Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
For a casual shooter like me, it fits my hand better, and it is a pleasure to shoot-- it doesn't jump around, and the short trigger reset allows for quick repeat shots. Compared to a Glock, it is a lot smoother. Disadvantage-- it doesn't shoot all the brands of cheap ammo(but mine loves Blazer aluminum case), and it requires more frequent cleaning.
I am sure if you take time to browse around the site , you will find more technical information. Don't be put off by people asking for advice with problems-- you get two general categories of thread here:
1 People like me who have never had a problem and are looking for info on things like shooting form or maintenance.
2. People who are asking for help with problems. Because this site has a well-deserved reputation for providing help, problems will inevitably end up here.
If you don't own a Steyr, You might try to borrow or rent one to see if you like it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alagator,

I'm the proud owner of a S9. But my experience with autos is limited to my 1911. I was curious to know how the Steyr compares with guns I haven't shot like Glocks, Sigs, HKs, etc.

BTW, I'm in B'ham also. Where do you shoot?

Tancred

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
A pretty common line you hear when discussing Steyrs is that the trigger "is everything a Glock should be". Alagator summed up the pro's/con's of Glock and Steyr already.

With regard to HK, I am also an HK USPc .45 owner and if push came to shove and I had to return one of the pistols, my M9A1 would still have a spot in my safe. I think the guns are absolutely comparable in quality, but the Steyr's trigger infinitely better and is, overall, more fun to shoot.

In the Sig vs. Steyr debate, I would unfortunately have to give the hats off to Sig. I like my Sig more than my Steyr, but it's all a matter of personal preference.

I think Steyr is about the best bang for the buck combo on the market today. Any time someone wants a helluva pistol without breaking the bank, the M-A1 series is my first recommendation.

And our little community is growing - ever since Steyr Arm's advertising campaign in NRA magazine publications, it seems like Steyrs come up almost weekly on the 6 other firearm forums I frequent. I'm a firm believer that Steyr will achieve the same brand familiarity as the other big boys you mentioned in the next few years... Keep your fingers crossed :wink:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I love the Steyr.
It fits my hand better than almost any other handgun. I have small hands and have trouble with trigger reach and the grip around most double stack weapons. The short reset and trigger reach are condisive to folks with small hands.

I can shoot the Steyr better than almost any other handgun. I can get followups faster as the bore axis is very low so muzzle flip is reduced. Felt recoil is also reduced in my hands.

It is a high quality weapon with a great trigger

·
Registered
119 Posts
What they said...... :D

And......we have a total of 5 Sterys. Other guns ( some 2 to 3 times the price) are here and available...but, when we are serious about shooting...the Steyrs come out and the others are napping in the safe. The trigger is great...the fit to a small hand is perfect......and the best part is you can shoot the damn thing 'til you run out of ammo and not be beaten up :!:

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
My Glock 19 is now a SHTF bag gun, having been replaced by the M9 as my primary carry gun. Very cleverly thought out (except for LCI) and actually is the evolution of the Glock 19.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To me, it's the build quality. Full metal slide rails versus plastic w/metal coating on the Glock. Little enhancements that make it a better gun (and yet cheaper in price).

Now, the newer Springfields are taking on the Glock pretty well, but I don't like the feeling of them - high bore axis doesn't feel as good to me.

The 111 degree Steyr grip angle takes a little getting used to - it will be annoying an throw you off for the first couple range trips (for instance, if I shoot my Sig 228 and swtich to the M9, lining up the first couple shots takes a little adjustment).

An older M9 can be had for $200-300 dollars out the door. That's hard to beat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts