where to get a non-a1 S40

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by polik6887, Feb 5, 2007.

1. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

I am looking for an S40 as my first pistol. I want a sefety so I dont want an A1 model. I will probably try and get an A1 extractor though and swap it in. anybody know where I can get a S40? hopefully new, but I guess thats probably not gonna happen.

2. hihoslva

hihoslva Guest

Good luck.

The S40 has been the hardest-to-get model for several years now. Even getting magazines for it has become a real challenge.

I say to keep your eyes open and check GunBroker.com often. You never know.

3. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

4. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

well i found a one for 479$, it was listed as NIB online but the saleslady said it was used, so I asume it is really used. bullshit price, but should I got for it? it is also like 3 states away so I would have to pay shipping and dealer fees. what say you steyr experts?

I am also skeptical about buying used, if they are selling it, it probably has problems right? is there any way i could find a NIB s40? or am i dreaming.

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Hi Polik!

$480 sounds way high for a used S40. I'd wait cash in hand.
    I just bought 2 S40 mags that I plan to convert to 12rnd S9 mags for $44 shipped

The deals are out there.

6. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

well I talked the guy down to 400$ for the "like new" s40. then its 50$ shipping and probly 25$ transfer fee here in VA. go for it? how much do used s40 usually go for? I wish I could see the damn thing.

7. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

$475 total for gun, shipping and transfer is not unreasonable.

Taking an S40 home for under $500 sounds about right to me.

8. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

well I am sending the money tommorow, turns out there is 7% tax too. so I end up paying 478$ total (shipping and tax included). then a 25$ transfer fee on this end. maybe I didn't get as good of a deal as I thought. oh well, at least I got exactly what I want for 503$.

so what is the deal with magazine capacity, it comes with the box and 2 mags, I assume 10rd right?
    the 10rd mags will fit flush on the S40 grip right?
    will any bigger magazines fit flush? 11rd?

the highest capacity you can get are 12 rd M40 mags, right? they will fit the S40 but stick out a little, right?

are there any differences between A1 and nonA1 mags?

9. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

10 rounders for S40 fit flush. M and MA1 mags are the same.
    can mod S&W sigma mags to work in Steyr but needs a new magazine catch cut into the sigma mag. sigma mags cost $30 new
    might find some surplus for less. M in S will hang out about a half inch carefull if you have some dont over insert can damage the ejector.

dont get crazy about the extraction reports mostly from M9 and M9A1's. go shoot it have a good time.

10. DougK

DougK New Member

Congratulations.... Great Gun and it has the manual safety...

S40 is a great gun. I have a M357 and the magazines are interchangable. I prefer to shoot the S40 with the s40 magazines. I have 3.
    Doug

11. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

so the M series 12rd magazines will fit the S but stick out a little?

seems the sigma 40 can take 15rd mags, sweet, gonna pick a couple of those up for range fun. just dremel a mag catch in and they are good to go? dont have a pic of the process do you?

12. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

$503 is good for a gun you really want.

13. jettcity01

jettcity01 Guest

I have an S40 with 2 mags. like new that i am thinking of selling for an upgrade to a different pistol. e-mail me for details. [email protected] ( wa. state)

14. loneeagle308

loneeagle308 Guest

Yup, I have backed out of 2 deals already for my S40. Both for $460 w/ 4 mags, 1 S40 3 Sigma Hi caps. May consider parting for $500 with 3 mags. PM me if interested.

15. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

too late already ordered it. I guess 500$ with original case+2 S40 mags including shipping/transfer fees, isnt too bad.

I heard that there is a newer style of trigger and an old style, something to do with hole placement and a 5 lb or 8lb pull. how can I tell which I have, other than measureing the pull?

16. loneeagle308

loneeagle308 Guest

Not bad at all. Hard to place a value on an item in "Limited edition" such as an S40. I really haven;t tried too many CCW guns and love this one over any gun I can think to have. Good luck and privide a shooting report!