Walther PP Super

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Buzz, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Howdy. I just picked up a Walther PP Super in 9mm Ultra (9x18 Ultra) on Gunbroker.com http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/503/ultralm8.jpg I've wanted one of these since I first saw them back in the Seventies. Does anyone have any experience with this pistol?

Buzz

2. majette

majette Member

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Yup, I've belonged to the Walther Forum for a while. Good info for Walther fans. As the PP Super is my fifth Walther I guess I'm a Walther fan. I was hoping that maybe someone here had some experience with the gun as I'm always interested in someone's opinion who has a common frame of reference, in this case the Steyr.

Everything that I have read about the PP Super indicates that it is superior medium size pistol that died an early death due to the timing of it's release and the trends that were begining at that time. The gun also interests me as it's early demise is a parallel to the early death of the Steyr GB, both outstanding pistols that were a victim of timing rather than merit.

The gun is said to be a very nice shooter and extremely accurate. Of course the issue is the round that it fires, the 9mm (9x18) Ultra, a round first developed for the Luftwaffe but abandoned before the war. At $21 per $50 the gun is not going to be a plinker but an experience more to be savored rather than guzzled. It will be interesting firing it right next to my P7 PSP, another German ex-police gun, one that directly led to the PP Super's early end. With my P1 I can see a collecting trend begining here with a P5 purchase planned for some time in the future.

Buzz

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Awesome Walther.
    Have you heard anything on the shootability of the new PPS?

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I haven't heard anything from anyone who has shot one or even held one. Relase is two or three months off. I've heard the reail is $539. Here's a look at it with all three mags. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PPS

6. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I posted this at the Walther group but will share it here as well. It appears I scored a civilain PP Super when i thought it was an ex-police gun. There were only 4000 imported. The ex-police are far more common (and still not a common gun):

The gun is now in hand. There appear to be no police markings. The only markings other than the Walther slide text is "Interarms, Alexandria Virginia, on the frame above the trigger area. On the left side at frame front there is a small circle with a dot in the middle. On the barrel is the eagle over "N" in a large stamp on the barrel right side by the muzzle. The eagle over "N" on the frame is on the area through the ejection port along with the stag horn and 76. That's 1976, I assume, which is the tear that I graduated from high school. This gun was not listed as an ex-police gun, and if I'm not mistaken it does not appear to be one. Maybe I'm wrong on that but there are no police proof marks.

The condition of this gun is as advertised at around 96% or so. The only real wear is on the slide up by the muzzle and on the front strap of the grip, but is nothing that bothers me or would lead me to having this gun refinished. The bluing of the slide is absolutely beautiful, with a definite blue hue to it and very glossy. I'm used to more modern utilitarian satin and matte finishes, so this kind of blows me away. The grips are actually okay but show sign of wear with dings and scratches, but not too bad. I will be replacing them anyway, hopefully with Uncut's guys grips, but for now they are fine.

The condition of the internal components is very clean with zero apparent wear. This gun has not been fired very much. It fits my hands like a glove. I have largish hands and most of my pinky rests at the very bottom with just a hair haging over the bottom, not enough to be an issue. The trigger pull is very nice, crisp with just a tiny bit of creep. The double action is more stout but very nice, I would guess at around 12 pounds. I have a .380 snap cap in it and the primer is dimpling the cap. The de-cocking lever is functional.

At this point I am very pleased, to say the least.

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Here's a photo of my Walther PP Super in 9mm Ultra from Gunbroker.com. The gun turned out to be much nicer than advertised with the finest finish of any gun that I've had the pleasure to own. The little holster wear touched up beautifully. It appears to be a civilian version rather than the much more common ex-police version that I thought I was buying, a nice bonus. I really appreciate it when a sellers under-represents the condition of a gun. I really love the size of the gun, more of a mid-size than a compact like the PPK. I hope to shoot it this weekend.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9326/img2340sc5.jpg

Buzz

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Very alluring to a Walther semi-afficianado

9. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

I have one and several boxes of ammo . They can be purchased on the web at Reeds Ammunition ,At last they were $18 (US) for a box of 50 .You will love it .It is very powerful cartridge Suprised me. They also sold me a set of dies for $85

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  10. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

Do not let go of it .The last one I saw was on Broker and went a little over $700 no box or info ,just the gun . I have the box and paperwork . Please dont let anyone talk you into shooting 380 ammo in it . Does not fit unless it was one of the few last ones made . They are 9mm kurtz