Steyr Club Forums banner
4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
How many people on this forum would seriously consider buying an AUG-A3 if a semi-automatic version was made available for civilian purchase?

I have been looking through the internet for any information I can find on this weapon and would defintely be willing to buy one if they are made available.

G
#4 ·
We first have to get President Bush to repeal the importatiion law of Assault Type Rifle, this will be a major step in the right direction. If not, we can all dream a sweet little dream about owning one of those.

Another way would be if Austria for some unknown reason have a surplus of these and decide to cut them up and import them to the U.S. "as replacement parts"?, many of us can pretend we already have this rifle and build one, provided we have a U.S. manufacrurer that has this receiver.

G
#6 ·
We all have Bush Sr to thank for that...I had a HK91 back in 91 or so I bought for $700.00 in Kali. I never shot it so I got rid of it for $700. Now, I will be lucky to find a well used one for twice that much.

I would like to see SIG 551/552 in civie hands, even more so than an MP5 or other HK variants. If SIG will build this in U.S., it might just be possible.

#8 ·
Well, I've heard now for awhile that HK was planning on building a plant in the United States in order to make sale of their XM-8 to the United States Military. Anyone know if HK plans on making other weapons within the US or making the XM-8 available as a semi-auto for civilians?

#9 ·
The firearms industries make most of their money selling to big military contracts of different countries. They can easily ship these firearms from their current production plants cheaper than it would cost them to create an assembly plant here in the US to manufacture them. It would costs them millions to open and start up a production facility, and even given what WE as civilians would perceive as a high demand for their product (in the 1000ss at best), it would not be enough to justify the costs of setting up shop here and producing their firearms in this country. So unless the '89 is repealed (there is NO sunset on this bill), we (civilians) won't be getting ANY IMPORTED firearms...FN, HK, Steyr, AK, or anything else from any other country than the US. We can always hope. Sorry to burst your bubble. As gun owners, it is important that ALL of us understand the laws of this country so that we don't give any more ammo the anti-gunners out there to attack us for wrong information.

#10 ·
Couldn't Steyr sell the right to produce AUGs in the United States to a Domestic company? Not talking about a large factory to turn out thousands of rifles as would be required to fulfill a military contract or large LEO contract, but a factory capable of limited annual production. Seems like that could be possible.

#12 ·
You would still have to fork out the money to do such a thing. I've heard that DSArms here in the good 'ol USA (actually in my backyard) was trying to do such a thing, but the royalty to be paid to Steyr for each rifle produced would not be profitable enough to warrant producing a small number of riflesso they did not procede. In addition, there are not too many parts kits for AUGs right now due to their high demand by different militaries. Even though we think $3500 for an AUG is a lot of money and the company is making a killing on it, if a company has to pay $3000 per rifle back to the company, the profit margin (before costs, labor, etc.) is only $500 (now subtract advertising, shipping, labor, storage, tooling, etc). If the profit margin were say $1000-1500 per rifle as in the days of the so-called "pre-ban black rifles" then maybe there would be more incentive for a company to produce receivers here. BTW, the AUG receiver is not that easy to duplicate and would require quite a bit of expensive tooling in order to get it right. You just can't stamp one out of sheet metal like you do the AK's, FN's, Galils's, HK's, etc. So your idea is a reasonable one, but I doubt that it will happen anytime soon. I hope someday to be proven wrong, and I'd gladly buy 1 or 2 of them if it ever did happen, but for now, I'm just gonna keep my "pre-ban" AUG, and yes it is a fine machine. Again, take my advice, if you can get your hands on one and you have the money available, GET IT! Even if they begin producing them here in the US, your original Austrian-built Steyr AUG will never lose its value (unless they repeal the import law, then we can get the A3's!).

G
#13 ·
Keep in mind that a major military contract to a foreign firm would require such firm to produce the contract items in U.S. I think its in the law re military procurement and national defense somewhere. If you want to sell guns and rifle to uncle sam, you better made it here.

We are talking about major contract, not a few thousand that different alphabet agency get from time to time.

Beretta was in the same shoe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.