What to do with this????

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by mrboma, Jul 18, 2007.

1. mrboma

mrboma Member

I need some help here. I brought my new M9-A1 over to my buddy's that I frequently go shooting with. Of course he immediately fell in love and plans to pick one up after we go and shoot mine. He quickly went into his closet and dug out a mesh bag full of 9mm rounds and handed them to me. I didnt really look at the rounds - FREE is FREE afterall. So rounds come home, and this is what i've got...

[​IMG]

They aint pretty and I would like to take advantage of the FREEBEE range trips. I am also excited about testing this crap through my new toy. How would one go about cleaning these rounds up? Simple solvent bath? Lil brushing with oil after??

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You will want to be careful with any oil you let around your ammunition - it can soak into and ruin the primers if they are not properly sealed. To be honest, I'd probably wipe them off as best I could with a slightly damp cloth, let them dry, and then shoot it. Consider it a test to see how sensitive your pistol will be to dirty ammo :).

I assume your friend isn't some crazy (or lazy) reloader and that these rounds were factory loaded? I'd be pretty nervous about shooting some random, dirty, old, reloaded ammo from god-knows-where...

3. mrboma

mrboma Member

Syn,
    My buddy is the kind of guy that drops an 07 Vette engine into his Jeep, slaps 44's and military axels on the feet and heads out to the Rubicon. Most likely this is bulk ammo bought at a Gun Show.

The bottoms all say "WCC 97"
    I have NO idea what this means.

Damp cloth and air dry? Thats it?

Mike

4. mrboma

mrboma Member

Gotta love Google

Here is the spec's on thw ammo....

What you have is Winchester brass.
    The letters originally stood for
    Western Cartridge Company. They
    were bought by Winchester, hence
    the Winchester-Western (W-W) brand.
    Those are 9mm NATO (circled 4 point star)
    rounds manufactured in 1997.

Painstakingly wiping all ammo down woth a damp cloth,

Mike

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

depends on the oil I have taken plenty of cartridges applied some hoppes to them and used a towel put all the rounds on the towel folded it
    swung them around and rolled them around then start inspecting them.

nato ammo the primers may be crimped in which would be little tougher for oil to get through.

6. Dag

Dag Guest

Dirty Ammo

Hi mrboma

Some of that looks like corrosion (hard to tell from the photo). Make sure none of the ammo looks like the corrosion has eaten significantly into the case. Wiping and drying is good. I'd also recommend putting it all through a case tumbler, probably with walnut media. I frequently clean up freshly loaded ammo in a tumbler. If all still looks OK, pick a couple of the cleanest and give them a try. Then work your way through the rest. If it is surplus NATO ammo, it could be somewhat hotter than typical commercial 9mm. Good luck and keep us "posted". :)

Dag

7. Dag

Dag Guest

Dirty Ammo

Oh yeah, and make sure you thoroughly clean your barrel after the range session!

Dag

8. mrboma

mrboma Member

Thanks Dag. Exactly what I had planned. I will deffinately let you know how the Steyr goobles up the crap ammo.
    Mike