Where are the Browning Highpowers?? That's a pros gun!!

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by CCWMAN, Dec 29, 2006.

1. CCWMAN

CCWMAN New Member

You guys have everything but the tried & true classics!! Where are the Kimber or Springfield 1911s, Browning High powers, HK P7s, Beretta 92Fs and Vertecs, and the classic Walther PPKs, Beretta 70S, Mauser HSc,etc??

What's with all the plastic? What is this a Mattel Toy Convention?? :roll:

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

heres a steel frame gun you can shoot anytime you want.
    may want to use gloves its got a bit of a bite
    [​IMG]

will caution you though its much nicer to shoot like this
    [​IMG]
    dont knock it till youve tried it.

steel guns are nice but have you ever tried to make a frame to one?
    modular steel and polymer guns are the way of the future.

plan on building me a set of 1911's in the future for 45acp pistols.
    Hi Power or Beretta would be nice but information on building from scratch is no where near as good as 1911 not as much for parts either.

3. breechplug

breechplug Guest

]
    (*,)

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

If Steyr comes out with a .45 that shoots like the M series, 1911s are going to be in for a hurtin'.

Kimber or Springfield 1911s - heavy to ccw with low round capacity and a decent chance you have to do smithing on them before serious use

Browning High powers -mag disconnect (no thanks on a self defense gun) with the associated sloppy trigger, heavy, poor trigger reset, small safety, and hammer bite

HK P7s - expensive as the dickens for a squeeze me, coc* me, kiss me, love me gun

Beretta 92Fs and Vertecs - just don't treat em rough

Walther PPKs - expensive, low capacity, backup gun cartridge, excessive recoil, and Walther bite (James Bond doesn't even use them anymore)

Beretta 70S, Mauser HSc,etc?? - like the Steyr in .380 and .22LR?

I would like to own all those gun for my safe, and have (and had) 4 of them; but for getting the job done efficiently and state of the art, the part-polymer Steyrs, etc. have the tech advantage.

5. CCWMAN

CCWMAN New Member

SELDEFENSE YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT THE HIGHPOWER, 1911, & 70S

Actually you're very out of step with the times when it comes to properly enhanced High Powers!

1.-Mine had the Mag disconnect removed by a top smith almost immediately after I got it

2.-the trigger is light at 3.75 lbs and greatly enhanced and not at all sloppy(Just takes a little smith work)

3.-I've never had a problem with trigger reset

4.-the new ones have the excellent Ambi Safety if you don't like that Novak makes an excellent replacement that's just like a 1911 safety

5.-Never had a problem with hammer bite and Cylinder & Slide has antibite hammers.

In regards to the Kimbers my Dad, Brother, and I all have them and THE KIMBERS NEVER NEEDED ANY WORK-THEY WERE AWESOME RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!! The springfields are a different matter.

The Elite IA version of the Vertec is not a gun you have to baby-I know people who own them! And I own an 8-shot Beretta M70S .380 and it's AWESOME OUT OF THE BOX-NEEDS NOTHING for reliability or accuracy!

Lastly, how much capacity do you need? My Smith & Wesson M649-2 Bodyguard 5-shot snubby is just fine and my 6-shot Colt Pony pocketlite customized by Scott MacDougall(Now MacDougall Firearm Specialties) is awesome and not much bigger than a .25 auto! I love mine!!! :D Also I don't like all the locks on that darn Steyr and the .380 is too big-I'll stick with my Beretta 70S or Colt Pony Pocketlite .380s.

If you need that much firepower from a handgun then you shouldn't be there to begin with or you need a long gun(Bushmaster AR15, DS-ARMS FN-FAL, Etc.). 8)

I could see possibly getting a Glock 21 in .45 a.c.p. but i'd replace the frame with a "CCRACEFRAMES" brand Aluminum one with slim grip and get a Wolf Enterprizes or GHOST INC Trigger and Bar-Sto Barrel with the New 4th Generation drop free mags! :D So that polymer gun won't be polymer for long. :)

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"1.-Mine had the Mag disconnect removed by a top smith almost immediately after I got it"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Get involved in a shooting with a gun that has had a "safety" feature disabled, and you have a non-trivial chance of saying goodbye to your house and your freedom. (Yes, silly but a sad reality).
    While there may well be enhanced BHPs that amelioriate some of the classic BHP problems, more modern polymer designs are not Mattel toys.
    Plenty of room for different designs and preferences.

