Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
They are hard to find since they didn’t make the transition to the A2 series. There is one that is used and cerakoted on gun broker with 15 hrs left at 200 bid. That said they were hard to come buy when they were being brought in. Had to special order mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are hard to find since they didn’t make the transition to the A2 series. There is one that is used and cerakoted on gun broker with 15 hrs left at 200 bid. That said they were hard to come buy when they were being brought in. Had to special order mine.
I saw that one but I'm not a fan of the finish. I should have bought the S9 when I bought my M9-A1 for $430 in 2017. The seller had the S9 for the same price.

I guess I'll just keep checking gunbroker.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
I will keep my eyes out for one, you never know. I’ve seen some S9 mags pop up recently. The c9a2 is pretty close with the only difference in the grip. Same thickness, same same length, but 17 rounds and the new A2 features.
Handgun holster Camera accessory Gun accessory Auto part Tints and shades

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like the L9 is similar in size to the Glock 17 and the M9 is about the same size as the Glock 19 but with a slightly longer grip. Is the S9 slightly larger than the Glock 26 but smaller than the 19? Is the capacity of the S9 10 rounds? It seems like the mags have a lot of extra plastic at the bottom so I wonder why they couldn't squeeze in an extra round or two.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Pretty much L9 and 17.
M9 and 19X
S9 is 10 but can take any Steyr mags, issue is it was developed during the ban and they never fixed the 10 round issue after the ban. It should easily be a 12 rounder. Now that it didn’t make the cut to the A2 I don’t think we will see it come back either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty much L9 and 17.
M9 and 19X
S9 is 10 but can take any Steyr mags, issue is it was developed during the ban and they never fixed the 10 round issue after the ban. It should easily be a 12 rounder. Now that it didn’t make the cut to the A2 I don’t think we will see it come back either.
So you think the S9 is pretty much dead at this point? I want one for a carry gun but it does seem crazy to carry it with only 10rnd when the G26 is smaller and holds the same amount. And now we have those micro guns like the P365.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
I think the S9A1 is not up to speed with the competitors. It’s a good option if you want to keep your Steyr sights and ergos constant but it’s very close to size with a c9A2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It seems like the L9 is similar in size to the Glock 17 and the M9 is about the same size as the Glock 19 but with a slightly longer grip. Is the S9 slightly larger than the Glock 26 but smaller than the 19? Is the capacity of the S9 10 rounds? It seems like the mags have a lot of extra plastic at the bottom so I wonder why they couldn't squeeze in an extra round or two.
The S9 was made during the AWB in 94' to 2004' and Steyr would have had to retool their magazine dies (very expensive) to make a full capacity magazine to fit the S9. No doubt the reason for not doing that, they stopped making that model during the ban..If I remember correctly. If you want the full capacity with a flush fitting magazine, you would have to get a 10rd .40 S&W magazine and bend the feed lips in to hold the 9mm cartridge. The magazines are heat-treated and I had to anneal the lips to bend them in. I haven't had any problems with mine not working while also using the .40 follower that came with it. The problem you will have, is getting a standard floor plate. Maybe find someone with a 3D printer would be a good solution. I think you can, possibly modify the .40 extended floor plate, but putting the side slots that slide over the magazine body base legs may be a little difficult.
Also, FWIW, the Arex Delta M 15rd magazine fits very well in the S9 and barely goes past the standard length magazine. You would have to cut the slot in its proper position, which shouldn't be a problem. I still haven't range tested mine yet. The issue will be spring tension, as the Steyr pistol design, for whatever reason, has the slide just clear the magazine before it returns to extract another cartridge from the magazine. Most other designs, have the slide going about 1/4" past the magazine before returning for extraction. With the Steyr's, there is little room for error with cartridge deployment within the magazine, thus they use a higher srping tension than most with their magazines. I've also modified a Glock 33rder to fit and function in my S9. It can be done...That is all.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
The S9 was made during the AWB in 94' to 2004' and Steyr would have had to retool their magazine dies (very expensive) to make a full capacity magazine to fit the S9. No doubt the reason for not doing that, they stopped making that model during the ban..If I remember correctly. If you want the full capacity with a flush fitting magazine, you would have to get a 10rd .40 S&W magazine and bend the feed lips in to hold the 9mm cartridge. The magazines are heat-treated and I had to anneal the lips to bend them in. I haven't had any problems with mine not working while also using the .40 follower that came with it. The problem you will have, is getting a standard floor plate. Maybe find someone with a 3D printer would be a good solution. I think you can, possibly modify the .40 extended floor plate, but putting the side slots that slide over the magazine body base legs may be a little difficult.
Also, FWIW, the Arex Delta M 15rd magazine fits very well in the S9 and barely goes past the standard length magazine. You would have to cut the slot in its proper position, which shouldn't be a problem. I still haven't range tested mine yet. The issue will be spring tension, as the Steyr pistol design, for whatever reason, has the slide just clear the magazine before it returns to extract another cartridge from the magazine. Most other designs, have the slide going about 1/4" past the magazine before returning for extraction. With the Steyr's, there is little room for error with cartridge deployment within the magazine, thus they use a higher srping tension than most with their magazines. I've also modified a Glock 33rder to fit and function in my S9. It can be done...That is all.
Please give us an update on the magazine compatibility

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please give us an update on the magazine compatibility
Back from range testing and the Arex Delta M 15rd magazine worked great and also holds slide open on last round. Here are the pics of gun and magazine, along with my prototype KCI 33rder that also fits my S9. I'll post up the measured dimensions for cutting the slot in the Arex magazine.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Office supplies Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Audio equipment Wood
Wood Gadget Beige Tool Rectangle
Brown Sleeve Beige Grey Wood

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are the dimensions. For those who will do this mod. Measure from, FRONT of Arex magazine, as the flat on the side, which seems to be on the same plane as the front flat, is not. Mine was a little higher. You want to error on the, LONG side, when putting in the slot, as far as the UPPER cut, is concerned. That's what hold the magazine in its upper most position and if you cut it too short, the magazine will be too lower in the frame.The lower slot cut can actually be way off as it just stops the magazine from going higher. No biggy as the magazine is being pushed downward when in the firearm and loaded with cartridges. The actual stopping points on the Arex magazine is at the rearward cutout, which hits the slide and the left feedlip that makes contact with the ejector. Obviously, you want the magazine to sit just below that so the slide doesn't make contact with that part of the magazine. In reality, the slot cut should be measured from that part of the magazine, but it would be difficult to do. Using the front flat, assumes everything is consistent with the manufacturing of the magazine. As in, front flat height, to rearward slide cutout height, for cartridge extraction. They're very close do to the manufacturing process involved with stamping these out and die fitment required to seam weld them properly.
Also, wow...didn't realize how much further a Steyr 15rd magazine sits beyond the frame compared to the Arex. The Arex is pretty nice, as it gives the pinky finger a nice resting position.

To be clear, start by cutting to these lengths and then work them in.
(1.175, start at 1.185-1.190) (.215, start at .200) (.265, go to .265)
NOTE: The front slot depth can be eyeballs as it's hard to get an actual measurement.
SLOW and methodical is the key for success here.
Sleeve Revolver Handwriting Grey Font
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a spacer on eBay and use the 15/17 round full size mags.
Hey, that works. The one Steyr 15rder I have, I picked up at a pawn shop for $10 just recently. The Arex mag is from my Arex Delta M, so now I can use it between the 2 guns. How much was that spacer on ebay?

Also, do you get empty case ejection onto the head with yours on occasion?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey, that works. The one Steyr 15rder I have, I picked up at a pawn shop for $10 just recently. The Arex mag is from my Arex Delta M, so now I can use it between the 2 guns. How much was that spacer on ebay?

Required some filing, but works great now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.