well, the wait is over...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by smores, Apr 27, 2007.

1. smores

smores Guest

I am now an official member of the Steyr Club..............

I am staring at my shiny (well, dull) new M40-A1 right now, sitting in the case next to me. Pics to follow :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Range Report possible by Sunday. :D :D :D :D

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

oh goody. now maybe we can get a new "hammer-free" avatar. 8)

you'll love it!! enjoy. we want to see some blown up watermelon shots!!! you know... R. Lee ermy style.

3. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

SWEEEEETTTTTT! Congrats man, many happy rounds to you :D

4. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Cold_Fluorescence!

Can You say Range Report, I bet You can. 8)

Congrats & enjoy! :D
    _______
    mugdava

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Good deal, Cold* :)

Be safe and enjoy. :p

Wulf

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats. Waiting and hoping for a trouble-free range report.

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Congrats, CF.

Friends help friends buy Steyr pistols, especially when they live in the People's Republic of Maryland.

I got a sister-in-law who lives up near Pimlico Race Track in Ballamore. When we visit, I take along a pistol, but in deep, deep hiding. Only the Shadow knows!

Many happy trips to the range await thee! :mrgreen:

8. SELFDEFENSE

Took my daughter and a friend last night to Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD to see My Chemical Romance. Whenever I go to the Republik of Maryland I am always ticked that I have to go naked (especially to a rock concert).

9. smores

smores Guest

I'm not a huge fan of My Chemical Romance, but the band who tured with them, Muse, is one of my all-time favorites. Don't worry, I went to a club last night in DC... at least it was in China Town near the Verizon Center so it wasn't as bad as going to the 9:30 club...

However, I'm sitting here pondering whether or not I should go to the range with my new M40-A1, as it didn't come with a cleaning kit, and I don't have a .40 brush. I just ran to the local Dick's, and of course they didn't have any 9x18mm ammo (for the CZ-82 I just got) and no .40 cal bore brushes. Not even a boresnake! They had a .40 cal bore MOP... but no brushes wtf.....

F it I should just go anyway.....

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Walmart should have, at the very least, a universal cleaning kit with all the different bruses and jags, etc...

11. SELFDEFENSE

"F it I should just go anyway....."
    -----------------------------------------------
    Absotively, posolutely!
    When in doubt, always go to the range.

12. smores

smores Guest

My Wal-Mart doesn't even sell paintballs anymore, much less any type of accessories or ammunition for actual firearms... :shock:

I decided to wait until Wednesday, since I'm tired as crap right now (4 hours of sleep last night, then range officer course this morning). I'm taking my gf to the range for her first time, gonna take the CZ outfitted with the Kadet .22 kit. Besides, now that I'm a RO I can go to the range any time I damn well please pretty much (8 am to 8 pm every day) and it's only 3 miles down the road.

I'm still adjusting to the grip angle and trigger of the Steyr, but so far I like it a lot :) I'm really glad I got it :twisted:

13. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

good call... being an RO. it's a great way to do lots of shooting and hang out with people who know lots about shooting. you'll learn a bunch being around the range. have fun!!

as far as the brush... go ahead and blast away. if you don't get the barrel brushed out right away, it will be fine. just hose everything down with lube and wipe all the lube up.

hope your girl has fun. if you can find the ammo, that makarov round isn't too much of a handfull. if she's feeling comfy with the .22, a makarov is a good next step up in caliber.

14. QPluralisT

QPluralisT Guest

I hate to be the gun-Nazi, and to take this off topic, but a CZ-82 is not a makarov it just shoots the 9x18 round. Refer to http://www.makarov.com for a full explanation. :D (I feel like such a pain in the rear, just informing)

Congrats on the Steyr Cold, I guess that makes me the sole CZ owning Steyr-starer :). Hopefully a 357 version of the S or the M will make it here soon.

15. smores

smores Guest

Ok, these pics aren't the best but I took them in haste, with horrible lighting, but I just have to get some pics up. I'm working on crafting an avatar, but I ordered a Streamlight TLR-2 so I think I'll get creative once it arrives ;)

[​IMG]

Such a nice case... love the foam cutouts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Nice pics, *Cold :)

A brave new world awaits ya. 8) Go get 'em, Tiger! :twisted:

Wulf

17. smores

smores Guest

Wednesday morning is range day.... range report will be posted promptly afterwards. Based on the quality of this gun I don't forsee any problems.

My gf can actually cock the slide easier than on my CZ's, and she's excited about trying it :)

18. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

QPT, I know another club member was looking for a M357-A1 just a while back and finally found one. They're scarce right now, but I suspect there's still a few out there lurking in a few forgotten gun stores somewhere.

When I bought mine in December it took me about a week of googling every night and and all weekend until I finally stumbled across a site that claimed to have one and the followup call confirmed it was really there.

I could be wrong, but if you search from coast to coast, you might just find one.

See this thread earlier about club members looking for M357-A1's: https://steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3221

Good luck and happy hunting! :mrgreen:

19. smores

smores Guest

Range Report!!!

:twisted:

I like this gun. A lot. The recoil wasn't bad, but it was moving me back a little. I was firing pretty rapidly the whole time, usually not even a second between each shot, 50 rounds at a time. No issues with WWB 180 gr. FMJ, American Eagle 180 gr. FMJ, or Triton Quik-Shock Hi-Vel JHP's. I only had ONE failure, and it was with CCI Blazer Brass where the case got caught laterally (same orientation as in the magazine) between the slide and barrel, but I think I limp-wristed it. Ejection was extremely positive, and actually dented a fair amount of the casings I swept up after I was done. I noticed the shells eject pretty much straight up, and a little to the rear. I had a few hot casings land on my shoulders, but they were bouncing off a beam overhead, or bouncing off the roof and landing on the beam.

The Tritons were hot! But I was able to get better accuracy with them. I also zeroed in the laser on my TLR-2, and it helped me reduce my groupings by about 50% or so doing pretty fast rapid fire strings. I noticed the sights work a little differently than my CZ, where the front sight has to cover the target. A lot of my shots seemed to be off to the left, not sure if I was anticipating recoil or if it was the sights.

After all was said and done, almost 200 rounds were fired and I was pleased with every one.

Next time I'll take it slower, but so far I love this thing! It's a beast! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Pics with the TLR-2 to follow....

20. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I and at least one other poster mentioned that they shoot slightly left. I notice that when I point the gun it is naturally pointing slightly left and I have to correct.