What are the legal ramifications of converting a rifle into a pistol?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Narsil, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

I know the majority of you guys aren't lawyers so I know all I'm getting is your opinion. I've researched it briefly and can't find an answer.

I know converting a pistol to a rifle or SBR is a legal PITA but what's the scoop on taking a woden-stocked milsurp rifle, cutting the barrel down to an SBR length and cutting the stock off to a pistol grip?

2. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

refer to federal laws, some conversions are either illegal or need a class 3 license

3. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

i'm fairly certain you have to FORM 1 the firearm before you can shorten the barrel.... even without the stock in place, it's still considered a rifle, so taking the barrel down below the 16" mark makes it an SBR...

4. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

So turning a Mosin Nagant into an Obrez pistol is technically an SBR?

5. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

to my understanding, YES. the way the regulations for SBR's are written, it only matters what length the barrel is..... not the stock length or whether is has a stock @ all. of course, you could contact the creator of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNFsUvh078I by sending him a PM through youtube. his many comments and description of the one he created - and registered.... are consistent with that of an SBR...

see also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zn2MIgGbNE

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
    Narsil likes this.
  6. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

7. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

Well, shucks...It seems a pity to pay over twice what the conversion costs, including the donor rifle just for the stupid tax stamp. :cuss:

8. darksidemxer

darksidemxer New Member

form 1's are suppossed to be cheaper. i talked to the guy that owns serbu super shorties and he said its not that expensive...did u know he lives in the bay area? maybe he can help or this company here has helped when i had nfa questions. 727 481 7154

9. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

I knew Serbu was located in Tampa but didn't consider contacting them. I'll do that after the holidays; thanks, Ed!

The Serbu Super Shorty is designated as an AOW and requires only a $5 tax stamp, BTW.

10. darksidemxer

darksidemxer New Member

right because its a shotgun with the stock removed and a shortened barrel. isnt that what u are doing? the shotgun was once rifle length also.....a sbr would be a rifle *with a shoulder stock for stability etc* and shortened barrel so it should be a aow.....atleast thats how this nagant pistol cannon thing was explained to me by spikes tactical.

11. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

incorrect, they are classified as AOW because they came from the factory with a PISTOL GRIP in place.... they have never had a shoulder stock installed on them. otherwise it would be a short-barreled shotgun...

as stated on the product page of the serbu website:
    "The SUPER-SHORTY is based on a Mossberg Maverick (also available on Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 at additional cost) 12-gauge shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip. Because of this, the SUPER-SHORTY is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon)"

12. darksidemxer

darksidemxer New Member

guess jj at spikes needs to read up lol good sales guy bad info man.

13. khoff

khoff New Member

i believe once they leave the factory floor as a rifle they are allways from then on considered a rifle. it MUST then be registered-nfa tax stamp- as a short barreled rifle if you want to cut the barrel less than 16 in. 200 dollar 3 to 6 month wait tax stamp and registration.