Steyr Club Forums banner

What automobiles do Steyr owners prefer?

• American

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • English

• German

• Italian

• Korean

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
G

·
on my second Prelude.

If anything happens to it (SH models are getting hard to find) it would b a Nissan Skyline or a Subaru Impreza WRX.

Lotto winning car would be a NSX.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
The new Vee Dub GTI Mark V is one cool auto! 8)

Vee Dub has gone back to their roots on this machine. :)

The 2005 GLI Jetta is also one awesome machine! 8)

just my two cent's worth... :lol:

motorcycles? BMW R 60/6

BMW R1150R

Yamaha !!00 V star

·
Registered
94 Posts
'98 Dodge Stratus V6 with Autostick
'03 F-250 V10 4WD
'79 HD Sporty S&S Stroker
Waiting in the wings for better finances
'49 Suburban
'41 Indian Chief

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with the auto-xer (I used to). I own a Jag S-Type now but just got rid of a Civic Si a few months ago. Sure, it had a paltry hp, but I could destroy most cars on the switch backs (thank you coilovers and LCAs!). However, for refinement I'll take german or italian engineering everyday. And to say that one car is a "American" and one is "Japanese" is misleading. In today's global economy you have parts from all over the world. Your 06 Mustang has engine components assembled in Mexico with parts from Japan. Your 05 Civic Si was put together in England with parts from Korea. Your 06 Titan was built in the US with parts from China.

As far as Skylines go..I owned 2. Sure, I was stationed in Okinawa and didn't bring them to the US, but it feels good to say I had 2 R32s (GTS-T and GTS...no GT-R :( )

·
Registered
111 Posts
ministerofdeath said:
HUGE BMW motorcycle convention near where my grandmother lives every year I keep meaning to check it out sometime.
Current Bike: Triumph Sprint ST

Lotto Winning Dream Bike: BMW K1200 S

=P~ =P~ =P~

·
Registered
92 Posts
Grew up with the Germans. My dad has his pampered 1959 Porsche 356, my mom, a 1973 VW Van, and me, a 1971 VW Super Beetle. The Porsche was okay, but though both VW’s were bought new, they (sad to say) proved to be junk. My beetle had constant brake problems, and finally gave up the ghost when it sprung a massive oil leak around 87,000 miles, frying the engine. My mom’s van had a perpetually dying engine that three different VW dealers couldn’t seem able to fix. She was more than happy to unload it for a Chevy Monza in 1976 (which, I have to admit, was not much of an improvement over her troublesome VW). Very disappointing, since VW had such a reputation for quality at that time.

So, no more Germans for us.

But, that was circa 1970. Right now, I own two Americans (a 1995 GMC Sierra, and a 1997 Ford Explorer). The Indiana-built GMC was bought new and has been amazingly reliable (200,000+ miles, with no major problems - the kind of reliability the Germans were *supposed* to deliver, right?) though my Ford (inherited from my hard-driving sister) hasn’t exactly been quite so stellar. Also, I’ve got a used 1991 Mitsubishi Montero, which I bought a year ago for local snow duty and a bit of off-roading. It looks a little junky, but aside from a minor radiator leak, it’s been okay so far.

Oh yeah, I also own a delightfully quick Honda “Magna” motorcycle.

But, I went crazy and voted Italian. Never owned one (though I lusted over my art teacher’s bright orange Alfa Romeo when I was a high-school kid) and I hear they do tend to be troublesome machines. But man, does anybody style cars quite like the Italians?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ahhh....Tough Call. German Overall.
Even my English one is technically German after Audi took over.

The briefcase is German and yes it does have a trigger. 8-O
If you know, you know...if you don't- well, you know what they say.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Matches said:
Gotta like the Germans what it comes to anything mechanical. I great Firearm in my Steyr and wish I could afford a German car.

Matches

They actually end up costing less than American cars.
Depreciation is on average, less. That is why the lease rates are affordable. They last a lot longer provided you maintain them properly. They are safer, built considerably better and represent a much better value. Get Certified Pre-Owned Cars so the initial buyer takes the large depreciation hit. Money Magazine calculates residuals/depreciation presents in one issue every year. Look for that issue. Life is short. It is also too uncertain to drive something unsafe, regularly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
FlaChef said:
on my second Prelude.

If anything happens to it (SH models are getting hard to find) it would b a Nissan Skyline or a Subaru Impreza WRX.

Lotto winning car would be a NSX.

My partner had an NSX. This was circa-1994 or so. The UK/English publication, Car Classic, reviewed that motor car recently. 1990's examples in excellent condition can be had for roughly $30,000K USD if you were to converthe GBP to USD. I remember driving it and got the sense that it was fantastically engineered, light, nimble, agile, comfortable, though lacking power. It was technologically a tour d' force and made up for passion through the technology. Interesting vehicle.

G

·
Hi!

I would like to drive and to own any american muscle car like the Dodge Charger or a Shelby Cobra, but here in Austria the are to expensive, even gasoline and insurance is expensive. So I drive my 10 year old Opel Astra and spend all my money in guns and rifles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good choice cowroper! Anything with tits or tires is going to be trouble, guns are a much better waste of money!

I drive a Volvo sedan and these things are TANKS, if Batman had kids he'd drive a Volvo. But my preference and heart are with Ford. F-series trucks are the BEST! The Mustang GT, even in its bad years just awesome! And now the new GT40 supercar this thing is unreal. I will say that Germans are a brilliant people, their cars are 110% performers. I have driven many exotic cars and I have to say that Audi makes the finest sedan\sport car I've ever had the chance to drive. But overall I'm with cowroper, I will drive inexpensive cars and have one very nice arsenal.

G

·
money no object? it would have to be a steyr penzgauer. second choice, anything that will get me there and back.
as for cowroper, just remember that 10 yr old opel astra is to expensive here in the u.s.a..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drive a Dodge Dakota 4x4 when the weather is cool. The wife drives a Mazda 3 and when the weather is nice I ride a SV1000S Suzuki V-twin.

G

·
I am partial to German cars. I have owned an old Porsche 911 of some sort or another for the last ten years. I really want to find a early 90’s Euro BMW M5 soon. Oh….and Baja Bugs rule! 8)

G

·
From now on I'm pretty sure I'll stick with Toyota vehicles, though I like Fords and they've done well by me (my '00 Focus is still running strong at 160k+ with same clutch and engine).

21 - 40 of 53 Posts