mag rattling in the grip, since the rattling is only present with a mag inserted, and the mag doesn't rattle itself.

the mag spring should be pushing the top round in the mag against the slide rails, and subsequently pushing the mag down. so rattling does seem peculiar. neither of mine do it.

were you shaking it around?

truly stumped. wouldn't worry about it.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I have a pistol or two that do this on occasion. I'm not really sure what causes it, but it's not too terribly uncommon for a magazine to rattle with fully loaded and inserted in to the pistol. It comes and goes for me - nothing to worry about.

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

As already said, it's the magazine.. drop it, smack it hard on the heel of your hand, and reseat it.

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

My M40 rattles just a bit unloaded while my M9 doesn't.......Shake a Glock lately....???? you would think it was going to come apart... :lol: Yet its reliable and accurate........probably doesn't mean much in functioning...... if its slide/frame rattle.........

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

If it's really bothering you, you could load it less one round it should stop rattling.

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

If its the mag, then do as Syntax360 says and just load one round less. That is pretty common and nothing to be concerned about. I have several guns that do the same thing........

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I realized that it only happened with one mag. I took the mag out and hit the bottom, no more rattle!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

On my wife's XD9, when you load the first round into the gun, one of her mags rattles, when fully loaded, it doesn't. Seems like the extra tension of the full mag, keeps it all tight.
    JD

10. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

did you hear a snap to?

11. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Active Member

I wouldn't worry about a little rattle, besides when the gun is going "BANG your not going to hear it anyway! :mrgreen:

Oh, but to give you a direct answer to your question, it's rattling cause your shaking it. :lol: