Well, well, Frankensteyr (learn something new everyday)

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by EarlyBronco, Mar 30, 2013.

1. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

I've never really concerned myself with my M9-A1's history or rather background, I just assumed it was a Steyr like MANY others and that all the #'s matched up (frame, slide and barrel)
    Well, scrolling thru some old posts I find a reference to "FrankenSteyr" after some research I've learned my M9-A1 is in fact, a "grey market" or "FrankenSteyr" would someone mind confirming my findings? Thanks
    Here's the pics
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364689799.697874.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364689825.697024.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364689849.663605.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364689867.054972.jpg

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya E*B* :)

Yep...M9 upper onna M*-A1 gripframe from PW Arms. Ya just need the latest extractor kit an' ur good ta go! :thumbsup:

Enjoy.

Wulf <-- goin' back ta "Jaws" :popcorn:

3. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

Thanks again Wulf! You're always looking out for us!
    But why would I need the new extractor? She eats everything I put in the mags and always spits out the brass.

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya E*B* :)

The latest extractor ejects the spent rounds outta ur shootin' glasses. If ya never had this happen, then great! Ya may not need it. <shrug>

I just put a new Viridian C5L onna new M9-A1 and noticed the nice regimented spent rounds pile at 3:00 and about 5 feet away when doin' the sight-in and break-in. Very impressive compared to my ol' M357-A1 which is more scattered, 3:00 to 4:30-ish an' 3 - 8 feet away. The first extractor kit that came with the 1st gen M*-A1's had problems ejectin' right back on my head or behind my shootin' glasses. A real PITA!

FYI.

Take care, Bro. :)

Wulf <-- "here's ta swimmin' w/ bowlegged women" :popcorn:

5. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

My brass seems to be hitting the 3-5 mark but I HAVE noticed an occasional (maybe once outta 3-4 mags (?)) shell kickin out behind me, so I may give Steyr a call and see about a kit-just in case.
    Thanks again Wulf

6. Riogrande481

Riogrande481 New Member

Welcome to the Frankensteyr club! I bought one and through the combination of a new extractor, a new trigger bar, Big Taco parts and a lot of polishing with micron sandpaper I turned a sow's ear into a silk purse. It is a great pistol now.

7. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

I like my safety and don't need a rail on my M40 and S40 both. Is there any advantage to getting a A1 upper assembly put on my lowers?

How can I tell if I have the old extractors? (I probably do, they are both OEM and several years old.)

If I should get the newer ones, how hard to replace?

Thanks!
    Paul

8. pepitomenegazzo

pepitomenegazzo New Member

Well I'll be damned....I think I'm on the same club here.... I always assumed I had an M9A1....but my slide only says M9... I thought that's just the way it is......but if some slides say M9A1....then I have a FrankenSteyr!!!!!

Is that so?

Greetings from Guatemala!

9. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

I have one also.

It has been flawless.
    The ejection is getting better in term of direction.
    So far no FTE with the old extractor and 1911 sping mod.

Passed the TX CHL course using it.

10. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

it should say on the slide;
    PW Arms Redmond WA
    Post up a pic, is yours an M9 or A1?

11. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

Hey Paul, you might have to wait for an answer from someone more knowledgable than myself about the differences between the M and A1 slides.
    But on an M frame I don't know that you'd see any major improvements (?)

Are you currently having any FTE?

12. pepitomenegazzo

It's the best I can do this late, but you can appreciate the frame and it just says Steyr M9 on the slide

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

I'm having some kind of trouble with the new .40 threaded barrel, but I think it might be the feed ramp. Planning to polish it and see if that doesn't fix it.

When I shoot with that barrel specifically, the expended round brass doesn't get pulled out in time before the next round is trying to get shoved in there. I think that's FTE, correct?

Either the extractor isn't getting very good purchase on the lip of the brass, or the chamber is just a little too tight. Not sure if I want to experiment with opening it up though! LOL!
    My calipers show that both diameters are the same size chamber openings though. :shrug:

Not sure where else to turn at this point. :(

14. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Been there, done that. In my case, I put a more viscous lube on the slide rails. If they are too slick, the slide can move forward before the case gets rotated out of the ejection port. I was running moly on my rails and one out of two shots would wind up that way. Viscous lube on the rails and the problem went away. Stove piping is different, there the weapon doesn't have a solid recoil partner, so the slide doesn't open all the way and traps the rear of the case on its way out.

15. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

Hey Pepi., are you outside the states?

16. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

He is from Guatemala.

So, it will not have the PW Arms engraved unless the gun get there by way of US.

17. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

Thanks JMJ that was my thought as well.

18. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hola pepito* :)

Do me a favor, try to get a good close-up pic of the importer on the gripframe.

Or, what's it say in that doctored lookin' space in this pic?...Or, is there is a reason to mask that info when posting pics in Guaty?

[​IMG]

¿Qué pasa con eso...tengo mucha curiosidad.

Plz PM me with the details.

Luego. :)

Wulf <-- kinda expected a manual safety more often than not for importers outside the USA :popcorn:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  19. pepitomenegazzo

Yup, I'm from Guatemala. We are neighbors with Mexico.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/camerica/gt.htm

By the way, if any of you comes to Guatemala and wants to shoot IDPA we do it on the last sunday of every month (its a registered club).

Greetings.

20. pepitomenegazzo

Here I have some better pics. Sorry about my short expressions I just had shoulder surgery so only 1 available hand to type. I hit the range today to practice one handed manipulation with an injury, it's more difficult than when training just for the sake of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, is it a FrankenSteyr??

Thanks,

Greetings.