What should I do????

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by PeskyGee, Apr 26, 2006.

1. PeskyGee

PeskyGee New Member

Hey all,

Well, it appears that my M9-A1 is a gonner :cry: After about 2 weeks at SAI, and a few days of phone tag with Alan he left me a message stating that I have an 2 options. Either I get a new M9-A1 or (and it seems that he is recommending from the the way he stated it on the phone) that I get a M40 instead. I am not sure what I want to do here and I am looking for advice. I don't own a .40 caliber at this time and was thinking of getting one. How much more expensive is the Ammo? I haven't had a chance to price it yet. Is it really better than the M9? Is it bigger? I will be using it for IDPA Comps. and such so what do you guys think? Should I go for the 40 or just get another M9?

Thanks in advance :)

2. soapyballs

soapyballs New Member

I own an M40 and a S9 both are great guns I tend to have a tighter groupings with the M40. Ammo at Walmart (WWB) is about $3 to $4 more for the 40s&w in the 100 target box.

3. mikey

mikey New Member

Wow, I guess I’m a little out of the loop here, but what on earth caused your new M9-A1 to bite the dust so quickly? That’s got to be pretty discouraging. :(

I do know that there’s no difference in size between the Steyr M9 and M40, and I figure that the A1 series pistols (aside from the light rail) are pretty much the same, too. I can’t speak to the subject of IDPA shooting (I’m totally ignorant here) but the 9 would offer lower recoil and cheaper ammunition costs over the .40. This could be a significant factor, if you plan on a lot of range shooting. I own a M40, because of the promise of better (at least, theoretically) stopping power, but that’s not so important if you’re concentrating on range work.

J&G Sales lists good-quality S&B 9mm for $6.75, while .40 S&W goes for $9.95 a box. J&G’s El Cheapo Russian Wolf ammo goes for $5.95 (9mm) and $8.50 (.40). Yes, I know: Wolf seems to be universally hated around here, but it works just fine in my M40. :D

Either way, the 9mm is significantly cheaper to shoot, and it could be the way to go if you’re doing mostly recreational shooting. And, if you can lay your hands on some surplus military 9mm (some good, some not-so-good) the savings can be even greater.

Some guys own both a 9 and a .40, using the 9 for inexpensive practice and the .40 for street carry. Not a bad idea, if you can swing the ownership of two pistols.

4. PeskyGee

PeskyGee New Member

I haven't talked with Alan yet about exactly what the problem was but I do know that my problem was that the shell casing in the M9 would not extract properly and the gun was hard jamming. I had to field strip the gun everytime and remove the casing with a pair of plyers. Yes, it was really discouraging and now that I have this option, I'm a little weary about going with a M9 again because I don't want to fall back into that situation. The gun will be used mostly for target shooting (IDPA and others) so the fact of the cheaper 9mm ammo is a big seller. But still I am a little weary of getting another dud :? Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming :wink:

5. Slunglo

Slunglo New Member

I am assuming you will get one of these as a replacement at no charge.... If so get the 40. I have shot both the 9 and the 40, and love the 40.... "bigger is better :twisted: ". IMO....

If you don't like it, I am sure someone will buy it quickly....so you won't be stuck with something you don't like....

6. Subcanis

Subcanis New Member

I wouldnt worry about that. Yours is the only case I've heard of (and ignore my low post count on this one, I lurk - a lot). If it were me, IPDA, Id go with the M9. Theoretically lower recoil, though I cant really say as Ive never had the pleasure of shooting an M40.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

When you say M40, I assume you mean a new M40A1? I definitely wouldn't want to downgrade to the old model. Would magazine capacity be an issue with IDPA (I'm not a gamer yet)? If so, the M9A1 definitely has the edge. Also, I too would like to know if these are free of charge replacements? I certainly hope so...

I vote M9A1.

8. PeskyGee

PeskyGee New Member

I talked with Alan today. He didn't state what was wrong with the M9 I had. He sounded a little busy so i didn't want to take up too much time. I asked him which one he recommended and he stated the M40-A1. He stated that he demo's them for Police and others and is a very reliable weapon.
    No, I do not think that this is going to be a standard deal sorry to say. We just had a little miscommunication and took a little time so he was being very nice about it and I appriciate it very much. Its nice to deal with someone in such a company that is willing to deal with the "consumer" and not just big business.
    So...........I grabbed the M40 :)
    I already have an other 9mm so the .40 will fill the gap between that and my .45's. Yeah the ammo is a little more but hey, not more than .45's so I think I can live with it. If Alan recommended it and the opportunity was there, why not? I just hope that I have a little better luck with this one as compared to my 9 :cry:. But now I get the same with a little more balls :lol: . I will be sure to post the rest of the story when I get it. Thanks for the feedback :)

9. madecov

madecov Active Member

The M40A1 is a fantastic weapon.

The muzzle flip on the Steyr is probably the lowest of any 40 cal handgun on the market. I love mine.

Ballistics on the newest generation of defensive/duty ammo is very impressive and gives nothing up to the 45 and, having 12 rounds of 40 in the magazine and one in the pipe is nothing to sneaze at.

10. PeskyGee

PeskyGee New Member

Great to hear. Was hoping to get it before IDPA this weekend but looks like I'm going to have to use it on the next rounds. This will be my first .40 in the group I own so I can't wait to check it out :D

11. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

You're making the right choice in going with the M40A1.

The Steyr was designed from the ground-up to be a .40 caliber pistol. Plus, to get the same lethality out of a 9mm you really have to start using +P ammunition and I'm not fond of placing that kind of stress on a pistol. Ammunition is not that much more for the .40 and if you wait for sales at Walmart or other places you'll barely notice the difference (just be ready to buy a lot when you can).

GOOD LUCK

12. PeskyGee

PeskyGee New Member

Well, I got the M40-A1 today in the mail. :) Delivery was fast and can't complain about the service I received. I am hoping to get to the range tomorrow to test this bugger out. I will post my results when I get to the range. Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

13. friedrice

friedrice New Member

A refreshing story to hear. I am glad they took such good care of you.

14. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

That is good news that you were able to receive a replacement pistol. I like shooting both 9 & 40, so I believe that you made a good choice. Seeing how you already have other 9's in your collection.

15. madecov

madecov Active Member

How did they send the new gun directly to you?

Did they give you the same serial number?

16. PeskyGee

PeskyGee New Member

No the Serial is different but they made the change on the shipping invoice and they have it on record there at the company. I thought I was going to have to get it FFL'ed again but he said no so that saved me a few bucks. I haven't had a chance to get to the range but if weather permits, I think I'm going to try to get out tonight to shoot a little. I will post my report in a new thread :)