When you get a FTE...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Gray_Wolf, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

what happends when you get a FT Eject?

a) case is still inside the chamber (either completely or half way) but not pinned by the 'next' round.

b) case is 'caught' by the slide (left the chamber).

c) case is completely inside the chamber with a 'next' round pinned into it.

for me (with reloads) it's C and (than) A... just want to see if there is a pettern.

2. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

after my first 90 rounds in my new m40-a1 with "RANGE" reloads yesterday I had a few failure to FIRE's where the slide didn't fully close and on the first one the round jammed the slide closed, it took a lot of force to eject it. on the all 3 the primers were slightly dented but didn't set off the round. The RO told me to re try one of them and it worked and then shot about 30 more, so I don't know what that was about. I do know that the ftf's weren't until around 90 and then 120 rounds and when I cleaned the gun after it had A LOT of brass bits all over the inside, as well as a lot of powder crap.
    Is the slide not fully seating a common prob w/ steyr or just guns using crappy reloads?

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

it happens during initial break in should stop soon referring to FTB

reloads is a bit discouraging only reloads I shoot are ones I made.
    brass fired in a glock may not resize enough which could be trouble in a steyr chamber.

its usually called Failure to Battery slide not going all the way forward. its good for primer to not go off at that point. make sure gun is in battery.

clean the brass bits out may want to clean the striker channel also.

4. Tartan427

Tartan427 New Member

My FTE's are only with Remington UMC and result in condition "a".

5. Fredhead

Fredhead New Member

?FTX?

All the small arms "experts" I've been able to
    talk to in the last few years describe a "Failure
    to Extract" as different from a "Failure to Eject",
    yet both are always called an FTE. Most of these
    guys, including the gunsmiths, tell me that a failure
    to extract (ftx?) is invariably a weapon failure, and
    that as most of us know, a failure to eject (fte), could
    have a variety of causes.

6. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

FTX what a wonderfull idea

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

:p

How bout FTW...failure to work. <shrug> Better yet, FTGB...failure to go boom! 8) Works for me. :p
    J/K :!:

Wulf <-- a few too many Caronas

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Or FTCTBCAACCWW - Failure To Continue To Be Carried As A CCW Weapon.

9. madecov

madecov Active Member

Mine started to have failure type A . Steyr replaced the extractor spring and all is cool now.

10. Kelso

Kelso Guest

chamber fix?

I have had a very few of the "C" variety, but timing was bad, during competition. I disassembled the extractor and it was dirty. Sunday however it happened twice in the same string of fire causing me to piddle away about 20 seconds. It made me wonder if my chamber was dirty. So I went to the safe area and cleaned the chamber thoroughly. Next stage bang, bang, bang...perfect.
    I went home and I polished the chamber with some 1000 grit hoping a smooth surface would be slower to get sticky. I also ordered out the spring package from Brownells, I will post if I get good results.
    See ya guys, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year,
    Rick

11. Kelso

Kelso Guest

I bumped into a friend at the range yesterday and he told me he sat with the range gunsmith for about an hour while he worked on the Steyr M9 range rental gun. Lots of FTEs. Apparently the problem according to the Smith was the loaded chamber indicator. It was not getting out of the way and consequently the extractor was not getting a good grab on the brass. He said the loaded chamber indicator spring was way stronger than it needed to be, and the "LCI" was a bit gunked-up. He also reccomended polishing the breech face, chamber, and the face of the extractor with a good India Stone.
    He also mentioned that removing the "LCI" was a lot of work. I have done everything he suggested already, I expect my spring pack to come today from Brownells. That will give me a chance to see just how dirty the extractor has become over the last 150 rnds.
    Later,
    Rick

12. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I've heard this before about the LCI from a guy (on another forum) he also mentioned it here... :?

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/steyr_m9.htm

btw IMO you don't need to clean the extrcator that often, I oly cleaned mine once after ~1000 rounds and it wan't that dirty...