7. GTrain

GTrain Guest

1911 style guns are nice but who wants to spend a grand on a gun that is too heavy to conceal and still doesnt shoot as nice as a steyr.

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

CCWMAN, how much did your modification cost....??? and did Cylinder and Slide do it.?? I have a Browning sitting in my safe waiting for a rehab job....
    .........someday..... I love those Brownings.......... :)

9. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I've got one and love that gun 8)

10. SteyrGB

SteyrGB New Member

Have 2 and love them:

FN Hipower Competition 9mm
    FN Hipower SFS Mark III 9mm

no mods except springs and grips, very nice triggers out of the box, great guns

also Springfield 1911-A1 Mil-spec .45

also great out of the box, guess I got a good one

:D

11. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

While I'd put my Steyrs up against anything, coincidentally in about ten minutes I'm headed to buy an FN Hi Power. I've alwasy wanted one since reading Serpico many moons ago. I hope that the one that I was looking at (bought a P90 instead) is still there.

While I really like polymer framed guns, having another steel frame will be nice, and a classic like the Hi Power.

Buzz

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

gotta have at least one HiPower......... :!: :!: :!: :wink:

13. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Yup, I agree, and I've got one now! The less expensive ones were used Argentine FMs so I went with a new FN Mk III. I love the hammer push safety! This gun is a classic, and a work of art. Beautifully executed. The Argentine FMs were rather rough, to say the least.

Buzz

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Hungarian Browning clones?

Speaking of Browning Hi-Powers, I saw a pair of Hungarian-made Browning clones in a local gunshop and almost bought one of them. They are made by Hungarian FEG company.

One had a double-action trigger, which I read on the 'Net is a copy of the S&W double-action, single-action. It was very smooth, even in double-action, but single-action was very sweet.

The other model was an exact copy of a Hi-Power and single-action only. And both were cheap, the DA/SA was only $240 with some holster wear but functionally perfect; and the SA-only looked brand new at $270.

The SA model had a ventilated rib on the barrel. Here's an oddly green-tinted photo I found on the Net. The one I saw was a perfect gun blue.

[​IMG]

The DA/SA model looks like this photo of (FEG) Model FP9, without the ventilated rib.

[​IMG]

I read that the Hungarian clones are well made and share most parts with genuine Hi-Powers.

Anybody got any experience with these Hungarian Brownings? At that price, I was tempted to get one of them.

15. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

The Feg looks nice. Ten times better than the Argentine FMs. But, I have heard that there are a few different quality FMs out there. The two that I saw were very rough and not cheap.

One other thing is that from what I understand the FN HPs are a thing of the past as to being imported into this country, and the 9mm are already rare.

All in all I'm happy that I picked up the FN HP (Mk III). It was more than I was planning on spending by $100, but in the end that will be money well spent.

Buzz

16. some_finn

some_finn Guest

But of course! 8)

[​IMG]

Very late Mk1 Sport with Cocobolo Dorado grips.

17. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

FEG Browning HP

Just got back from the gunshop where I saw the FEG Hungarian-made Browning Hi-Power and I bought it.

I googled it and apparently I must have a rare model because I couldn't find any pages with anything exactly like the one I just bought. Info on slide says it's Model MBK-9HP in 9mm Para., Made in Hungary, imported by Kassnar Imports Inc. of Harrisburg, Pa.

I did find out on the Web that FEG made the Browning Hi-Power under license, so it's not a clone as I thought.

I shot a box of shells through it at the shop range and the double-action/single-action trigger is smooth and sweet.

Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

It ain't as pretty as the one above by some_finn, but I bet it's one heck of a lot cheaper. It's a 15-round DA/SA that some $150 cheaper than a new M9-A1 from CDNN.

I guess I ain't no 9mm snob no more. As a 1911 .45 shooter in the Navy and a 10mm owner, I've said many times that I'd never own a 9mm. I ought to have learned by now as I close in on my 6th decade that I ought not to say what I'll never do. Anyway, I went and done it and I won't be badmouthing no 9mm pistols no more.

18. smores

smores Guest

Well, it's not a High Power, but I like mine just as well ;) - Sorry in advance for the poor quality, I shot these the other day with my PHONE! My real camera is in an undisclosed location currently... the CIA knows where it is, but they won't tell me :x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]