Who's afraid of the Big Bad Glock?

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Netfotoj, May 13, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Not my 10-year-old, 80-pound grandson, Logan Myers, that's who. Check out this shot of Logan ripping off rounds with my new (to me) Glock 29 10mm. And no, he isn't just posing. The little whippersnapper fired three magazines of those big, bad 10mm rounds downrange and he hit what he was aiming at, too, and has the holes to prove it. My camera finger just wasn't fast enough to catch him with the gun in recoil action.

[​IMG]

Here's some of Logan's holes, plus some of mine and my son's also, in 10mm, 357 Sig, .45 ACP, 9mm, .22 Magnum and .22 LR.

[​IMG]

It wasn't exactly precision shooting. Rain conspired to keep me away from the range yet again, but this time my son came through with Plan B. Out behind his home in the country, he hammered together some 2x12s for a frame and we set it up in the rain 25 feet from the shelter of his outbuilding and blasted away with all guns. It was stand and deliver time. Next week, we'll set up a bench and do some precision shooting. But Saturday was more fun in the rain than the law ought to allow for the Myers boys, grandpa, son and grandson. Yeeha!

Logan is wearing my son's (or is it his?) Ruger 22 magnum/.22 LR revolver and my son added his Ruger P345 .45 ACP semi-auto to the Myers arsenal for the day. I brought my new until-Saturday-unfired-by-me G29, my M357-A1, my S&W 669 subcompact 9mm, my new Kel Tec P11 9mm pocket pistol and my Walther P22.

Everybody fired everything. And no wrist surgery will be required for any of us. Biggest surprise of the day is how soft-shooting that "baby Glock" in 10mm turned out to be. I ripped off a G20 magazine first and was surprised to pronounce it lighter recoiling than my S&W 1076 all-steel 10mm, for which I traded it.

Then my son shot it and said he couldn't tell much if any difference between the G29 recoil and his P345, and his P345 has the softest recoil of any .45 I've ever shot, and that's several 1911s over my nearly 60 years.

So we asked Logan if he wanted to give it a whirl and he smiled and said "Sure" and let 'er rip.

Frankly, I was expecting to get more of a hand jolt with the G29 than with my traded 1076, not less. This is my first experience with shooting a Glock, but I must note this one is heavily customized with HD Wolff springs, satin-finish slide, 1911-angle grip and a trigger job. Plus I liberally lubed the slide and rails with Slide Glide prior to shooting. Maybe a stock Glock wouldn't shoot so sweet in 10mm, I don't know. I just know I love this G29!

Here's one final shot of the back side of our target frame with some mighty big, jagged holes in the 2x12s from all calibers, including both FMJs and HPs in 10mm.

[​IMG]

2. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

great pix netfoto,

those g29s are great fun and 3 mags full of 10mm with no complaints from the little guy is pretty impressive.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

What load 10mm were you shooting, Netfotoj? The only 10mm I've tried is watered down CCI, and I found it to be downright pleasant. I have it on good authority that Double Tap probably wouldn't be so tame... :lol:

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

most 10mm is loaded to 10mm lite levels. its no worse than 40sw.

try some full house 40sw or full house 10mm sometime.
    easier to just handload it than try buying it. good way to go broke.

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

10mm HPs

Most of the 10mm rounds shot by me, my son and grandson were 180 gr. FMJs, but I did shoot a couple of 9-round mags of hollowpoints, Cor Bon 150 gr., rated at 1,325 fps; and Winchester Silvertip 175 gr., no rating.

I was shooting as quickly as I could acquire and reacquire the sight picture, mainly to check function of cycling HPs vs. FMJs. Nary a problem with either and very little difference in recoil between the FMJs and HPs with the Cor Bons being slightly snappier. With the Cor Bons and Silvertips, I managed a fairly respectable pattern. There's 18 holes in the target, some of them overlapping. (You'd think 18 10mm HPs would at least make the blue man take his hand off his hip!)

[​IMG]

This weekend, I hope to have a bench set up to do some pattern testing with various HPs, including in addition to Silvertips and Cor Bons some Federal Hydra-Shok 180 gr. and some Winchester Black Talon 200 gr. SXTs.

I'll have to order some DoubleTap ammo to give that a try, too. The previous owner told me he shot almost exclusively DoubleTap in the G29 for defensive ammo, for which he specifically had the HD Wolff springs installed.

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Stalwart shooting by the whippersnapper. :)

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I HOPE he was just posing for this picture........he isn't wearing safety glasses......... :shock:

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Good call, Shooter.

I'm always wearing my safety glasses, prescription lenses from work, and didn't even think to have either my son or grandson put on any. And I always carry a couple of extra pair in my range bag along with the ear protectors.

I never used ear protection when shooting as a country boy and no doubt that's why I'm half deaf now. Logan is wearing my extra set of ear protectors and my son did get out his ear plugs at my suggestion. It's time for grandpa to provide some safety glasses, too. CRS disease strikes again!

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

No.................I just realized my disease too......when my uncle took up kids out to teach us to shoot we NEVER wore ears or eyes.........and we MADE it.....
    ..........!!!!!!!! I'm here, unscathed...... :lol: no bike helmet, O we forget...........we survived............. :wink:

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

netfotoj...

might i ask if you were in pittsburgh?

i recognized the targets. see both on lots of thursdays. love the blue guy. easy to focus on the front sight and get solid hits at 25 yards.

did you come to pittsburgh and not even want to hang out?

or did the traveling family originate in pittsburgh and bring targets in tow?

either way. nice shots (pics and holes!!) thanks for sharing.

reminds me of touching off dad's 30-06 at the age of 12, with no eyes or ears of course. and i didn't hit ANYTHING. HAHAHA.

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Pittsburgh, indeed, BT!

I visit occasionally and will probably be doing a lot more soon as my wife's daughter is expecting a glorious event in the late fall. She may even drag/move me kicking and screaming north of the Mason-Dixon Line, God forbid!

The Blue Man targets are a Christmas present to me from my wife's daughter, the expectant one who lives in Pittsburgh. Though I suspect it was her pistol-shooting husband who picked them out. He recently purchased a Ruger P95 and I've been trying to convert him into a Steyroid. He's lurked out a bit on the site.

12. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

Re: 10mm HPs

those blue guys are some serious tough mothers. i think you needat least a few boxes of 12guage shot to make sure they go down good.

13. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

well next time you're in town, pm me!! we'll show that blue guy who the boss is!!!

edited to say: my congratulations to the expectant!!

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Will do, BT. Don't have any specific plans right now, but when I'm in town, would love to put a lot more holes in the Blue Man. With the blessed event coming in the late fall, we're bound to be visiting by then or before.

BTW, what range do you use? My son-in-law (sort of...what do you call the husband of your wife's daughter?) is also a pistol shooter and uses a range in Pittsburgh to unload his Ruger P95 and Buckmark. Maybe we can team up on him and convert him into a Steyroid. :mrgreen:

15. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

anthony's, which is where those targets came from, is the place that does the defensive pistol shooting class on thursday nights. the instructors are great, and all the regulars seem to get along.

i do more practicing at a free outdoor range north of the city. gotta watch out for the rules, but can still get some good drills done without being a nuisance to the RO.

my one friend is an RO at clairton and has been pretty involved with the development of their pistol program. i haven't yet taken him up on his offer to head over there and set up some mock ipsc stages.

but when you get up here, we gotta bet together and do some blasting.