Walther PPK?

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by YellowPerchMan, Mar 6, 2013.

1. YellowPerchMan

YellowPerchMan New Member

Anyone have the S&W version? I have read there is much ado about the S&W version. What are your thoughts?

2. BBFrst

BBFrst New Member

I have a S&W PPK/S. I was pretty unhappy with the condition it was in when I got it, there were several deep scratches on the barrel. I had a few jams before putting 200 rounds through it. I took it to the range today and it performed flawlessly for 50+ rounds. I love the design of the gun. It is a great choice for a concealed carry, and is very accurate. I still need to send mine in for a recall on the de-cocker, but it is a great gun. Saw one for sale at the range for $569. They have gone up nearly $100 since I got mine!

3. r10tm4k3r

r10tm4k3r New Member

I purchased one brand new about 8 months ago. I kept getting double feeds in one of the two magazines that it came with. After about 100 rounds of breaking in the mags, it ran flawlessly. I used it as my pocket carry ccw for the last 6 months before finding a M&P Shield.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

4. YellowPerchMan

Thanks guys. I sold a few handguns last weekend at a show along with my woodworking. So I came across some $$$. A little known gun shop with night only areas had one in stock. I got a list of the serial #s that were recalled and this one was made after it. So based on that, I picked it up for $550. I put about 150 rounds through it today and had no hiccups. All rounds functioned flawlessly. So I'm happy. I wasn't happy about the groupings I'm getting. Was to the right at 7 yards about 1.5-2 inches. Super tight groupings though, like my Steyrs. Once I changed my sight picture to the left edge of the bullseye I was fine. FWIW, I did rack the slide on it about 400 times prior to shooting and cleaned the heck out of it prior to going to the range. That spring is pretty stiff!!! May go to Wolff and get a replacement 17#.

5. BBFrst

BBFrst New Member

After having several jams I oiled it well and racked the slide a bunch before taking it to the range the other day. I think that really helped. It seemed to loosen up while I was racking it. I put at least 60 rounds through it with no problems. For what it is I can't say enough about the gun.

6. YellowPerchMan

Yeah BB....it's pretty sweet. And definitely iconic!! Not only James Bond, but it is a platform that many others stole from (ie., makarovs, which I'm getting an East German one here soon). Carried it all this weekend since it was relatively nice weather, especially today, here in WV. Got a soft suede IWB from Quest and carried all day today with a hockey jersey covering it. No issues of printing. I was under the impression the mags were 7 round capacity, and if they are then I'm having a devil of a time getting the seventh in them. I'm carrying the flush floor plate mag with 6 Cor Bons loaded. At the range, I ran through the decocker scenario with weapon pointed down range several times and had no issues. (whew!!!)

Oh and by the way, I did take a closer look at my sights and saw that the rear sight is definitely off center to the left. I'm estimating probably 1/16th (didn't take any measurement with my calipers) of an inch. That would explain my groupings. The fella I'm getting my Mak from is actually a smith, so I may have him move them to the right. That shouldn't be too hard for him or too expensive and he's probably done it a million times whereas I've done it zero times.

7. Pier23

Pier23 New Member

It took me three tries to get a PPK /S that worked properly. Had probs with jams and pins falling out. This one is OK I think. The Smith logo really screws up the attractiveness of the piece, but thrilled to have it.

You may want to look at the Sig 232, arguably this is what the PPK should have been....beautiful and dead reliable.

Now, I have NOT heard of any issues with the .32 PPK...I think the 7.62 (??) round is what the PPK was designed for.

8. BBFrst

BBFrst New Member

I think the regular PPK is 6rd, and the PPK/S is 7rd. My rear sight is off to the left too. My friend has one that was made by Interarms and it seems like it is of higher quality than the S&W. To be honest if I had realized it was made by S&W I probably would have gone with the Sig Pier mentioned. That was the gun I originally wanted, but the Walther was less expensive. It is a great design, though.

9. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

I had a french made ppk/s, it was the worst gun that I ever owned! a jam-o-matic! would only shoot hard ball rounds reliably, it 'bit' on every shot taken, an absolute horror show.
    it is a very old gun, there are newer and far better choice out there than a PPK/s

10. elsullo

elsullo Member

The Interarms PPk is much better made than the S&W, but the slide-bite problem is real. The S&W has a much longer frame tang which helps prevent the slide-bite. I found putting a finger ridge grip sleeve on my Interarms pistol to really help stop the bite by helping to get a lower and tighter grasp. Polishing the feedramp and the top of the chamber with "crocus cloth" wrapped over some pencil erasers made the pistol function utterly flawlessly! If you see a decent used Interarms PPk---BUY IT!..............elsullo