Well, it's official

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Xahrrn, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Xahrrn

Xahrrn Guest

Yep-purr folks, I took the leap and just bought a M40-A1 from GalleryofGuns.com for $399 (+ tax of course).

I should be picking it up in a few days and am probably not gonna sleep much till I do. It was either this or a new double pedal for my drum kit and a friend gave me the pedal so HAIL YAYESS, the new Steyr it is.

Are there any suggestions for set up out of the box like getting the receiver polished or anything?

Input will be greatly appreciated.

Now, I can go shopping for a gun for the Mrs.

Y'all be well,
    Xahrrn

2. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Just do a good cleaning/lube on it before your first range trip. You're gonna love it. Gallery of Guns usually ships Fedex overnight, you may have it sooner than you think...you should be getting your serial number via email.

Enjoy!

3. West01

West01 New Member

Howdy Xahrrn,

You will be pleasantly surprised. The M40-A1 is a lot of gun for the money. Like Steveinaz mentioned just good cleaning and lube. There is a great tutorial in the portal of Steyrclub website.

https://www.steyrclub.com/_old/downloads ... pistol.pdf

Please read the manual, it surprisingly helpful. :)

You may notice some sticky protective coating on the mags. .It is easy cleaned with light oil.

Don't be afraid to do some dry fire. Got to exercised that trigger and striker. Also don't hesitate to rack the slide a bunch of time. The pistol may have a plastic grip but it is built strong.

I use PMC, Fiocchi or Speer Lawman ammo for the first 200 rounds and never got disappointed. After that you can use anything.

I lost count on ammo fired with my M40-A1. I know it is over 2 thousands.....and I can't recall ever having a jam...

Good Luck!

:D

West01

4. Dag

Dag Guest

New Steyr Owner

Hi Xahrrn

Welcome to the club! Take a look at the tutorials on the Club Home Page. There is a very good cleaning tutorial. There is also a bunch of good info in The New Steyr FAQ thread in the M and S Series Forum. Use quality ammo (no Wolff!) and expect a break-in period of something like 500+ rounds (although there are a number of owners who have never had any problems, even straight out of the box). If you have any questions our concerns, try the search feature first. You will most likely find an answer to your question. Other than that, shoot the heck out of it and be sure to post a range report after your first range trip. :)

Have fun!

Dag

5. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Shopping for the Mrs? I hate to break it to you, but now you can start gun shopping for yourself! I know Im not the only one here who had my Steyr "stolen" by the wifey. Thank God she doesnt have her CCW (yet), or I'd never see my baby. :lol:

Congrats on the new purchase!

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats. A definite yes on the clean, lube, and dry fire.
    Obligatory range report in the making?

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Like everyone else said, just give it a good clean and lube. Definitely don't take to trying to polish anything, etc. unless you think you need to later. Don't "fix" it if it isn't broken. My advise is to throw some CCI downrange on your first trip - don't make the mistake of so many others and start out with a box of UMC or some other crap that our pistols are notorious for not liking. I'd hate for you to get a bad first impression because you took junk ammo along on the first range trip. If you find the grip to be too slippery as I (and others) have, I highly recommend the hogue tool grip - I think it's a much better fit than the universal handall you see so many with, and the pistol practically melts into your hand.

Have fun and be sure to report back! 8)

8. Xahrrn

Xahrrn Guest

Y'all rock

A huge THANKS!!! for all the most helpful input. I want y'all to know that I sincerely appreciate all the help and look forward to hearing more from you as I go.

I printed the manual and will read it fully before I pick up the gun from the dealer so I can get the supplies while I'm there.

I'll take notes on my first outing at the range so I can give an in depth report and I'll use the aforementioned ammo to get started as the suggestion.

The Mrs. will probably want a wheel gun cuz of the "What if it jams?" factor. She used to have a 38 she loved, so I'll keep you posted as to what she picks out.

May you all be well and only have to shoot for practice/fun,
    Xahrrn

9. Xahrrn

Xahrrn Guest

My baby is in da house

I drove the hour and a half to get my baby 3 days ago and I still haven't had time to give it it's initial cleaning because my house is full of grandkids, so I'm thinking of hiding in the bathroom to git'r done.

It's not that I don't want them to know I have it, I just don't want any distractions.

I do believe that this is gonna be an intimate bonding experience. :roll:

I will get this done in the next few days and then it's on to the range.

Y'all be well,
    Xahrrn

10. ryoko

ryoko Guest

Ah so thats why mine did not drop freely, thanks for posting that.

11. Xahrrn

Xahrrn Guest

200 rounds later

I am happy to post that I have not had any jams in the first 200 rounds. This was my biggest worry due to the postings I read before shooting.

I had a most pleasant and uneventful outing for my first 100 rounds and my second was almost as seamless with the exception of the slide not locking back after the last shot for 5 straight mags worth of ammo. The other issue was that the slide loaded a round when I popped in the mag without me unlocking it to do so.

Are there any thoughts on these issues?

As far as the wife stealing my Steyr, she assures me that it is too bulky in the grip for her to feel like it belongs in her hand. She did shoot fairly well with it though. She is looking at renting the Berretta 380 for our next outing at the range.

Any help y'all can offer is greatly appreciated.

I let a Glock owning friend of mine shoot my M40 yesterday and he immediately went into the house after we were done and told his wife how sweet it was, to which she replied..."Does that mean that I'm getting one for my birthday?"

I look forward to hearing from anyone on the issues listed above.

Be well,
    Xahrrn

12. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the mag insertion unlocking the slide is very common in steyrs. most of us consider this a feature. certainly nothing to worry about as the muzzle should be pointed in a safe direction when loading anyway. chance of slam fire? virtually nil.

as far as the slide not locking back... i'd suggest disassembling the mags and cleaning them thoroughly.

they aren't tennifered and are often gooped up with cosmoline. removing this will get them functioning fine.

13. SELFDEFENSE

Unfortunately, the slide on my M9 does not ususally close on mag insertion :(

14. Rick

Rick New Member

Hello from a new member in Houston. Picked up my M9-A1 yesterday. Can't wait for the range this weekend. With all the good info on the forums looks like I'll be well prepared. Like the comment about the cosmoline - took the wraps off the mags and thought what a sticky mess. Will be cleaning as soon as I complete this post.

15. madecov

madecov Active Member

Welcome to everyone.

The Steyr is really one of the best kept secrets in the firearm trade.

One of the best guns ever.

16. SELFDEFENSE

Welcome Rick also.
    One obligation of newbies is a range report. :)