What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by midtnshooter, Jan 24, 2007.

1. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

I am new to the Steyr Family and I only want to be a part of this family. I don't want to start some "Oh My God What Will Happen Next" fear. I read the articles about the existence of Steyr and what has happened the last "many" years. I have follen in love with my M40 A-1 and will always promote it when I can. Anyone who has read any of my post will agree with my "open heart" sometimes overly emotional fondness for this piece of machinery. I have read everything from SAI is looking at stopping the production of future handguns, BATF preventing imports, parts not being available for replacement/backup purposes to "quick lets sell our weapons to somone who doesn't know better". For what it's worth, I LOVE MY PISTOL. I have great grouping with minimul recoil. I have the multiple chances at all the other Glock owners to say, "Your shooting a Glock? Try my Steyr !".

Again, I am new to the Steyr family and have thought about selling it for a pistol that will be around for years to come. I don't want to sell, because DAM*IT, I simply love this gun. When I used my pistol at our indoor range against other professionals (I am not endorsed nor am I a police officer) I had a constance grin because what I lacked in total control of my weapon, the .40 made up with accuracy.

What steps can we do to insure the SAI succeeds? I don't want to be paranoid, nor do I want to expect them to simply move their inventory from one importer to the next. My son has shot my weapon on several occassions and said that he wants it when I am through with it. I has Blade-Tech make me a speed holster and H*LL, I love my gun.

We can email Oliver till were blue in the face. I have talked with him and he said that he receives over three (YES THREE) hundred emails a day concerning every imageable issue. Emailing him might not be the idea or the ideal choice. We might need to send the company an old fashion snail mail letter. It is always easier to send a "quick" message and is often overlooked or often put on the back burner because their life is as busy or busier than ours.

Do you, my new family, agree that we should send a letter that would receive more attention to the matter. I spent all of 45 seconds doing the math. In fact it will take me more time writing the post than it would to send the letter. I believe the letter should take about five minutes to write, ten minutes to fill out the envelope and stamp it and thirty seconds to drop in the mailbox. The reward is that everyone in Austria will know and realize that you mean what you say because you took the time.

I LOVE MY WEAPON and I want some parts, sights, etc. I know if we are aware of their situation..... so is the after marketeers.

Please tell me I'm wrong and that I have nothing to worry about. For those who are knew to this weapon...rest assured that the weapon you have purchased is "Great and trustworthy". My concerns is that I send alot of lead down range (more than the mom and pop) and want parts.

I can fix most of my problems (i.e.; shoving the barrel in the mud because it's easier to place it there than my speed loader). Please make me feel better, 'cause my wife really doesn't want me to invest any more money than what "She Wants".

Thank you all,
    MidTNShooter

2. midtnshooter

Nominate MidTNShooter for a Medal

Wow ! This guy is great !. We should name some street after him. I only wish.......... yeah yeah yeah... I know.

I just wanted to reply to my own post.

Thank you All,
    MidTNShooter

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

havent heard anything about stopping production or atf stopping import that was solidly true. its more to do with finances apparently is a link around to article of czech government bailing steyr out with a purchase.

importation is probably done after liquidating and probably going to close steyrarms in us too bad people working there were nice and always helpfull as much as they could be seemed like they were kept on a short leash.

4. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

so....the question then is....do i hold on to my M9 for collectors value?....or trade it in for something i can shoot and actually get repaired if it breaks?

I was already in the market for a Ruger KP95R15.....maybe just get that for my primary shooter, keep the steyr for now?

5. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Midt, I am right there with you 100% I am stuck between a rock and...
    I LOVE my m40-a1 It is the FIRST gun I have ever just held out of the box that JUST FIT. It felt like it was made for my hand.
    I did a lot searching before I accidentally stumbled across steyr and I was HOOKED. This was going to be my only handgun purchase for a while so I wanted to make it a good one. I don't have the money to have 3 or 4 brands of guns (one day I will :roll:) so this IS my home defense and all around gun. I was happy when I plunked down my hard earned greens in late November 2006 I thought this is great!!!
    Now this. I don't want to sell it but I want to shoot it. I know that with 350 rounds through it with no probs I am still good. But what should I do, Just keep shooting or sell it? I talked with my wife tonight and she said to KEEP it because it's such a great gun.
    So for now I will get a few more mags (if there are any left) and start the writing campaign.
    :? :cry: #-o

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'm actually surpised at all this talk of unloading the pistols - my slant on the matter was that perhaps now the value will increase since they should become harder to get. Parts availability is a bummer and Steyr Arms sure did have rocking customer service that will be sorely missed, but none of that changes the fact that the pistol is still awesome.

Besides, they haven't closed up shop yet and to the best of my knowledge, there still isn't an official "we're done" straight from the horse's mouth.

7. midtnshooter

Wife talk 101

I told the wife and TOLD HER WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO !!! (haha :p haha). She said she thought I loved it. I agreed to hold onto it and purchase something like the Smith & Wesson PPC9 for the range. Boy will little gun put my hobby (eating) on hold for a while.

MidTNShooter

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I spoke with a shooting buddy yesterday who had heard that Steyr was in trouble and knowing that I own three he asked me what I was going to do. One of my guns has been shot, the other two remain unshot. Was I going to keep the two unshot guns as an investment. He figured that in time they would become very valuable and especially so in an unshot condition. His question gave me pause to think.

My response to him was that I own no safe queens. I own a gun to shoot it, and that is exactly what I will do with my Steyrs, all three of them. They are great guns made as solid as tanks (my buddy's words) and I mean to shoot them. Yeah, with some excellent timing some years back I made a good chunk of money buying and selling some guns, but the Steyr deserves better than that, at least from where I sit.

Buzz

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Use them as you would if there was no problem, and if they need repair the availability of such will determine whether you continue to use it or not. Dan Wesson deja vu all over again?

10. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

In the short term prices are going to tank. CDNN will be selling MA1s for $299 within a couple of months.

Eventually they will become somewhat collectable (like Steyr GBs) and then we'll see what happens to prices.

As for parts, springs are somewhat standardized so replacement ones should be available (and thats the parts most likely to need replacement).

I've had my M40 since early '02 and after several thousand rounds, I haven't replaced anything on it and would still trust it with my life (as much as I would trust any gun).

Now the S pistols ... these are the ones that are going to climb in value.

11. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

with a little work and a cnc mill parts issues could be eased for most parts. polymer pieces like frame and trigger take some work. magazines are tough though S&W sigma mags may be modded but they are not cheap and dont always fit as nicely.

hit up the company thats making the aug and see if they could maybe do this. though sound like they have theyre hands full with Aug.

IGB should be able to come up with springs and barrel and ISMI may be able to do springs.