Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently became the owner of a NIB Steyr GB. I had no intention of buying the gun...it was more like one of those situations in grade school where you are picking teams and there is finally one kid left so you pick him.

We were bidding at auction to purchase guns out of a private collection and I had done all the buying I intended to do. At the last minute we decided to just clean up the last 50 guns or so between four of us...and I avoided the Steyr GB as long as I could. In the end i took it and a pair of HKs and called it quits.

I didn't like the look or feel of the gun...I'd never seen anything like it. Is there a story behind this model? I understand that there weren't a ton of them made and it's a high capacity 9mm but i don't know anything about their reputation.

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had one recently, sold it because it was a pain to clean off carbon deposits and spare parts are impossible to find.

It was great when it came out (1980's) for it's 18 rd magazines, but now - there are MUCH better options out there.

I bought one in 2009, sold it in 2010 - was accurate, but had stiff recoil for such a big gun. However, as all things go, I find myself missing it...

The heck with it - any interest in selling it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've actually got it posted in the classified section on this board right now. It's a neat gun but I don't want to take out of the box and fire it if I'm not in love with it. I figure it will bring someone else more joy than me. This collector had two of them...one he kept in the box unfired, and one he shot regularly. He did that with a bunch of stuff.

http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=193

·
Registered
13 Posts
They are somewhat unique in that they are a gas operated pistol rather than recoil operated (thus the carbon deposits on the outside of the barrel). I remember reading an article about them in, I think, GUNS magazine when I was a kid (mid-1980s), and always wanted one. I finally found a used one in 2002. Before the internet, they were essentially impossible to find. Anyway, I think there were just a few thousand of them made, and I believe the later ones had some QC issues. I'm sure other here know more about them than I do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first one we saw in this collection was the one that was used...and it definately had some buildup on the outside of the barrel. I hadn't seen anything like it before...and the coating on the gun is an anti-slip kind of deal like the Rhino liner in my truck bed. It's a tough looking gun for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Google is your friend.
Short version is this. Steyr came up with the design of a gas retarded delayed blow back pistol. Novak a US company got the rights to make it. They sucked, gun did not work. Legal battle for Steyr to get the right back. They did and made the gun in the early 80's. Military finish is parkerized and civilian is wrinkle black. And 18+1 rounds 9mm to a 5" Fixed barrel made it revolutionary for its time. Competed in the US trials for the 1911 replacement but Baretta won out. Then along comes Glock whom starts wining bids for police and European military. GB retired.
GREAT gun, runs strong and is all steel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts