What automobiles do Steyr owners prefer?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by theFiasco, Mar 11, 2006.

What automobiles do Steyr owners prefer?

1. American

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. English

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. German

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Italian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Japanese

100.0%
  6. Korean

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. theFiasco

theFiasco New Member

Just curious.

-tF

2. lycanthrope

lycanthrope New Member

You can't make 500 hp for $1500 in any Euro engine.

God bless the small bock Chevy.

3. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

I love American automobiles and grew-up around UAW folks that wouldn't allow a foreign car to be parked in their drive-way. However, I have always liked the performance and safety features that are always first available in the European cars. I was just watching the show "Dateline" not to long ago when they did a safety evaluation of all 2006 cars and the BMW 3-series was rated one of the best cars for safety. There are few American cars that I like, but I have to say I like every car the Germans make.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Time has change, hasn't it.

most folks seems to forget, many Toyota products are built in the states, so does BMW's X5 and Z4 series are built in Spartansburg, NC, Nissan builts its, I think Maximas somewhere in the states as well. So tell them, you are "Buying American" and supporting U.S. economy.

5. steyrile

steyrile Member

I think Spartansburg is actually in SC, no? I drive a '90 325i cabrio for fun. '89 Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel for climbing hills and '95 Buick Park Ave for ferrying the aged parents around. '96 is the first year for mandatory smog inspections here so we'll stick with the oldies as long as possible. Used to drive used RENAULTS when we could get them in the states. The '83 Fuego Turbo still ranks as my all time favorite ('88 BMW 535is a distant second) and I've probably owned 25 cars over the years. Even had a Citroen ID-19 wagon for awhile... 8-O

6. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Hmm ... (looks at handle) ... what do you think? :twisted:

7. remat457

remat457 New Member

U.S.-made only...(Jeep and Ford).

God bless the 302 :)

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Jeep. No other four wheel drive has the history to match.

9. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

3 Fords: pickup for the farm, van for the wife, Explorer to get me into the mountains.

10. Matches

Matches New Member

Gotta like the Germans what it comes to anything mechanical. I great Firearm in my Steyr and wish I could afford a German car.

Matches

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Tough question:
    the hunt truck is a Chevy '97 K2500; the house car (my wife's) is an '04 VW Jetta 1.8T wagon; the soccer-mom- (that's me, as carpool dad--2 teenagers in the house) -mobile is an '06 Honda Odyssey.

The Steyrs (M40 and SBS Forester in 300WinMag) enjoy the VW for reasons of history and engineering, but love the Chevy truck, because it means we're going hunting, rifle in hand, M40 on hip . . .

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, SC indeed...

13. Subcanis

Subcanis New Member

Woopty do. Going fast in a straight line is ok for some...

Fast through the twisties is where its at.

I ahve a 90 Jetta GLI on Dellorto 45 sidedrafts, 283/279 catcams, etc...
    I OWN auto-x.

Been VW freak for as long as I can remember.

14. Subcanis

Subcanis New Member

Youve got to be kidding, right?

15. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint New Member

Where's the (more then one of the above) choice?

For the cagers, I think whatever fits the bill is right... I've had just about every conceivable make of truck out there and my all time favorite was my 2000 Dakota. 5.9 L v8 mmmmmmm... I guess it's what you depend on doing with the vehicle. I just got rid of my Nissan Frontier and picked up a Jeep wrangler for those wintery days and playing in the mountains. I didn't like the fact that the Park Ranger laughed at the thought of me going the same places my friends (Tacoma, Dakota, Landcruiser, and Wrangler) were going.

As for American vs. Foreign auto quality... What is American anymore? Just because my Dakota was "assembled" in the US, does that make it American? Most vehicles are global products anymore, parts are manufactured out of country, crated in, and then assembled.

NOW, my daily driver is a Triumph Sprint ST! As for two-wheels, I would NEVER buy "American" aka Harley or Harley knock off custom chopper p.o.s.. The Japanese and Europeans have the US beat hands down when it comes to motorcycles. I've never owned a Honda or the like that pooled oil like a nervous chihuahua, or broke down on the side of the road during a ride. I wouldn't hesitate to jump on my dads VTX and drive across the country, but I cringe at the thought of my parent's friends driving more then 100 miles on their road king. I've never heard the term "wrench to ride" muttered from a BMW owner's mouth, and I've had 0 problems with my Triumph.

On a related note, I just got done watching the documentary "Long Way Around" where Ewin McGregor and a friend drive two B'mers from London to New York in like 120 days. Simply amazing machines! Do you think they could have made it on a Beull Ulyssis? I think not.

16. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i've bought one vehicle in my entire life. a toyota tacoma 4x4. 160,000 miles later i've replaced gas, oil, tires, brake pads, and two tie rod ends. seriously. original clutch, u-joint, wheel bearings, axel shafts, rotors...

i did replace the suspension because the stock stuff just wasn't up to hard landings.

this truck has been amazing. i've never been stuck even with open diff's front and rear. i get it airborne on a weekly basis and it only wants an occassional tie rod end and an alignment.

the paint looks nearly good as new.

i can keep up with most of the civic tuner cars off the line, and being a little crazy can usually show them the tailgate through the bends.

i'm planning on a major rebuild at 200,000. long travel suspension, dana 60, wide body fenders, 36" ground hawgs!! hopefully supercharged 4.0 v6. (gotta find someone good with schematics for the re-wire.) and i have no doubt that this thing will tick unaltered and un-broken down til then.

put me down for toyota!!

ps... everything but the motor and tranny were built in california. all the comsumables (air filters and such) are all made in the usa. and for the machinist types who bemoan that toyota builds all the skilled labor parts overseas, toyota built a plant in alabama that makes the tundra v-8.

plan on more american cars being made in mexico. american companies have built cars in canada because of the favorable exchange rate. but the canadian exchange rate is hovering around it's historical lows. meaning there isn't as much advantage to canadian labor as there has been in years past.

i'm taking kawasaki for motorcycles. but i have to admit, that new yamaha r6 is pretty sweet. hopefully kawi will answer next year.

17. ScottW

ScottW New Member

Since I could only pick one, I went Jap, but I like German cars too.

My DD is a 1985 Toyota 4Runner that's been in my family since it was bought new in late 1984. That was the only model year with solid front axle and EFI. It doesn't make much power out of the 4-banger, but I eventually get from A to B and it keeps me from getting speeding tickets. It doesn't suck off road in stock form, but when it retires from DD duty in the next year or two it will be modded for a little more capability. I'm thinking about a 5" lift, 35s and a locker or two. Have fun with that SAS bigtaco, sounds like a nice little project.

18. samue23

samue23 Member

What happened to the Swedes? ('8-O')

Volvo & SAAB. (':roll:')

I drive a 93 Volvo 240 sedan, the wife drives a 91 740 wagon. (':)')

Bullet proof Bricks.(':D')

As far as VW's go (speaking from experience) they suck!

I had an 86 Jetta GLI (bought in 87) and a 90 corrado G60. The jetta started going down in the third year of ownership (2 year waaranty back then). The Corrado went south after the third recall ( Heater core issue, dealer had it for three weeks! it never ran right again).

The new VW's look like bloated Toyota's and don't last as long.

19. Just_watching

Just_watching New Member

What about Steyr Cars :?:

Steyr Pinzgauer

[​IMG]

20. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

THAT THING IS SWEET!!!!!!

I'LL TAKE TWO!!

CAN I GET IT IN BRIGHT ORANGE?