Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here and have a question! I joined here because I'm very interested in the Steyr M9A1. BUT, I can't find it for sale anywhere online. Does anyone know where I can pick one up in the next few months?

Thanks!

dwa

·
Registered
23 Posts
Call Nick down at Birmingham Pistol Wholesale. When I purchased my S9-A1 a couple of weeks ago, they had a 40. Not sure about M9's, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 9s are available from time to time on Gunbroker, gunsamerica etc but the prices are way to high usually, unless you think $6-800 is ok. Otherwise the 40 cal is a little more reasonable and shoots just like a nine in other guns IMO. For some reason or other everybody seems to be wanting 9s now, not sure why, ain't any ammo and won't be for the near future.
Anyway the 40 cal Steyr is a real sweet shooter, recoil is negligible, followup is great, ammo more plentiful than the 9mms. But if you got your heart set on a 9mm go for it. Around here in W Michigan Steyrs are very rare and never available in any numbers so I would assume it is like that everywhere since I don't see very many even on the internet, so if you get lucky and find one grab it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
East Orange Shooting Sports in Orlando FL has all 3 models in stock right now, $519.99. M9A1, C9A1, M40A1

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a M40-A1 and I bought it because of people going on and on about the recoil being like or better than a 9MM and like stvan said, "recoil is negligible". While I like the gun, I find both claims to be false. I have a 9mm and have shot it for years and love it. It has seen many USPSA matches. My 40 shoots nothing like my 9mm. My husband shoots a .45 and while I have no issues shooting it, I have never liked the recoil. After putting a 500-1000 rounds through my M40 and then shooting the husbands .45 with home defense rounds in it, I will take the .45. I found it easier to shoot and the recoil did not bother me. My right arm is generally tender up to a week after a put 100-300 rounds through the M40-A1. I am generally shooting WWB 155 grain bullets or the 165 grain stuff they have at the indoor range. So don't trust folks who say it has no recoil. Everything has recoil. It is up to you to see if the recoil bothers you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a M40-A1 and I bought it because of people going on and on about the recoil being like or better than a 9MM and like stvan said, "recoil is negligible". While I like the gun, I find both claims to be false. I have a 9mm and have shot it for years and love it. It has seen many USPSA matches. My 40 shoots nothing like my 9mm. My husband shoots a .45 and while I have no issues shooting it, I have never liked the recoil. After putting a 500-1000 rounds through my M40 and then shooting the husbands .45 with home defense rounds in it, I will take the .45. I found it easier to shoot and the recoil did not bother me. My right arm is generally tender up to a week after a put 100-300 rounds through the M40-A1. I am generally shooting WWB 155 grain bullets or the 165 grain stuff they have at the indoor range. So don't trust folks who say it has no recoil. Everything has recoil. It is up to you to see if the recoil bothers you.
Muzzle rise is lessened at the cost of greater recoil. Unfortunately, most consider muzzle rise and recoil one in the same.

Dustin

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did not say it had no recoil I said it was negligible (or insigificant if you will). In the March 2011 Volume 32 number 2 issue of Combat Handguns Rob Garrett reviewed the M40-A1 and S40-A1 and stated "The grip angle seemed to tame the sharp recoil of the service ammo and made the pistol very pleasant to shoot". Now maybe I should have qualified my opinion stating I am 6'3" and 270 pounds and have very large hands and arms and upper body and can get a strong firm grip on the gun, therefore for me I hardly even notice any recoil on the M40 or any of my pistols, (a J-frame 357 mag being the exception until I got rid of it). Now I did switch out the 40 cal barrel for a 357 Sig barrel on my Glock 22. I shoot the 357 Sig better than the 40S&W in that gun and will probably get a 9mm barrel next, just because I can.
Different strokes for different folks. That does not make me untrustworthy it is just my experiences with the M40A1, and if you are going to use my experiences and opinions a gospel then that's your fault.
Wick3d six probably should not have purchased the Styer M40A1 without putting a box or two through one to see if she could handle it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Glock 19C, I must say my M40-A1 has less felt recoil and get back on target faster then my compensated Glock 19.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hi Guys :)

Let's not pick on our Steyrclub Sis's! I, for one, am glad to have them here for their input...and to let the world know that galz shoot M Series Steyr pistols, too. ;)

Take care an' appreciate all our Steyr shootin' guys an' galz. :)

Wulf <-- diggs Steyr gun-toatin' guys an' gals at Steyrclub :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts