Steyr Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts
Hi Guys :)

If its an AUG prototype, the SN# would have been the end of the matter, IMHO. But, having given it to Austria and it not come back "AUG Pototype" leaves it yet to be discovered. That is still the key. <shrug>

The plot thickens....

Wulf

What if it was a prototype to a clone .. :joker:
Maybe you're not too far from the truth. I think it's a clone to a prototype.

The front sights (which are St44) indicate that whoever made it didn't want to achieve the "new" look of the aug. And as far as i know the aug never was mass produced in that early stage (where it still had the stg44-lended sights).

Now that i think of it ... it would be nice to know if there are any S/N or P/N on the inner pieces.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Maybe you're not too far from the truth. I think it's a clone to a prototype.

The front sights (which are St44) indicate that whoever made it didn't want to achieve the "new" look of the aug. And as far as i know the aug never was mass produced in that early stage (where it still had the stg44-lended sights).

Now that i think of it ... it would be nice to know if there are any S/N or P/N on the inner pieces.
there's no other SN# whatsoever in the inner parts....

Hi
This is Taiwanese Coy of AUG Called Type T68
Hiya Arsalan :)

...and thanx for your post.

Could you plz send me a link to the Taiwanese T68 that you are referring to? I've only been able to locate references to tactical paintball pistols and AK platform carbines. And nothin' "AUG-ish". *sigh*

Thanx again. :)

Wulf

Ah...google translate. How close yet humorously you perform.

Text from above website.

Polish to English translation

Among countries where there are structures bezkolbowe in the mid 90s joined the Republic of China (Taiwan). In 1994, he once revealed the first prototypes of a new Taiwanese rifle caliber 5.56 mm, then known as the XT86. Prototypes differ from each other and it's much, they occurred in many versions and different systems, both classical and bezkolbowym. Three years later, in 1997, showing the first copy of 5.56 mm automatic rifle T68 flask in the system without proper. How to maintain the designer in creating his designs were inspired by the company Heckler & Koch, SIG, Austrian Steyr AUG (in which the weapon is most similar) and the American subkarabinkiem XM177E2.

Carabiner built-in optical viewfinder is adapted to hanging 40mm grenade launcher podlufowego T85. To a large extent of the weapons are interchangeable with another Taiwanese construction - 5.56 mm carbine T65K2 (derived from the American M16 rifle). The weapon is slowly introduced to the equipment branch of the Republic of China.

Hiya Arsalan :)

I said:This is Taiwanese Coy of AUG Called Type T68, NOT T86.
I kinda noted the confusion b/t the T68 and the *T86 in more recent posts.

Can ya plz send me a link to the "Taiwanese T68", w/ or w/o pics that we can use to zero in on your reference to the AUG variant being infact a "...Taiwanese Coy of AUG...."?

I have yet to find anything on the Inet to confirm your suggestion. <shrug>

The Google images search yields nothing helpful to support your "T68 = Taiwan Coy of AUG", and aside from actual pics of AUG's caught in the cloud, the predominant images are AR platform firearms.

When I posted, "...that's a wrap....", I suppose that I was resigned to accept that it was an AUG prototype and somehow not very well documented, or a Chinese Knockoff.

And so, pending further investigation and input from your url link to support your "Taiwanese T68" suggestion, I am now re-resigned to believe that I don't know what the f*ck it is. <shrug>

Hava great weekend. ;)

Wulf <-- still hopin' that someone will come up w/ irrefutable evidence that the AUG variant is of "unknown origin" ... and "found in Roswell, July '47" ;)

Gee Wulf, I hate to disappoint you, but I suspect it was found on a road in East Texas sometime in the '60s. Near that burnt, radioactive spot. :tinfoil::chair:

In reference to the T68:

T65 = original gas piston operated M16A1 type rifle
T68 (T52K2) = M16A2 upgrade equivalent
T86 = M4 upgrade equivalent

Here is a quick link with some good explanation, I believe I have some pics in a couple of books here at home that confirms this

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as82-e.htm

I am not saying that the weird AUG prototype rifle in the original post isn't a Taiwanese made rifle, just that the reference to the T68 is not correct. Also, the rifles listed in that google Translate just don't make any sense when you look at the features- it reads as though it was written by someone who knows very little about the features and commonality of the rifles.

The images that show now are not what showed last month when the link was posted. A single image of an AUG variant appearing identical to the OP's showed. The page in which the image was embedded contained the text (Polish if my poor memory recalls) which I copied/pasted into google translate and posted previously. Unfortunately, no one seems to have thought of archiving the page as it was the only evidence as to what this rifle is. The photo was definitely of a rifle as identical to the OP's as could be told from a photo, regardless of the text's accuracy.

Guys...

The confusion seems to stem from the use of "T68" in reference to anything AUG-ish. I've not located anything on the Inet linking T68 to any bullpups. Everything that I've uncovered has been related to the AR platforms. <shrug>

That's all I'm sayin'. <shrug>

So, all I'm askin' for now is for someone to come to the table with a link that connects T68 with the AUG bullpup...or any bullpup, for that matter. Something other than the AR platform and airsofts. <shrug>

Wulf <-- still goin' w/ Roswell '47 ;)

Allow me...
http://www.militech.sownet.pl/bullpup/weapon/t68/t68.html

also, this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamestung/4714133267/
IIUC, that photo is from the Armed Forces Museum in Taipei - anybody planning a trip to Taiwan anytime soon?

On a completely different thought, maybe Steyr does know something about it, but we've been asking the wrong department - if this is, in fact, an unlicensed copy, the best place to ask may be the legal department...
Excellent rersearch and score on the pictures there sir, maybe the T68 is the designation of that rifle after all. Another intersting point- one copy of the rifle is in civilian hands, one is in a museum in poland, and yet another is in a museum in taiwan. That combined with the earlier Bing reference (I had the same issue as everyone else- the augish picture was no longer showing up) makes me wonder if both the AR rifle and the Aug-ish rifle had the same T68 designation.

I wonder if maybe the taiwanese knocked out a small batch of them as an experiment or for field testing but then decided to go the AR direction.

And more (Links to Google Translate):

Taiwanese page with another image
Only "useful" info is the description - "Country-made AUG"

Japanese page showing a normal AUG
But with very interesting text:
Taiwan Steyr AUG (Stg77) was a poor performance was due to produce a copy, was adopted as a formality to license production to the spear and then imported directly from Company 68 step formula ledge. Are mainly used in special forces.
Unfortunately, the translation is horribly messed up.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.