Why are S9-A1 mags plugged to 10 rounds?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by floppyscience, Mar 3, 2013.

1. floppyscience

floppyscience New Member

So I was fondling an S9-A1 at Cabela's today and really liked the pistol. The only problem I had was that it had "gimped" 10rnd magazines, like the ones they make for restricted states. When I asked the salesman about it he said it was standard.

What's the deal with this? I live in a state with no magazine capacity laws, and that mag looks like it could easily fit two or three more rounds. Someone had speculated that Steyr wanted to streamline production by making only 10rnd mags suitable for all locales, but they have both 17rnd and 10rnd mags for the M and C pistols.

Is there anywhere I can get a proper full-capacity magazine? I would just carry 17rnd magazines in it but they stick out a bit, which defeats the purpose of the short grip. Also I don't want to modify .40 S&W magazines as this would be a defensive weapon.

If there are no full-capacity options, I'm not going to buy the pistol. :( It's really sad because I fell in love with it at the store.

2. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

Not sure if the M/C9 magazine fits the S9.
    I don't have S9. It is supposed to be the sub-compact version in Steyr Pistol line.

There is a version of M/C9 magazine with 17rds from Brownel.

You need to try to get both M or C and S and try if the M/C magazine fit in S at Cabela's before buying?

3. floppyscience

floppyscience New Member

I tried it at Cabela's, the 17rnd C/M magazines fit fine. My issue is with the plugged 10rnd S magazine that could easily hold 12 rounds. I just want to know if there are full-capacity S magazines available (without the plug).

4. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

No. If there were I would buy them. Having 10 round capacity was no deal breaker for me. I love my S9A1.

5. floppyscience

floppyscience New Member

Yeah I might just end up getting both... :D This must be part of Steyr's marketing strategy.

6. mp-43

mp-43 New Member

Curious to know what Cabela's was asking for their S9-A1; the one near where I live hasn't had any new Steyrs in a looong time. The local Gander Mountain just got an S9, but they are asking $649 - full MSRP for theirs.

7. phlegmer

phlegmer New Member

I have a similar frustration with my SR22. The mag holds 10 but the border between the spring and the rounds is so thick, could easily hold much more.

I did notice that Buds has the S40-A1 for $499 right now for VIP members. They just changed it because a few days ago, that price was for anyone. Oh yeah, free shipping too. Noticed this shortly after I got my S40-A1 for $50 more. :(

8. AGreenSmudge

AGreenSmudge New Member

I bought mine on clearance from Cabelas last week for $499 ($540 OTD).

I ordered a 17rd mag on thursday and it should be in today. Gonna see if I can stand having it hang out the bottom.

9. floppyscience

floppyscience New Member

The C9-A1, S9-A1, and S40-A1 were all $499.

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

If you are worried about the difference between 10 rds and 12 rds, you are, in my opinion, very likely to be carrying extra magazines (and you should be, regardless). Use the 10 rd magazine for carry, and keep a couple of 17 rd magazines near by. I personally prefer the New York Reload, but usually carry one extra mag for each weapon. Just in case. Of course.

11. cjive134

cjive134 New Member

This is the reason I steered away from the S model. There is no logical reason that the S model can't hold more rounds than 10.

12. floppyscience

floppyscience New Member

I prefer an NY reload as well. :) It's more a matter of principle; the pistol was obviously designed to hold a 12rnd (at least) magazine, and knowing that is going to bug me. Depending on my mood I'll either be thinking about how I'm carrying too small a magazine for this size pistol, or how I'm carrying a pistol with a grip too big for its magazine. If they're going to stick us why 10 rounders why not produce a regular 10rnd mag and shorten the grip a little more?

13. cjive134

cjive134 New Member

Just as an example the S model seems to be about the same size as the compact PX4 which has a 15 round mag (The full size PX4 also holds 17 rounds).

14. AGreenSmudge

AGreenSmudge New Member

As much as it bugs me that it only has 10rds when it could hold more, if it has to be a 10 rd gun, I'd much rather it have the grip it has now than a shorter one.

My guess as to why they are only 10 is because it's a european manufacturer and of all the countries they sell to, it's probably easier to just make/give 10rd mags for everything. The US is likely the oddball for that.

15. Metal Bird

Metal Bird Member

For the SR22, look to Galloway Precision, they make a follower that you can change out that adds 3 more rounds of capacity. You loose the thumb assist loading but that is an easy one to load anyway without. So I have two mags at 10 rounds and 2 mags at 13 rounds.
    I also got their Captured Steel Guide Rod which has been the best investment ever for that gun!

16. phlegmer

phlegmer New Member

Oh sweet! Had no idea they made aftermarket things like that for the SR22 already. Thanks!

17. floppyscience

floppyscience New Member

I considered that, but they have both 17rnd and 10rnd M/C magazines. The S is the only model with the artificial limit.

18. AGreenSmudge

AGreenSmudge New Member

Yeah, but my guess is that the 17rd mags are probably military/law enf only in other countries. So the 10rd mags for all three models are probably the mags that civilians get except for the US.

That would explain why the larger models have 10+ mags and the subcompact S models that professionals wouldn't carry have no reason to have a mag produced that carries more than 10.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  19. floppyscience

floppyscience New Member

I never thought of it that way...good point.

20. spclopr8tr

spclopr8tr New Member

A better question might be how can the 10 round mag be converted to a 12-13 round mag?