What reloading set up do you use

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by Nicholai, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Nicholai

Nicholai Guest

As for the press I use a rock chucker and a Lyman spartan *both inherited, for a powder measure I have an old rcbs and for a scale I have an old rcbs balance and a newer digital but I find the balance much more nostalgic. Most of my equipment is 30 years old but works just fine not to mention kegs of powder my great grandfather bought in the 60's *all dry and safe
    I am much too poor to do progressive I find loading each individually makes you appreciate each shot.

2. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

Lee 3 hole turret with the Auto Disk Pro powder measure and Safety Prime attachment installed .
    I keep spare turrets set up for .40, .32, .45 and 9mm.
    It takes about 2 min. to change dies and adjust the powder measure.
    I use Winchester primers and have found Win 231 powder to work well in all my loads.

It's an extremely economical and reliable rig. Not as fast as a progressive but with very consistent results.

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

lee single stage,lee 4 hole turret with priming,Hornady 5 hole progressive.

4. MACHINgunIST

MACHINgunIST Guest

I too.....use the old HEAVY DUTY CAST IRON ROCKCHUCKER...I reload single stage........about 50 or 100 rounds.....the old fashioned way. I use an old Redding scale and a Lee powder measure....I charge the scale pan a little under.......then use the RCBS powder dribbler to
    bring the charge up to the set charge weight. I use Lee carbide pistol dies. (For anyone contemplating reloading, CARBIDE DIES are the only way to go, for cleanliness/speed/convenience. ) When using fine powders...like Bullseye.....as I rotate the rotor..... I get a little leakge between the rotor and powder measure body......which annoys me.....anybody have a cure........I never analyzed the problem in detail......it appears to be excess clearance.......MAYBE.

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I think Lee's priming system and overall cost makes it the way to go....my second choice would be Hornady LNL progressive. All though I would say everyone should have a Rockchucker, a 1911, and a Browning 9mm... :think:

6. MACHINgunIST

MACHINgunIST Guest

If I was just starting to reload.......I would buy a complete Lee setup.....IMO.........they offer a quality product at a great price.......shooters who load enormous quantities of ammo might want a bit heavier duty setup. My Lee hand held pistol primer is one of my favorite Lee tools.....I lube it w/ moly paste........it's sssssooooo ssmmooootttttthhhhhh. And I like the feel of the primers going into the primer pocket.

7. nixon

nixon Member

I have a Dillon xl 650 progressive with set up for 45 acp; 40 sw and 38 super.
    Even components are getting expensive but overall reloading is still cheaper and ammo are custom made to your own specs. Cant' beat that.