What the heck ???

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by louishob, Feb 22, 2007.

1. louishob

louishob Premium Member

I just got my M357 A1 yesterday. Not only is it my first Steyr, it's my first poylmer frame gun. Are you supposed to see daylight between the slide and frame ? To an old government model guy, this is darn disconcerting. Somebody please say something reassuring.

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

can you post a picture?

all my steyrs have a small fairly precise gap between the dust cover and slide

you should see my S&W sigma's gap.

doesnt affect function any but could allow dirt and sand in.

heres pic of a steyr that got scanned.
    [​IMG]
    rarely see in pictures anything through the gap other than light at a specific angle. some guns are worse you can see springs and other parts.

3. West01

West01 New Member

Yep!

Its an acquire taste isn't it.

All polymer handguns have idiosyncrasies like this.

The SA-XD slide is held to the frame (grip) in the back with polymer groove. Yet, its work great.

The Glock's frame is so slim that it is hard to imagine that it will not fall apart.
    Yet, its work great.

The HK USP feel like a plastic ray-gun from Mattel's "Major Mat Mason" toy series. (maybe your to young to remember that :wink: ). I guess you get he point :) .

You will enjoy to to low felt recoil and the accuracy of your Steyr. I think very few steel/alloy frame pistol can beat that.

Did I mentioned that the M's are strong like heck.

Cheers!

West01
    :D

4. louishob

louishob Premium Member

I't a small gap, however I can see the bottom of the barrel. A little pressure on the front of the slide closes the gap. I've seen several write-ups prasing Steyr's accuracy, but that much play in the slide is a little scary. I guess I'm getting old. New fangled stuff is starting to freak me out.

5. louishob

louishob Premium Member

By the way, does anyone know where I can get schematics on the M357 ? No information on field stripping came with the weapon.

6. louishob

louishob Premium Member

I remember Matt Mason. What I did this morning eludes me however.

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

there are dis-assembly guides in the articles/tutorials section of this site.

there is also a parts blow up in the pictures section. this is the same one that is in the back of the manual, but i assume you do not have the manual.

also, gap is 100% normal.

the steyr is designed such that the black plastic "frame" is only used as a handle and to hold the magazine.

the pistol will function 100% WITHOUT the grip. assuming you can hang on and feed it rounds. pretty amazing,huh?

since this is the case, the grip is designed to allow the gun to cycle freely by not contacting the slide.

8. louishob

louishob Premium Member

Ok. This is all pretty new to an old steel and wood guy.
    Thanks for the info !