Which 22LR?????

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by GTrain, Feb 16, 2008.

1. GTrain

GTrain Guest

I'm looking to buy a new 22LR semi auto soon. At one of my local shops they have three models that i looked at. They have the Berreta Neos, S&W 22a with bull barrel and extra target grips and a Ruger MKIII 22/45. They are all priced the same at $249. I would like to get the one that will be the most accurate and less picky with ammo, since i like to shoot bulk ammo. Please give me any advice you have. Thanks

2. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

I have a Ruger MkIII and I love it...its kind of a pita to take apart (esp compared to the Steyr)...but its def pretty awesome.

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Put the Buckmark in for consideration too. I'd dismiss the Smith 22a. If you have a 1911, 'd think hard about a conversion top.

4. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

correction to my previous post because I just went to the range today to shoot my .22 then clean it. I love shooting my ruger .22. Cleaning it is a giant pita. It is difficult to get apart and a giant pita to put back together. I don't know if I'm just not doing it right or if its just not broken in yet (this is the second time I've broken it down) or what. But I really don't like cleaning this thing. esp after getting the Steyr and finding out how easy it is to field strip it.

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I researched .22 pistols a while back after I was less than satisfied with a Walther P22 I picked up. It's a fine little plinker, but it's not a target pistol and I wanted to dot an "I".

I considered all of the above and settled on S&W 22A-1 for ease of disassembly. I read that the Ruger and Buckmark are both quite difficult and I am mechanically challenged (Klutz!). Disassembly with the SW22A-1 is easy as pie and I have been quite happy and impressed with one caveat, it don't like just any ammo. Didn't care for Remington at all, had occasional FTFs with Winchester and I haven't tried Federal yet. But it loves CCI, never misfires, so CCI don't cost that much more and I'll just stick to that. Cheap enough.

Here's mine with some target grips I picked up from Big Buck Enterprises.
    [​IMG]

Picked up a TruGlo 2.5X Red Dot scope for it, on the pistol in the below photo.
    [​IMG]

However, the two posts in the mount on the TruGlo don't match up with two slots in the Weaver rail on the SW22A-1, so I tried it out with one post in the slot. Wouldn't hold zero. Not to mention that it skint up the pretty bluing on my pistol! Back to the drawing board. Whatever, I love the iron sights and that green Hi Viz front sight. Now I gotta find something to do with the TruGlo. None of my other pistols or rifles have Weaver rails. Maybe I just ain't smart enough to figure out how to get it mounted. :evil:

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

A MkII is generally only a PITA if you don't understand it. The trick that screws most guys up is the hummer strut that hangs down. It needs to line up with the MS plunger. Sometimes you have to poke the hammer with a screw driver or somthing to free the hammer strut. You can see it if you look up, it should dange down.

Ask me how I know how hard it can be if you don't understand it....

7. GTrain

GTrain Guest

I appreciate the responses but if you had to pick between the three; Neos, SW 22a or Ruger MKIII 22/45, which would you pick and why. I have a H&R 22LR revolver that im really dissapointed in. and dont want to be again. One big pro for the Ruger is that the after market parts are widely available. But please give me you experiances and thoughts. thanks again.

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Ruger is the best choice of those three, IMO. The Smith 22a has generally less regard in mechanical accuracy and durability, as I hear the talk. The Neos had some early probs, no idea if that has resolved, they have a nice laser zapper look.

Ruger tends to have good mechanical accuracy, nice aftermarket stuff available, plenty of info for do-it-yourself table gunsmithing, and most run pretty well.

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I really think the Ruger is the best made of all the "modern" 22's. The break-down can be a pita for sure, but the reliabilty and materials are excellent. My brother loves his BuckMark. The Neos look just like my Colt 22 in function and breakdown. That is my favorite pistol (Colt) but harder to find these days and a bit more expensive because of it. Materials are quality and ease of take down also. I have a Smith like Net's. I had trouble with it at first. The paint came off when I cleaned it and had to send it back for re-paint. The gunsmith down here said the materials were crap......(steel)..
    But don't get me wrong, its fun to shoot and easy to take down. Because the Neo's is so similar to my Colt, I would look into that one.

Sig Trailside is smallish, good trigger but the barrel is mated to the frame which makes changing a barrel
    unlikely. Also overpriced.

But in my experience if it's not the Colt, Ruger is hands down my choice for quality materials and function (unless you have four thumbs :snooty: ).....

I can't say that I experience any different "feeling" in shooting any of these 22's. Recoil etc.

I love the CCI in the plastic boxes. They are getting a bit pricey when I can get about 300 more rounds of Federal, Remmington, or Winchester for a couple bucks more in bulk boxes. I have never had a problem with any of the mentioned ammo brands.

An added plus IMO with the Neo is the ability to get a "rifle" extension on it......that is pretty cool.........If I didn't have way too many 22's already, i'd seriously take a look at that one..........

10. GTrain

GTrain Guest

Again i appreciate all of your responses and i think i will get the ruger. I have had experiance with my ruger 10/22 and know that they are well built, minus the fact that the finish came off of my so called "Stainless reciever" when i used some gun scrubber. But hopefully Davidsons will replace it for me. Thats maybe should be another topic but i noticed that some "stainless" rugers have what seems to be a reciever that is painted to look stainless and some i have seen with actual stainless recievers. Does anybody know what the deal is with this. I called the gun shop that i bought it from and they said to bring it in so they can look at it. The gun came from Davidsons which has a lifetime replacement guarantee.

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

10/22 receivers are aluminum I thought.....?? Stainless is an upgraded aftermarket part if I'm not mistaken.....

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

From Ruger, they are brushed aluminum with a clear coat.

13. SharkNet

SharkNet Guest

I believe you will like your Ruger. I have a MKII, and it is a good shooter. Very nice trigger. It is a heavy gun, for a .22. I've also owned a Sig Mosquito. It was brand new a couple of months ago, and was a good gun (despite some early reliability issues they seem to have had). My problem with it was the grip angle. It is quite different from my #1 gun, my Steyr. So I traded it for an almost new Walther P22, where the grip angle is very similar to they Steyr's. The trade was all about Kinetic memory. The P22 has now had hundreds of rounds through it of various ammo, and has run like a champ. I believe the key to these is getting a recent model, and you're good to go. While the trigger isn't quite what the Ruger is, it's still quite good. Of all the .22 semi-auto's I've shot, I like the Walther the best by far. It's the most fun, and the grip angle complements they Steyr.

Just two cents from someone who has had three.

14. GTrain

GTrain Guest

Thanks again guys i appreciate your help.

15. GTrain

GTrain Guest

well i bought the ruger 22/45, cost me $271 out the door.

16. ict815g

ict815g New Member

I have the Walther P22 and a good old Ruger Mark II. I love both guns, but the Walther is not built as tough as the Ruger. I think the Ruger would last forever. Online instructions for reassembling make the job easier.

I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but the Walther is already showing slide wear/damage. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Ruger Mk II!

-R

17. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

How many rds through your Walther P22?

Can ya post a photo of the wear/damage you refer to?

:think: :think:

18. ict815g

ict815g New Member

I'll have to figure out how to post a picture.
    It only had about 400 rounds thru it. I read online about some sharp edges on the trigger assy that may cause the nicks I see in the slide. I sent a question into S&W support. Hopefully, they'll reply.

Sorry about turning this forum subject off target!

19. ict815g

ict815g New Member