What's that noise?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Waltherfan01, May 6, 2013.

1. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Hi all,

After being shot briefly yesterday by my Pastor (who loved the gun, by the way), my S40-A1 has started to make a strange rattling noise when I tilt the gun up or down. It also feels as if something is sliding around in the slide. I immediately unloaded the gun and took it apart to look for a problem but nothing obvious jumped out at me. I put the gun back together and tilted up and then down, there was no rattle and nothing slid around. The rattling and sliding only happen when the gun is loaded. I'm positive the gun is assembled correctly as I only field strip it. I'm using the 10rd S40 magazines. Any ideas on what could be causing this? The gun shot perfectly for my Pastor (and no, I didn't shoot it. Long story.).

Thanks!

Ps. Chambered or un-chambered doesn't matter, if the mag is in the gun it rattles, unless the mag is unloaded. Weird.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

I have heard my M40-A1 mag rattle when full of ammo. It did this once, but has not since that one time. I figured that a round was somehow not held tight enough in the mag to prevent rattling. Yours is the same situation, perhaps? Cheers.

3. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Maybe, Tuicatuica, but I shook the mag and it doesn't rattle when it's outside the gun. I've taken the S40 out of CC rotation until this is resolved. I'd like to get it to the range and see if it still makes the noise after a few mags, but I don't know when I'll be able to do that. Thanks for trying!

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Walther* :)

Can ya maka audio recording of the noise an' post it or email it to me?

Only thing I could think of is somehow a round isn't properly secured in the magazine, beyond that, I haven't a clue. <shrug>

Do the mags feel a bit tight or perhaps sloppy in the magwell?

Does the mag follower angle seem OK?

What kinda ammo? A bit too long, maybe?

Plz keep us in the loop.

Wulf <-- never recalls hearin' any strange "somethin' loose in 'is mag kind o' noise" <shrug>

5. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Hiya Wulf,

The noise isn't real loud, but I'll try to get a recording for ya. Also, I don't think its the magazine because there's no slop in the magwell, nor is it difficult to insert. The follower seemed fine, and has always fed Hornady Critical Defense real well (which is what got shot yesterday). I think the problem is in the slide assembly somewhere, but I'm not real confident with the idea of taking the slide apart. When I aim the gun (loaded, unfortunately) at the ceiling I feel something "falling" down the slide, which makes the rattle. When I point the gun at the floor the same thing happens, something "falls" towards the muzzle. Could it be the striker? Should I call Steyr?

Thanks!

Walther

6. Doc

Doc New Member

Mine's done the same thing as long as I've had it and there haven't been any issues. I'm fairly certain it's from rounds rattling in the magazine when there is pressure from the top. To test this out, put rounds into the magazine but don't load it into the pistol. Press down on the top round with your thumb and shake the magazine back and forth (in the direction the rounds are facing). If you can reproduce this like I can, there's your answer.

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Walther* :)

1st-ly...ya oughtta get handy at strippin' ur slide for cleanin' an' lubin' purposes, anyway. Periodically, ya should strip 'er down an' clean out the striker channel an' do a light CLP lube on all surfaces. That's a given. <shrug>

Also, its a good idea ta clean an' lube the extractor bore, as well, makin' sure not ta over-lube anythin'. Just make sure ya use the clear plastic bag method ta retain any springs that tend to wanna teleport themselves to another dimension, at least til ya grok the process and can anticipate the teleportation scenario. A lit'l practice, an' yer good ta go. :thumbsup:

I would familiarize myself with these procedures, because in the long run, they will come in handy for any Steyr pistol owner/cleaner/luber role...promise!

If I were in your shoes, I'd strip the slide down an' see if there's anything strange in the striker/striker spring/striker weight/striker channel assembly out of the ordinary. I don't see how a magazine, loaded or unloaded would make a difference in the striker being "free to fall with the simple aid of gravity". Course, I really ain't that savvy as a gunsmither, but I do suppose I'd like ta know what ta do if my M357-A1 was actin' up. <shrug>

Jeff Reese won't be back in the office til tomorrow, but I wouldn't hesitate ta call 'im about it.

Whatever ya find out, plz keep us in the loop.

G'luck, Bro! :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- kinda cold an' soggy an' headed ta the woodstove for some comfort

8. jhb

jhb Member

I was gonna guess the infamous loose round in the mag, but sounds more like the striker is free falling like my makarov does with its free firing pin setup, from your description. In that regard, is that like the noise...similair to a free firing pin setup rattling back and forth when you shake the gun back and forth?

Edit part..2 more thought...thought #1. could it be as simple as the magazine rocking back and forth a tiny bit in the gun from the weight of the rounds in it and when unloaded there isn't enough weight to make the magazine rock back and forth?

Thought #2. Does the noise happen when no magazine is inserted? If so could we assume its a part that engages with the magazine or its the magazine itself making the noise? Just thinking outloud......

9. test733

test733 New Member

Do you have only one mag? Can you try with another one?
    Take the slide off the frame, push the striker back with your finger, as if it is loaded and try to tilt the slide. Do you hear any sounds?

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

This. I'm pretty sure most Steyrs will do this most of the time - at least, it has been common in my experience. My old H&K USPc used to do this too.

11. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Ok guys, I'm stumped. I checked all 4 of my magazines, none of them rattled when I put pressure on them fully loaded. I tested each magazine in the gun, plus 1 in the chamber, and I couldn't get the gun to make that noise again. It made the noise all day yesterday and the night before but now it is silent! I don't think I did anything, as all I did was take the slide off a few times. I did push the striker back like Test733 suggested with no results. Guess maybe the noise was just a fluke. I'm still going to keep it out of CC rotation until I can get out and shoot it and make sure it's functioning properly. Thank you all for your suggestions.

12. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

OK...More symptoms! When my one mag rattled (never the other one!?), everything else was fine from the outside. No follower misalignment, no base problems, etc. And it did not rattle every time it was loaded, perhaps one time out of 10?

Since I have shot the M40-A1 and cycled both mags while firing the problem has vanished completely. Hope those Austrian Gremlins will depart from your pistol as well! Cheers.

13. KYT

KYT New Member

One of the mags that came with my M9-A1 has always rattled, the other one does not.
    I contacted Steyr about it and they sent me 2 much longer springs. These springs did not fix the rattle, all they did was make putting more than about 12-13 rounds in the mag much more difficult.
    Upon a close inspection, I can watch 1 round wiggle just a tad when I tilt the mag side to side while holding it vertically.
    I don't recall if it was the first or second round, but it's one right near the follower.
    It's fairly annoying, but has never affected reliability. The problem sorts itself out once the wiggly round makes it up the mag to where it narrows.
    If your problem is the same thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I carry mine, it only makes noise when I twist quickly.

14. 63expert

63expert New Member

IIRC my HK USPc .40 did the same thing. Of course the case is larger in diameter at the web than at the mouth, so if it is only being pinched near the head then it will allow the front of the case to move about.

15. scottyd3892

scottyd3892 Member

Yeah the 12 round magazine on my gen1 m40 rattles when it's full but when I have 11 it doesn't rattle.

16. ShelbyV8

ShelbyV8 New Member

Rounds rattling in the magazine is a common problem in double stack magazines from many manufacturers. Slapping the magazine on the palm of the hand to seat the rounds will sometimes help. When you have a rattling magazine, remove one round if the rattling goes away you know what the problem is.

17. scottyd3892

scottyd3892 Member

The only rattle I hear is from the striker. With the slide off I shook it back and forth all I can hear rattle is the striker. When I have slide off and I shake the frame all I hear rattling is the safety switch, I got the gen1 m40 so I got the safety above the trigger and the key lock safety both. If it shoots fine I wouldn't worry about it. Your probably hearing the striker move back and forth. The magazine rattle doesn't really bother me. I just keep 11 in it, that's all I need. Happy shooting