Steyr Club Forums banner
7K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  ThaiBoxer 
#1 ·
This is my first post so I'll make it simple and sweet. I have an M40-A1 I took it on a partial trade (at a value of $200 which is why I said yes in the first place), anyway, while looking it over I did the pencil test, wooden pencil, eraser down the barrel to test the firing pin. The pencil moved, but barely. Again, I took it on a trade value of only $200 with a shoulder holster and 350 rounds, I figured even if there was a problem it was worth it. I haven't tried to shoot it yet, but I doubt it'd strike the primer hard enough anyway. I took the pistol down and removed the firing pin and spring and everything looked okay...not that I have seen an M40-A1 firing pin/spring before. It does have some play when in the striker channel, you can move it up and down a good half cm. Also, not sure if this is related, but sometimes when I pull the trigger and rack the slide to pull the trigger again, the trigger fails to reset, it seems as though I must rack it hard for the trigger to reset reliably ( no mag, empty chamber). Any insight? I appreciate it!

#2 ·
The firing pin should move a bit in the channel.

Did you clean the channel with a q-tip just because?
Might be a piece of brass in there.

I fired 500 rounds though mine and found all sorts of stuff in there.
It functioned fine with it in there, but I was quite surprised by it.

As for the other issue, I've seen it noted here on the forum, somebody else will be able to fill you in.
IIRC it was pretty simple.

#3 ·
Hiya CZ* :)

I'd check the striker an' firin' pin channel first and make sure its spotless. If there's any build up it can interfere or excessive lube can create a "hydro-buffering situation".

Just a thought. <shrug>

Oh, and I suppose the ammo could have the primers set a lit'l deep. <shrug>

G'luck, Bro an' keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- back to 'is rugby test

#5 ·
Hiya CZ*

...then I'd check the striker spring next. <shrug>

If ya can contact the previous owner, ask 'im if he's a Steyrclub member and has toyed w/ it a bit.

I can remember a couple years ago, when I was checkin' out some BT articles and I cut my spring down a bit messin' w/ the trigger pull. I ended up gettin' another spring cause I was havin' some trigger reset issues and a new spring seemed to fix the situation. I'm not sure exactly how come, cause I'm really not that smart. <shrug>

If ya needa nuther spring tho, contact Jeff Reece at SAI.

And, yeah...keep 'er clean an' lightly lubed...and feed 'er good ammo.

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- digs 'is M357-A1 clean, lubed and reliable :thumbsup:

#7 ·
You didn't read my post correctly, I was saying that it was a pet peeve to hear people gripe about dirty pistols they've never cleaned not working...and saying that I indeed cleaned it well. I was NOT being a jackass, I was agreeing with Wulf actually. But thanks anyway for calling me a jackass.

#8 ·
Btw, got an answer to my question. A friend of mine is a K9 officer 2 towns over and he uses a department issued .40 caliber Glock. He said he -thinks- modern .40cal pistols have a faster primer strike than 9mm, so using the eraser end of a pencil, or a rubber check stick as I did to test the firing pin doesn't work. The transfer of energy happens too fast and thus the rubber absorbs it. He said try it with a plastic pen (writing pen) that won't absorb it and see. I tried it, and with a plastic pen, the firing pin sent it flying just as far as my CZ-SP01. So at least out of this misunderstanding a bit of knowledge for anyone who uses rubber function testing sticks, they don't work on all modern .40's/.45's.

#10 · (Edited)
Btw, got an answer to my question. A friend of mine is a K9 officer 2 towns over and he uses a department issued .40 caliber Glock. He said he -thinks- modern .40cal pistols have a faster primer strike than 9mm, so using the eraser end of a pencil, or a rubber check stick as I did to test the firing pin doesn't work. The transfer of energy happens too fast and thus the rubber absorbs it. He said try it with a plastic pen (writing pen) that won't absorb it and see. I tried it, and with a plastic pen, the firing pin sent it flying just as far as my CZ-SP01. So at least out of this misunderstanding a bit of knowledge for anyone who uses rubber function testing sticks, they don't work on all modern .40's/.45's.

Just tried this with a M9 A1 I have had sitting in safe and have yet to fire but with numerous Glock pencils new, flat wood and lead side up against firing pin, Threw the pencil across the room, left a strike mark in the center of lead, tried the same pencil same side and would not leave the barrel due to the indentation in the lead, went through about 40 new pencils with all the same result. When used eraser end, pencil would jump but not leave barrel.Having been building my own 1911s that will through a pencil eraser side in across the room hammer fired, I was surprised with results. Just tried the same thing with a Glock 17 with the exact same results as with the Steyr. Must be striker fired pistols MO. One day I will have to shoot this Steyr seems like a good build and great ergonomics.

#11 ·
You didn't read my post correctly, I was saying that it was a pet peeve to hear people gripe about dirty pistols they've never cleaned not working...and saying that I indeed cleaned it well. I was NOT being a jackass, I was agreeing with Wulf actually. But thanks anyway for calling me a jackass.
not an excuse per say, but it was easy to read wrong. i did the first time myself...cause i sped through it. plus everyone has an off day.....i avoid forums when i'm having one. course i'm not a moderator, and moderators can't take days off like i can. they do not have that luxury.

you handled the critique well, and i am sure our moderator will be back to agree. he's a good fellow in my dealings here. firm but fair, imho.

btw, welcome to the forum......now that i'm done sticking my nose where it doesn't belong.:)

#13 ·
My apologies to the OP - I obviously did misinterpret his message and was overzealous in my response.

