Where are the bargain shooting ranges?

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by cutter, Sep 14, 2017.

1. cutter

cutter New Member

I find it interesting that the cost of shooting at gun ranges varies widely state-to-state. I prefer to shoot at an outdoor range, and living in Chicago, I find the Illinois ranges to be expensive and almost all have hourly rates. However, I can drive about an hour into Indiana and pay $4 to shoot all day at an excellent, well monitored outdoor range in Kingsbury. This range, as well as a number of other bargain ranges, are run by the Indiana Dept of Natural Resources.

It gets even more interesting. When my dad passed I inhereted his home in Houston. We go to this "second home" a few times each year. Yet shooting ranges in Texas are as expensive, or more expensive, than in the Chicago area. I believe this may be because range owners may contribute to politicians to keep the cost of shooting ranges high in Texas. Go figure!
    T-5 likes this.
  2. scott harrell

scott harrell Member

Well, for one, you just changed from Chicago to little Chicago in Texas.

3. John McD

John McD New Member

Here in Ohio I buy a yearly pass for $24.... I can shoot as much as I want all year long. The range is also a half hour from my house... I'm not sure how many the state has....