What's a reasonable break-in period for M9-A1 before being concerned about FTF/FTEs?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Inazone, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Inazone

Inazone Member

I bought my M9-A1 about a month ago at Cabela's, and it's one of the PW-imported "mutts". So far, I've only had it to the range twice, and have put around 200-300 rounds through it to see what ammo I can comfortably share between the Steyr and my Beretta PX4. So far, neither gun seems to be as accurate with Sellier & Bellot as with other brands, although the S&B (incl. Herter's 115gr made by S&B) didn't have any issues aside from inconsistent accuracy.

Up to this point I've had two FTFs (Aguila 124gr FMJ and Federal or Remington 115gr JHP) and one FTE (Speer Lawman 115gr FMJ), and my much more experienced shooting buddies assure me that this isn't unusual. One, who was there when I had the FTE (and reloads his own 9mm), thought that the Speer casing looked "off" and chalked it up to an ammo issue rather than the gun, and said that he considers 500 rounds as the minimum break-in period. Furthermore, he shot the Steyr and loved it, which I take as high praise coming from a competition shooter with quite a collection of high-end firearms.

Anyway, my first thought after reading various posts about M9 issues was to panic a bit, but thinking back to other guns I own/owned, two FTFs and one FTE during the first ~300 rounds is normal or even on the low side. But being new to Steyrs and otherwise loving this gun, I guess I'm curious as to what is reasonable for break-in.

2. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Re: What's a reasonable break-in period for M9-A1 before being concerned about FTF/FT

Only 2 to 3 issues in first 300 rounds?

That sounds fantastic to me!

I couldn't hit a barn from 10 feet away with my 22 till i shot 300 rounds though it.

Though, honestly with the 22 and in all oddities, I don't think I ever had a FTE.
    I had a few failure to enter battery, but that's cause it was dirty.

All the other guns I've owned or shot have always been broke in, so this was my first experience with a new firearm.

3. Shinobi-son HSC

Shinobi-son HSC New Member

Re: What's a reasonable break-in period for M9-A1 before being concerned about FTF/FT

I took my M9-A1 to the range, put about 100 rounds through it, and had about 6-10 FTE. Also bought mine from Cabelas. The first clip I punched through it worked fine, and so did the last 2, but in between is when I had off of the FTE's. I was just using range ammo, so clearly not the best quality, but Jeff from Steyr US is sending me a new extractor just to be safe.

Anyways I would just put some more rounds through yours and see what happens. If it FTE on that one brand, try putting 300 more rounds through of another that didn't and see what happens. Then don't carry that brand that had the FTE.:wall:

4. Dameander

Dameander New Member

Hey guys. I was having the same problems with my M9-a1 purchased from Cabela's here in Reno, NV. But thanks to the help of some veteran SC members I realized it wasn't a break in period that was the issue. It was a bad extractor. So per their suggestion I contacted Jeff Reece at Steyr Arms jreece at steyrarms dot com and he sent me out a new extractor and no 900+ rounds later NO malfunctions.

I would send him an email right away if I were you. He's a nice guy and shipped the new extractor free of charge. And the experience of putting it into the gun was a great way for me to learn more about the ingenious design. Goodl luck.

Dameander

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
  5. pecos88

pecos88 New Member

Hi,
    As a total rifle person (break-in is critical!!!) My experience for years with semi auto pistols was dismal!! I have had plenty of wheel guns that never failed, so why does my Kimber etc. 1911 planform pistols have to be so quirky with even premium ammo! Then I bought a Glock....never looked back!(circa 1992) I feel if my reloads will feed and fire with NO failures regardless of variation of load and bullet, I can trust it. Next step was my Steyrs. Both my M9-A1 and 40 cal have never misfired or misfed from day one, eating mostly reloads, often being subject to poor cleaning habits without any problems!! So break in....I guess i have been lucky.

Good Luck and shoot often

Randy
    Randy

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

400 FMJ and 100 with carry ammo would be ideal

7. Inazone

Inazone Member

If the weather cooperates, I will be going back to the outdoor range on Thursday to put some more rounds through the M9. I'm going to shoot strictly 124gr this time since that's my defensive preference, probably Fiocchi and Speer Lawman, although I did pick up some 117gr Aguila JHPs that I want to try out too. If I have any problems this time around, I'll probably go ahead and contact Jeff about an extractor.

8. Crigerstine

Crigerstine New Member

My S9-A1 had multiple FTE per magazine in the beginning. I detailed the extractor after about 200-300 rounds and started firing any 124 gr rounds. My FTE's diminished quickly and now I can shoot any grain or quality rounds from it. I'm at about 600 rounds in now.

9. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Just like a new car.
    Take it easy at first, then let er open up when its broke in.

10. Inazone

Inazone Member

I put another 150 rounds or so through the M9 today, and it performed great with zero problems. It does seem to shoot better with 124gr ammo in terms of accuracy. Today's "menu" consisted of Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ, Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ and Aguila 117gr JHPs, plus a handful of police training surplus (kept sticking in the magazine due to corrosion) and my buddy's reloads that shot fine. This puts me at right around 450-475 rounds with two FTFs and one FTE total since buying the gun, with one of each being during the same outing.

11. TollKeeper

TollKeeper New Member

First post!

I also just bought a M9A1 from Cabela's here is St Louis. Althou I have only put about 300 rounds, of diferent makes, I have not had any FTF's. But I have been averaging about 6-10 rounds per 100 that are FTE. I think I need to follow up with Jeff on the extractor..

I will say that even if the FTE continues, I love my M9. The sights are easy for my to get to target with, it fits my holster nicely, and it fits my hand better. I am thinking about buying a few more mags, and getting the barrel kits to have it fire in other calibers. But it appears the conversion kits are no longer on the Steyr website.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I have to ask, how hard is it to replace the extractor?

Brian

Steyr M9A1 - Mine
    1891 Sporterized Mauser - My first!
    Bersa Thunder380 - Wifes

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Incredibly easy if you have a small blade flathead screwdriver.

13. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

indeed, i use a "precision" scewdriver kit that i got @ harbor freight tools.... very easy to do.

14. Inazone

Inazone Member

This will probably be my last follow-up report for a while since I won't be making it back to the range for a few weeks. I put another 150 or so rounds through the M9-A1 today, consisting of Remington UMC 115gr FMJ and JHP, and some Aguila 124gr FMJ that has become my budget range ammo of choice. I let some friends fire it a bit with their own ammo, mainly Winchester NATO (115gr FMJ) and various reloads. The only issue *I* had was one FTF with the Remington JHP that locked the gun up good until one of my buddies was able to work some gun guru magic to free it up. (I've had only one other FTF with this kind of ammo, and it was in a Hi-Point 995TS carbine that will eat virtually anything, so I can't really fault the Steyr for having one issue.) Another of my friends did have trouble with a couple of 115gr FMJ reloads that he bought at a gun show, but he's had trouble in his own guns with the same stuff. I might be responsible for that, as I sprayed some Gun Scrubber inside last night and oiled it up with Hoppe's oil this morning, but realized afterward that I only oiled the slide after the cleaning. A shot of oil at the range (after the FTF) may not have made any difference, but I shot the rest of the Remington JHPs without issue.

So, as far as the ammo I can personally account for, I've had a grand total of 3 FTFs and 1 FTE after roughly 600 rounds through the gun.

15. Bojangles

Bojangles New Member

What do you mean by "detailed the extractor"

Cheers

B

16. ThorInc

ThorInc New Member

Both a "new" Steyr M9 A1 in Canada made in Nov 08 and after 550 rounds, not one FTF or FTE Period! Also, Steyr will replace the extractor if there are issues AFAIK.

17. TollKeeper

TollKeeper New Member

Went to the range last week, put 200 rounds thru it, S&B, and had only -2- FTE's. I was very happy, and was loving the accuracy I was getting with my M9. I am loving the S&B, but the cost is a bit higher for just plinking out some rounds out the range..

Fast Foward to today..

Blazers Aluminum Case was on sale at 9 bucks for 50.. Sure, what can it hurt.

Lets just say if I had gotten any angrier at the range, the M9 would be down range. I know it was just the ammo.. But damnit. Every other shot was a FTE. And clearing the jams on a 100 rounds.. Lets just say I was getting very annoyed.. Made a B-Line for my local amo store, and bought a brick (1000 rounds) of S&B.

Just finishing up cleaning the M9, and my wifes 380A (Bersa Thunder 380). Hopefully I can forget today..

Now to track down some Ammo for my Mauser..

18. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I really want to try some blazer aluminum in my c9-a1.

19. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've never had any issues at all with Blazer Aluminum or Brass in either of my Steyrs. Every gun is different, but 2 FTEs should not qualify as an acceptable degree of failures IMHO (granted, it might just be break-in issues)...

20. Talyn

Talyn New Member

2fte's with the S&B ammo bro. not the blazer aluminum.