What do you'all recommend for cleaning?

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Guest, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

With the 'extra' cleaning recommended for the M9 from CDNN that's coming soon, which product do you recommend? Hoppes #9, Gunscrubber, Simple Green, Breakfree; all of the above; anything else? I want to give 'er a darn good cleaning w/o ruining the polymer.

Forgot to mention: I usually clean and lube my pistols with (varies) Breakfree, FP-10, EEzox, Militec 1 and some Nitro Solvent for the barrels.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I've had really good luck with BreakFree CLP and Miltec-1

3. Alabama

Alabama New Member

Ahhhhh .... Hoppes No. 9. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd wear it like cologne if I didn't think doing so would prohibit me from ever getting a smile from a girl again... And it works.
    Classic and the best.
    Everyone loves RemOil, too, though it comes in third behind Hoppes and actual gunsmoke...

4. FWF

FWF New Member

Cleaning/Lubrication products

I'm currently using the following four products:

Butch's Bore Shine: Bore cleaning and carbon removal. It works pretty well without being as harsh (to fingers and steel) as some other bore cleaners.

RemOil (aerosol): Light viscosity helps flush loose crud out and aids penetration into tight spaces. Teflon makes it a good lubricant.

RIG +P Stainless Lube: A grease which I use (sparingly) on load bearing surfaces such as locking lugs, cocking and extraction cams and sear surfaces. I also like to put a dab on the frame/slide rails. It does get sticky when cold so I don't use it as much in the winter but it does a great job on protecting sliding surfaces from each other.

Du-Lite Kwik Seal (aerosol): A finishing oil I wipe on the exterior for corrosion prevention. It tends to dry while leaving a film behind, which is good for rust prevention but less than optimal if you get it inside the action.

5. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

there really is no need for a finish oilt to protect from rusting, the metal is tennifered.

6. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

If you are worried about fouling the polymer, take the action out of the frame for cleaning.

It's so ridiculously easy to do, that I do it regularly for cleaning.

I use Break Free, as it's what I happened to buy. Might try something else when that runs out.

The only part of my pistols that ever need more than a light scrubbing is the feed ramp; I often need to use my brass barrel brush on it to get it mirror-shiny and clean. It occasionally gets spots of gunk that won't come off with light cleaning. No big thing.

No need to over-oil, either.