Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in California, where no Steyr pistols can be sold from a dealer, but you can purchase from a private party. The only pistols on the state have been grandfathered in. Therefore, used pistols go for about 1.5-2x MSRP.

I'm considering buying an M40A1, but I'd really like to be able to run 9mm too, for IDPA. And since these pistols are hard to come by and expensive, it may actually be cost effective to swap slides instead of buying a whole new pistol since the conversion is in the vicinity of $250.

I understand that I cannot swap just the barrel, and that I'd need to swap the slide assembly, recoil spring, etc. I have seen several posts on random forums indicating that it is possible, but my google-fu is turning up nothing when it comes to actually buying one. Steyr's website has a threaded barrel for 9mm (threaded barrel on a pistol is a no-go in CA as well), but no slide. So where do you buy a replacement slide assembly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Robanada, were you able to find a slide? I', thinking rather than alter my existing slides or use one of those plate inserts in rear site recess, better to buy one already machined for the purpose and switch out as and when needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts