What happened to the GB?

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Pier23, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Pier23

Pier23 New Member

Gentlefolk,

Back around 1981 or so I fell in love with the Steyr GB...a MAjOR purchase for a grad student. fixed chrome barrel, blowback design, super-accurate for me, massive mag capacity for the time, in the running to be the U.S military sidearm, then got politicked out by Italy and Beretta...then the GB dropped off the radar. What happened? Trying to find mags for the GB now is on par for finding Bigfoot. Nice pistol. Why did it disappear?

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Pier* :)

What happened to the GB?! Uhhh, it wasn't much for concealed carry! :lol:

I had one back in the early '80's...sh*t hot!...most accurate 9X19MM I ever shot!...18+1 capacity!...very reliable w/ NATO FMJ ammo!...But a fu*kin' hawgleg!

Where the Hell ya gonna stuff it an' hide it?!

Does the Beast have a followin'?! Hell Yeah!...an' if ya gotta lotta $, it's onna the most fun pistols ever made. :thumbsup:

Just make sure ya keep it ultra clean an' lubed. An' them gas ports are essential to the cleanin' process. PITA!

Take ur GB an' compare it "size-wise" to an' M Series, there's your answer, Bro.

Fun tho. ;)

Wulf <-- misses 'is ol' GB sometimes *sigh*

3. Pier23

Pier23 New Member

Well, I carried mine in a shoulder rig, feeling very Sonny Crockett...<gggg>

Yeah, it is a beast, but no worse than the Beretta 92.

And, yeah...never have figured out how to clean the underside of the barrel....removeable barrels DO have advantages...

4. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

What happened. Glock did. Due to price point and oversimple design and great marketing it won all the PD contracts.
    Did not help that the GB predecessor the Rogak was crap. Beretta won the US military contract.
    So a great pistol was lost to the ages....
    Glad I got mine.

5. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin New Member

Fuzzy dental floss works for both the barrel and the gas grooves. Wrap the floss around the barrel a couple of times and use your favorite solvent.

Matthew

6. Pier23

Pier23 New Member

I have not tried to track values for the GB...we are taking our yachts to the range now???

7. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I don't know after this latest deal, but when I found out I wanted one, they were starting around 1200 USD.

8. Tmelam

Tmelam New Member

Was just by Red's Indoor Range in Oak Hill, TX and noticed they had two Steyr GBs for sale on consignment for $600 a piece. The counter person mentioned something about the seller inheriting them and not wanting them. They look to be in good shape.

If anyone is interested- here's the website for contact info: http://www.redsguns.com/

9. Talyn

Talyn New Member

go buy them, now now now now now!

10. dcgray2

dcgray2 New Member

I actually just picked up a very nice, functional GB from GunBroker of all places for $660...

Only has one magazine but functions well. Not sure if I hit a summer lull or what.

Now extra magazines? Hens teeth! Can't find anything for anything resembling a sane price...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  11. CAR

CAR New Member

The GB was a good pistol, but time had passed it by and I believe it was also rather expensive to manufacture in the small quantities it was selling in.

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Very good price on the GB! If you can find magazines, at any price, you are doing quite well. For a commodity so rare, one can argue little about price.

13. ROBOCOP195

ROBOCOP195 New Member

I believe there had been 3 reasons for the GB production termination:
    1.) The bad reputation by the copy Rogak P-18.
    2.) Steyr wanted to gain to much money (increasing about 100 USD at once).
    3.) The hype about the "plastic guns".

Well the GB is not a small gun, but same size as the M-1911A1, the M-92 and the Glock-34.
    There had been some weak spots (the trigger and the hammer/spring unit), but on the other side the gun can handle a lot of different 9 mm Luger ammo, even the ultra hot SMG Ammo made by Hirtenberger for the Canadian Army Sterling SMGs without any problems.
    Sadly the German Compay who had planned a resurrection of a modernized GB had got financial problems, so no more new GBs in the near future.