The pencil trick is always a good function test after you tear the gun down for cleaning or disassembly. It provides some peace of mind that you didn't goop up the striker channel.

#14 ·
Yeah! That's what we were debating, whether it was a .40 thing, or a striker thing (CZ are my forte as you can see, and they yield the same across the room results). He said he had a striker fired 9mm that would send a pencil rubber down flying and that's why he thought it was just .40's. I was actually JUST about to send an email to a friend who has Glocks and XD's in all calibers to ask him to see if his 9mm's would send it flying. Thanks for the info Kat1950. Btw, I shot the pistol today, only 50 rounds because it's freezing and windy but it was flawless. The sights are my new favorites...if it were possible to put them on every pistol I own, I would. The trigger is almost as good as my go to gun aka my CZ SP-01...that says a lot. The grip angle gave me a little trouble when drawing, but I got used to it and it feels great. A little blocky because I'm used to thin CZ's and this gun is a bit wide, but to people who still argue a Glock's trigger is better or more ergonomic than this pistol are simply being nostalgic about their Glock. I'm a 9mm guy but I can tell you this much: this M40-A1 is staying with me unless I get a trade on an M9-A1 in like new condition just like this weapon is. Thanks guys.

PS: No problem Syntax, crap happens.

#15 ·
I went to my gun vault, extracted 2 M40A1s and 2 M9A1s. I checked that each was clear, then re-checked. Not having any un-sharpened pencils about, and not wishing to complicate my life, I used the eraser side. I picked a new pencil that came sharpened but was unused, placed the eraser of the pencil in first, pointed it straight up and pulled the trigger.

Each pistol ejected the pencil from the muzzle. Both 9mm and both .40s. I did not detect any difference in the vigor with which the pencil was expelled.

And Syntax needs to really grovel more in his apologies. I'd like to see text that was more like:

"I was totally frickin stupid in my enormous gaffe that was due to the massive overconfidence that comes from wielding enormous Mod power, as well as my naturally inflated ego. If I live 1,000 years from a genetic enhancement package that was stuck up my icehole, and I kneeled daily in abject apology in front of the OP's front lawn, I will never be able to recover from the shame I have brought myself, my family, and each and every SteyrClub member, each Steyr owner, former Steyr owner, or guy who has ever phinger-phucked a Steyr product in a gun shop."

That has a bit more sincerity, i think.
:)

#16 ·
Bwaahahahahahaahahahahahh!

#18 ·
Just tried this with a M9 A1 I have had sitting in safe and have yet to fire but with numerous Glock pencils new, flat wood and lead side up against firing pin, Threw the pencil across the room, left a strike mark in the center of lead, tried the same pencil same side and would not leave the barrel due to the indentation in the lead, went through about 40 new pencils with all the same result. When used eraser end, pencil would jump but not leave barrel.Having been building my own 1911s that will through a pencil eraser side in across the room hammer fired, I was surprised with results. Just tried the same thing with a Glock 17 with the exact same results as with the Steyr. Must be striker fired pistols MO. One day I will have to shoot this Steyr seems like a good build and great ergonomics.

Well after reading a lot here, I decided to go to range and fire this M9 A1, having never fired it. My M9 A1 will not eject a pencil Out the barrel eraser side against firing pin, this and along with all these other problems,( extractor and spring, erratic brass extraction in all areas including brass to head,mag springs,weak firing pin strikes, etc,) I was expecting an afternoon of nothing but problems. Being from Florida I loaded up 7 mags with Georgia Arms new ammo, 2 mags with their full metal jacket 115 grain which I buy in 1,000 round ammo cans,and 5 mags with their 9mm Luger 124 gr Gold Dot Hollow Point +P (FPS:1200). Slid target out to 15 yard marker, started with the +P mags, fired first mag,No problems, same with the next 4 mags,then fired the 2 mags with 115 gr ball (Bulk New Ammo) No problems? Is this the same pistol I keep reading all of these negative reviews on, so I loaded another 7 mags, again no problems, did this 5 more times, all with not one FTF or FTE. That was 735 rounds with no problems. Took 5 rounds and had sights down (thanks to Sticky here)all 7 silhouette targets with a tennis ball size hole center mass. Took this gun in on a trade LNIB from a 30 year friend who said he bought new and put 400 rounds through, said he had 10 to 15 FTE problems in the first 200 rounds and none in the remaining 200 rounds.I do not know if he changed extractor (will call him tomorrow and ask)the mags were 5 17 rounders and 2 15 rounders. Right now I have to admit that this weapon will out perform my 8 glocks in accuracy, less recoil, better ergonomics, and far superior trigger. I know now That this gun will accompany me to range with my Les Baers and Ed Brown 1911s.

Reactions: Talyn
#19 ·
Hiya kat* :)

Uhhh...what's your point?!

J/K ;)

I'm glad your experience was so awesome! :thumbsup:

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- digs Ed Brown Bobtails :drool:

Well after reading a lot here, I decided to go to range and fire this M9 A1, having never fired it...Right now I have to admit that this weapon will out perform my 8 glocks in accuracy, less recoil, better ergonomics, and far superior trigger. I know now That this gun will accompany me to range with my Les Baers and Ed Brown 1911s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.