wal-mart ammunition

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by tglahn17, Jun 29, 2006.

1. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, everyone,

I've recently read on other Internet sites that national brand ammunition sold at Wal-Mart is inferior in quality to the same ammunition sold in other stores. Because of the monopsonistic nature of Wal-Mart, these otherwise well-respected ammunition manufacturers are forced to make cheaper, inferior quality product for Wal-Mart. Is this true, or just another Internet hoax? Has anyone here had any problems with ammunition bought at Wal-Mart? Thanks,

2. ShelbyV8

ShelbyV8 New Member

I don't think Winchester retools and sets up to make crappy ammo just for Walmart. It is the same ammo that is sold in other locations. I have never had any problems with Walmart ammo. I have even carried WWB JHP ammo for self defence. According to the Winchester web page the ballastics are identical to Silver Tip.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

WWB will be the same no matter where you buy it. I could definitely see how a gun store would spew that kind of crap rumour to make customers buy their products. I've never had any problems. Most report WWB to be dirtier than a lot of other types, but since most of us clean our pistols after each range trip and don't shoot thousands of rounds at a time, that is hardly a problem.

4. soapyballs

soapyballs New Member

I buy Winchester from Walmart and I've shot about 3000 rounds of WWB through my M40 & S9's without any problems.

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Our guys buy the WWB from Wallyworld all the time and have no problems with it. Doubt the original post.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Howdy All :)

I shot probably close to a 1000 rounds of the Winchester 125 GR FP's from Wal-Mart getting started with my M357-A1. Where I live, there's not much choice and local retail gunshops don't carry much in the way of 357 SIG ammo or reloading supplies. I never had much trouble with the Wal-Mart Winchester ammo, and that was through the break-in period, but I really didn't have anything else to compare it to. I can remember gathering some once-fired brass from an indoor range in Walsenbergh, CO and I distinctly remember sorting through the 1000's of rounds of the SIG brass and finding R-P brass with obvious setback issues, and a few Winchesters, as well. I'm thinking that probably a lot of the negativism about Wal-Mart ammo is indeed a reaction from small retailers voicing their discontent having to deal with a retailer that can undercut their prices by as much as 50%. <shrug> Anyway, hava great weekend.

Wulf

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I've shot 1,000's of rounds of WalMart bought Winchester through my Beretta and have had very few misfires/no-fires.

I think this is a hoax/backlash.

8. madecov

madecov Active Member

It's absolutely true.
    Wal-Mart had Winchester set up a factory just for them in China so they could sell ammo cheaper than anyone else.

It's inferior to regular US made Winchester and the extra profit is kpt in a special account to cover the law suits that will result from using sub standard ammo. :roll: :roll: :roll:

9. armored

armored New Member

I can't comment on that. But, I buy the Blazer at Walmart, cleaner, more accurate and cheaper than the Winchester and UMC value packs. I have NOTHING bad to say about the Blazer. If I can't find Blazer I shoot UMC.very few problems with that.
    I walk if all they have in stock is Winchester White Box.

10. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Hehe... :lol:

-D

11. drsmith58

drsmith58 New Member

WWB

All the FTEs I've had have been with Wally World WWB 165 gr FMJ. I've shot about 300 rds and for about $17 for a 100 rds that is what I was shooting mostly. But the Wally World Remmington 180 JHP for under $22 per 100 rds fired flawlessly.

12. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I have never had any problems with the WWB...since theire was a price increase I switched to CCI Brass Blazer...seems to be cleaner than WWB.

13. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

OK,

It's off to Wal-Mart for ammo. Thanks,

14. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, everyone,

I just fired a box of Wal-Mart WWB 115-grain FMJ through my M9A1. I had no malfunctions. The ammo looks solid. The only problem was that this 100-round box had only 98 rounds. Thanks,

15. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

most wwb 115gr 100 rounds packs I have bought had 101-102 rounds.

I just fired a box of wwb 115gr the other day. it was loaded on the warm side the primers flattened and flowed a little. ran flawlessly.

16. Auburn

Auburn New Member

My local WalMarts here in VA quit selling Blazer. I guess now some stores around the country carry it...and some don't. I miss it! Now all WM sells here is WWB and UMC.