what exactly causes the extractor to not extract?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by BTF/PTM, Aug 15, 2007.

1. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

this is a spin-off of our classic "gun fails to extract" issue that is usually solved by a good cleaning. Does anyone know specifically what changes in the function when it's gummed up that makes the extractor hook stop hooking?

2. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Crud build up would probably keep the extractor from fully seating in it's slot; meaning it would not get a good grab on the cartridge rim.

3. Dag

Dag Guest

Hi BTF/PTM

Debris building up behind the extractor hook is one possible source. Extractor spring problems (weak or broken spring) can contribute. I suspect some issues with the chamber could be part of the problem, if the chamber has burrs or tool marks that inhibit the fired cartridge from sliding out of the chamber. The extractor hook has to cleanly slip over the new round as it's stripped off the magazine, it has to firmly grip the fired case to pull it out of the chamber, and it has to release the case at exactly the right point, when the ejector strikes the case rim. It's a complex mechanical process that has to happen quickly and under great mechanical stress. Everything has to be just right, and it doesn't take much to muck it up. Firing several hundred rounds helps seat all the moving parts, including the extractor, and extraction problems will frequently go away with a few hundred rounds down range. Hope this helps.

Dag

4. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

it does help, thanks :) I used the Steyrclub how-to on cleaning the extractor, it wasn't overly dirty after about 200 rounds. I also noticed that the spring end thing doesn't look like the one in the manual that had a notch in it; mine is a rounded tip like a dome that pushes on the extractor. Not a big deal, just something I noticed. I'll see how it fires next time I shoot and report back.

5. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

One thing I found to work great for extractor problems - pop it out with a small screwdriver, and clean the extractor with solvent and wire brush. Also hit the cavity it sits in with q-tips and some Hoppes9 until it's clean. Clean the spring and the metal piece that pushes against the extractor and lightly lube them with RemOil or similar lubricant. Put just a hint of oil on the contact surface of the extractor that connects to the sping piece. Also, pay close attention when replacing it back into the slide - make sure that the slight beveled edge on the little round spring piece is aligned with the outside surface of the extractor , otherwise the pressure will be about half of what it's supposed to be. Hope this helps.

6. Dag

Dag Guest

Extractor style

Hi BTF/PTM

I've seen at least one other post talking about an extractor like yours. Apparently Steyr, at least for a short period of time, used the extractor you describe (with a dome shape), but has returned to the original style. My M40-A1 has the extractor that has two different bevels on the end (one small, one large). As I recall, the dome style was giving the owner fits, trying to get it out (I think bigtaco helped). Hope you don't have the same problems. Clean it, lube it, shoot it, come tell us about it. :) Thanks!

Dag