What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ChillyWilly, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Alright, this is the deal....I am 34, spent the first 10 year of adulthood (18+) marinading, the last 7 sobering up and gettin Jesus (for me, not you so relax) in my life. So here I am making ~50K a year with the prospect of leaving my super stressful position to take over my bosses job-he works 65+ hours/7days a week min, year round) starting in the ~80K range. Not interested, greatful but not interested.

I have a son, want a wife and more kids and like to have free time to spend doing family stuff. I am active in my church and I like to play golf, shoot and read. Can't do much of that with the above hours. So this is the deal, I am free of all debt and am planning to move. I can pretty much do anything, either go back to college, go to a trade school or take on a entry level position in something that requires starting at the bottom and working your way up.

I would like to own my own business (I know it requires mad hours as well) or at least have a job that pays very well with flexible hours. If I want to take a day off to see my kid play football thats what I want to do. If I am burned and feel like taking the day off that what I want to do.

So do you guys know of anything like I describe. Do you or one of your friends have a job like this? What do you do and is it a just for now type of thing or a forever kind of a job? Do you love it? What are your recommendations? If you could do it all over what would you do? Just throw stuff out there, I will look into everything ask questions whatever....I just need some ideas, stuff that I have never heard of or have not considered. Even if its stuff like what your boss does, so long as there is some freedom and a good living.

I have been blessed to be at a point in my life where I can do almost anything....meaning its only a matter of making a choice and then driving for the goal.....even if it takes me 10 or whatever years.

Thanks

Jerry

2. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Well, I've been an attorney for the past 19 years. Nine years ago I began sculpting with acrylic and that has taken off to the point that my work sells around the world and in some circles is rather well known (without saying more). Except for a few lucrative cases I've been able to leave law behind and am, for the most part, a full time artist. It's all sort of a dream come true. The hardest thing is to remember to say "artist" rather than "lawyer" when people ask me what I do. People are so much nicer when the answer is "artist".

Buzz

3. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Hey Chilly,

I work in the financial industry. Sounds like a banker, but more in the IT/Security side of it. I shoot a lot, but it keeps me out of the bars ( :) ). There are others who walk the same path. :)

Take Care,

MTS

4. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

what do you do now thats so stressful? What are you good at? I would find something you like doing and try to get something in that field.
    For me and sounds like you too, it's not about money its about quality of life.
    I gave up flying learjets for a charter company to manage and fly a plane for a real-estate devolpment company. Fly a lot less, home a lot more. Money is not what it could be in the major airlines but being on the road and sleeping in hotels 15 days a month, gets old quick and I want to have a life.

If you like golf I bet working in a golf shop or driving range would be pretty relaxing. I think it could be neat to work at a shooting range too. But there probably isn't money in either of these. good luck.

5. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

Been working in the IT industry for the last 10 years. Started with SBC DSL Tech Support (I have stories.... lots of stories) and now working for a small IT firm. Wanna find something in a bigger environment.... But hey, it pays the bills and allows me to get my M357-A1 :) .

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Worked for 25+ years in newspapers, writer, photographer, editor. Loved it, but wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Pay is terrible and so are working conditions. In my case, I've been a Christian for 30+ years and Jimmy Carter turned me into a conservative and Ronald Reagan confirmed it, so I've been like a turd in a punchbowl in every newsroom I've worked. But I fell in love with photojournalism while at University of Missouri, so I don't regret a minute of that career. Do something you love, even if it's got drawbacks out the wazoo. The benefits of working at something you enjoy doing outweigh all the negatives.

I've also worked off and on (mostly off) since 1997 as a web designer, full- and part-time, pay's great when you can find the work and the conditions are usually great too. But since the 'Net bubble busted in 2000, hard to find work.

Also worked as a community college teacher in web design, Photoshop, et c. Loved that, too. I've been truly blessed in being able to work at different fields I've enjoyed. For the past two years, as Monty Python says, I've done something entirely different, technical writer and photographer for an industry, creating assembly manuals. Didn't really think I'd like the job but it beat being unemployed so I tried it. Like that, too, though not as much as the three previous fields of endeavor. But I enjoy going to work every day. Can't imagine not enjoying my work.

Best work I ever did? Hands down, writing a novel in between jobs in the mid-90s. Self-published and haven't sold enough copies to finance a good drunk, if I should want to pull one, but I enjoyed writing that book more than anything I ever did. You can read it online for free. Or even buy one!
    The Crossland Shootout: Adventures of a Photojournalist :mrgreen:

8. samue23

samue23 Member

Been in the Defense Industry for 22yrs, current title "Technical Services Engineering Analsyt III".

9. soapyballs

soapyballs Member

Have been an Electrician for 30 years.

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

nothing like being self-employed.

the hours are whatever you feel like. i've been self-employed for years and love it.

being in a similar situation of looking for a broader future, i find myself in the process of buying a business. the previous owner had the "no one does it as well as me" attitude and worked 70 hour stress packed weeks.

i have every intention of hiring people who are able to think through problems and am prepared to pay the necessary money to retain them as well as tolerate slight differences of opinion as to how certain situations should be handled.

assuming you can leave a business unattended at all, it is very thrilling to think that there are people working hard to make you money.

plus, as with other investments, assuming nothing drastic happens... you can sell your "job" for more than you paid for it.

pretty good avenue to pursue if an opportunity presents itself. but i might feel differently after a year of the stress packed weeks and a few major catastrophies. hahaha

good luck. always remember that kids have a much better grasp of time spent than of money earned. but it seems as though you're well aware of that.

11. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Space Shuttle Door Gunner

12. mrboma

mrboma Member

interweb design, development and marketing.

13. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome......

14. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Buzz...glad to hear you are living your dream...I'm trying to get there

Midtn...I have been thinking about IT/security not banking levels but mid to large business levels...

Pbj...I don't know what I do...my title is Assitant Operations Director...my function well to put it simply I bring in and ship out product...the company I work for manufactures and imports leather gift items, jewelry boxes & watch rotators, which I oversee with my boss, making sure we have enough but not too much and then make sure what we have goes out as it should on time and compliant. Thats on top of the 20+ "Jerry how can we's" I get each day. As for the golf thing if I get good enough I'll play for money but other then that not a viable career choice...although I would like to own a course one day...

fn...yeah...sorry man...I am not one of those RTFM customers but I am demanding and have no patience for "did you check the power cord sir"...so again sorry

sd...financial economist...that sounds freakin cool...I have though about this one but for the purpose of investments/speculation...

Net...not a journalist...thats worse than a lawyer... :wink: actually a few people have suggested I try writing, I have thought about scripts and comics but I start to hear "be realistic", "get your head out of the clouds kid"....I have thought about the webdesign too as the "realistic" part of the writing...any suggestions to help me see that this is or is not what I really want???

Sam...thanks for helping keep the USA the greatest, not perfect but the greatest...

SB...can't do it, I don't even like getting shocked by a 9v on the tounge

BT...I would be very, very interested in talking to you about this as you have time...I have come to a point in my life that this gives me the most hope...I wish I could actually learn the "starting a viable business abc's" (doesn't currently exist but...) so that I could bring together my knowledge (that I don't currently have), investors money and other peoples dreams to help others realize their dreams, improve my country and make a dime to boot.

Thanks and I agree 100% on your kid comment...for me life is God first, kids and family second & the rest. No matter how much of the third I have, if I (not you guys, me) don't have #1 & #2 I don't have jack...

MrB...what is that...can you elaborate?

15. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I had a long career as a writer, photographer and editor before I got into web design by going back to school in 1996 for a two-year part-time study that started with a certificate and worked toward an associate degree. About the only way to see if that's what you want is to give it a try. It was tough teaching this old dog new tricks, but fun.

As for a career in writing, I read somewhere that there are tens of thousands of published authors in the U.S. alone so it's tough to get a publisher to even look at a manuscript from an unpublished author. I tried for two years before self-publishing my novel. Louis L'Amour, just to name one, was over 50 before he got his first novel published and he'd been writing professionally for decades as a short-story author. Stephen King dang near starved to death. John Grisham self-published his first novel, A Time To Kill, and got tired of looking at a garage full and hauled them to the dump. If you could find one of those rare first editions, it would be worth a mint today. Tough field to get started in.

16. WorldPax

WorldPax Guest

Regional over-the-road Truck Driver.

17. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hmmm...

...notta lawyer, notta politician, notta IRS agent, notta child molester, notta anything illegal, immoral or unethical, but pretty much ever'thin' else includin' residential construction and a little local event security staffin', from time to time. <shrug>

Wulf <-- never married w/ no kids, but practices a lot ;)

18. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

What do like most/least about the web designs???

The writing thing would be a "you never know" kind of endeavor...I would not bank on it, just do it for fun...thats what I meant by the Web design would be the ammo earner...

World...where is that siggy from? If siggy were jobs you'd have the best one ever....but seeing what you do I hope the hemmies are not actin up.... :wink:

19. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Best thing about web design is creating a new site from scratch, a work of pure creativity. Second best is taking a sad sack of a site and redesigning it.

Worst thing is just finding work. There are so many WYSIWYG web editor programs out there that most companies just buy a copy of Front Page or Dreamweaver and tell some secretary (pardon me, administrative assistant) to design them a website. That's why so many company sites are so bad.

So web designers like me, who hand-code HTML/Javascript and create our own Photoshop graphics, are not in high demand. I love the work, but haven't been able to do it full-time since the 2000 great Internet bubble bust.

As for job/career advice, the best suggestion I could make is: follow your heart. If you don't love it, don't do it. Find something you love and do it with all your heart. Be the best. "Excellence in all endeavors" is my goal.

20. mrboma

mrboma Member

Web design, development and marketing.

I would have to agree with John for the most part. Creative side is a kick, but the clients and thier BS can kill you at times. I started out doing graphic design for Real Estate professionals here in Santa Cruz. The pay was not what I was looking for and turned to the web for a more lucrative career. Few sites later for said realtors and I was off on my own. Finding clients (work) for me has never been a problem. Word of mouth here is worth more than gold and I have been very lucky to work with some heavy hitters both here and silcon valley. Work has been steady (at times WAY TOO MUCH) and I am very gratefull. I have never advertised and as much as I am in marketing also, I hope to never have to spend my income this way. I put on a fishing tournement a few years back and it was a great suscess. I did manage to grab a few clients from the tourney, but in the long run they turned out to be "not the kind of clients I wanted". The key is to find the right people to work with (as is true in all lifes episodes).

As John said, there are so many tools out on the net today that allow people to build thier own sites it can be tough to explain to someone why the site they want will run a few thousand dollars. Where I live it's also a "throw a rock and hit a web designer town" so the same applies.

All this being said, I think there is good money still to be made on the internet (interweb for the noobz). There are sooooo many different niches that need filling, it's just a matter of what you know, what you can offer and how you treat your clients. I personally think anyone with the right attitude and determination could make a living slapping keys and pushin the old mouse around.

Good luck in your endevors and I hope some of my rambling helps.

Mike